Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sigma 18-35/f1.8 is on daily deal at BH
Posted By: shardulm, 12-04-2018, 09:06 AM

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Pentax K 210-109 B&H

Wonder if this is a great price or only a tad bit cheaper.
Views: 915
12-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its a great price for a fantastic lens. Best addition to my kit in years. Sharp, sharp, sharp with great contrast and light management. BIG and heavy too, but on a tripod that's not an issue. Carrying it around is another issue.
12-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Has there been a fix for this lens? With my K-5IIs it only focuses in live view. Looking through the viewfinder, the autofocus isn't accurate. In live view mode, the image is spot on. FYI from about 27mm to 35mm, it works well in full frame mode.
12-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kraigg007 Quote
Has there been a fix for this lens? With my K-5IIs it only focuses in live view. Looking through the viewfinder, the autofocus isn't accurate. In live view mode, the image is spot on. FYI from about 27mm to 35mm, it works well in full frame mode.
You should upgrade the firmware in your lens and/or send it in to Sigma. These are per-copy quirks related to their reverse-engineering of the Pentax AF protocol, it seems.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I shoot with it nearly every day on my K5IIs and have had a total of 0 problems, issues, or mis-focuses with it. Absolutely perfect performance and well worth every penny.
12-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I shoot with it nearly every day on my K5IIs and have had a total of 0 problems, issues, or mis-focuses with it. Absolutely perfect performance and well worth every penny.
I have even sent it in with my k5-IIs and it came back with the same issue. I read the 18-35mm review on this sight and saw that this was a typical problem and gave up on it. It has been in my back unless i am doing a landscape shoot where I can use live view effectively. Otherwise it is useless. Super sharp in live view mode, out of focus through the viewfinder of everyday shooting.

I am glad you have a great copy. It has potential but my experience must be isolated. Or maybe not.
12-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have even sent it in with my k5-IIs and it came back with the same issue. I read the 18-35mm review on this sight and saw that this was a typical problem and gave up on it. It has been in my back unless i am doing a landscape shoot where I can use live view effectively. Otherwise it is useless. Super sharp in live view mode, out of focus through the viewfinder of everyday shooting.

I am glad you have a great copy. It has potential but my experience must be isolated. Or maybe not.
Sorry you've had such a problem with yours. Have you tried editing the settings using the USB base?

12-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry you've had such a problem with yours. Have you tried editing the settings using the USB base?

I need to get one of those USB bases. i have multiple sigma lenses, but no base for updates.
12-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I need to get one of those USB bases. i have multiple sigma lenses, but no base for updates.
Try KEH. I got one for $25ish when no one else was selling them for less than MSRP. With $50 total shipping is free.
12-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You should upgrade the firmware in your lens and/or send it in to Sigma.
This is rather unhelpful as there is no new firmware for Pentax K mount versions of this lens.

Getting the USB lens dock lets you alter AF calibration for each focal length, however the degree of adjustment is pretty limited.

I used these adjustments after multiple calibration runs with a lens align test target.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-04-2018 at 05:12 PM.
12-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
This is rather unhelpful as there is no new firmware for Pentax K mount versions of this lens.

Getting the USB lens dock lets you alter AF calibration for each focal length, however the degree of adjustment is pretty limited.

I used these adjustments after multiple calibration runs with a lens align test target.
Seems FAR more versatile than 1 global adjustment available in camera.
12-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, however most of the focus issues users experience typically occur between 2m and infinity. As you can see from the screenshot, there is zero faculty for adjustment in that specific focus range.

The need for a reliable focus target just to iron out any inherent AF mis-calibration, this however does not eliminate the seemingly random AF misses.