Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Cyber Monday 2018 - $200 off the Pentax KP - just $697!
Posted By: Adam, 11-21-2018, 10:49 PM

The Pentax KP just dipped by $200 at B&H as an early Black Friday deal. Get yours at the lowest price of the year and score a free lens while you're at it!

Pentax KP Body
21% Off / $185 Below Average

Year's price range: $697 - $900
Request Price Alert | Reviews

Pentax KP Body (Silver)
21% Off / $188 Below Average

Year's price range: $697 - $900
Request Price Alert | Reviews
Views: 13,929
11-23-2018, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is disconcerting to me. I would purchase KP, but only if none of the 2019 stuff appeals to me, and by then the KPs may all be gone - it really does seem that Pentax may be ending this product also.
But at 697, does it matter...If you need the GPS--but a GPS-01 for about $170, even with this add on (the KP has the fill-in flash regardless) the net cost is only $870. 27 focal points--best ISO limit....it's a no brainer

11-23-2018, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great deal on a great camera. I would be pulling the trigger if I did not already have one.
11-23-2018, 06:16 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
But at 697, does it matter...If you need the GPS--but a GPS-01 for about $170, even with this add on (the KP has the fill-in flash regardless) the net cost is only $870. 27 focal points--best ISO limit....it's a no brainer
Which is why I purchased one eight hours ago. What finally pushed me was the concern fear that KP inventory would be like K-7/5/3 inventory - not there when I was ready.
11-23-2018, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Put in my order for the KP+18-55. I wanted to wait to see the K70 deals but I don't want the sale to suddenly end on me.

11-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which is why I purchased one eight hours ago. What finally pushed me was the concern fear that KP inventory would be like K-7/5/3 inventory - not there when I was ready.
I am so looking forward to the KP--at $697 for the bundled kit, it doesn't matter what Pentax does in 3 months at CP+ because any new APS-c offering will be almost double the price. The updates of the firmware in these cameras also extends their lifespan...The KP, by adding the GPS-01 device turns it into a K-3ii killer--with the latest Prime IV IQ inside, it's outrageously good. The fact that it can use the BG-7 battery grip means I can use my extra K-1ii and K-3 batteries to enhance the shot capacity by double or triple the rated 400 off the LI09 battery in body.

The only real missing item is the 2nd card slot (I can live without that limited utility), but the tilting screen is a good compromise for the missing top screen (the same data is in the viewfinider anyway). The on board flash, though not as powerful as the K-S2's can still fill in nicely (6m/ISO-100)....The adjustable grips make it smaller for travel especially when you have the $$ you saved invested in a couple of limited prime pancake lenses...
11-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is one of the best Pentax deals of all time IMO. Find me another camera that's this good, at this price, and with a lens!
Nikon D3500 with 18-55 and 70-300 lens kit is selling for $500 at Costco that comes with a Bag, Extra battery, and a 32GB SD card. I agree its not nearly as good of a body as KP (D3500 is down right cheap feeling and it actually is) but it has possibly the same sensor as KP and that 24mp sony sensor is no slouch. So there are competing deals for noobes
11-23-2018, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Plastic Kit Nikon 3500--Not the Same as KP

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Nikon D3500 with 18-55 and 70-300 lens kit is selling for $500 at Costco that comes with a Bag, Extra battery, and a 32GB SD card. I agree its not nearly as good of a body as KP (D3500 is down right cheap feeling and it actually is) but it has possibly the same sensor as KP and that 24mp sony sensor is no slouch. So there are competing deals for noobes
What you said, with all due respect is not accurate....let's review: possible similar24mp sensor, but Pentax has it surrounded by HDR, pixel shift, optional GPS/Astrotracer, GB-7 grip, Weather sealed and cold proofed down to 14 degrees, all Magnesium exterior with steel chassis.....really? No difference? Big differences. Like saying a VW v6 is the same as a super-tuned Audi v6.....same engine block? Sure....but same performance? Hardly.

The KP is a serious pro-sumer camera, while the D3500 is glorified point and shoot....again with all due respect.

11-23-2018, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #38
FS1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
What you said, with all due respect is not accurate....let's review: possible similar24mp sensor, but Pentax has it surrounded by HDR, pixel shift, optional GPS/Astrotracer, GB-7 grip, Weather sealed and cold proofed down to 14 degrees, all Magnesium exterior with steel chassis.....really? No difference? Big differences. Like saying a VW v6 is the same as a super-tuned Audi v6.....same engine block? Sure....but same performance? Hardly.

The KP is a serious pro-sumer camera, while the D3500 is glorified point and shoot....again with all due respect.
Definitely. The list could go on for the pro-sumer advantages (true photography user interface, 5 customizable presets right on the dial, tilt LCD...) and the accelerator seems to provide better image quality (especially for high ISO situations) even for similar/identical sensors. And even for a noob, just the 5-Axis shake reduction system would make a huge difference.
11-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FS1 Quote
Definitely. The list could go on for the pro-sumer advantages (true photography user interface, 5 customizable presets right on the dial, tilt LCD...) and the accelerator seems to provide better image quality (especially for high ISO situations) even for similar/identical sensors. And even for a noob, just the 5-Axis shake reduction system would make a huge difference.
Exactly.......not even close, but unless you have a true understanding of cameras and the human interface, flexibility, options for exposures, etc., any DSLR looks the same.
11-24-2018, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #40

This price is only $50 more than what I paid for my K-r way back when. I had decided to forego upgrading, but the silver KP at this price was irresistible so my purchase is in! Unfortunately, adorama is backordered right now.
11-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dieselpunk Quote
This price is only $50 more than what I paid for my K-r way back when. I had decided to forego upgrading, but the silver KP at this price was irresistible so my purchase is in! Unfortunately, adorama is backordered right now.
B&H still has some.

I went with them since the 18-55mm would just go on a closet shelf next to my other one.
11-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #42

B&H still has some.
I went with them since the 18-55mm would just go on a closet shelf next to my other one.
I was thinking along the same lines, but then I realized none of my existing lenses are actually weather-sealed so I went with the adorama listing to get at least one.
11-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dieselpunk Quote
I was thinking along the same lines, but then I realized none of my existing lenses are actually weather-sealed so I went with the adorama listing to get at least one.
That totally makes sense ... but in my case, the lens is the WR variant - the same lens being given away by Adorama - kitted with my K-30, and the 18-135 is WR also.
11-24-2018, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

I am willing to spend that if it meets my needs. At age 71 {next month} I expect this to be my last camera, and I can think of things that would make a new camera better than a KP in my eyes. Since Ricoh is being so incredibly tight-lipped about their plans, I will just 'sit tight' for a few months. I know how to be patient.
I'm finding that being patient is much easier when the event is in the unknowable 'distant' future. FedEx tracking tells me that my KP is now in Clarion PA, and I find myself asking why the scheduled delivery date is Tuesday, not Monday, when I could drive there from here in eight hours or so.
11-24-2018, 04:07 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm finding that being patient is much easier when the event is in the unknowable 'distant' future. FedEx tracking tells me that my KP is now in Clarion PA, and I find myself asking why the scheduled delivery date is Tuesday, not Monday, when I could drive there from here in eight hours or so.
FedEx and UPS can aggravate me so much. Mine was shipped UPS Friday, is sitting about 8 hours north of me, and also has a delivery date of Tuesday...