Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
Rokinon 100mm Macro - 35% off or more!
Posted By: Adam, 12-06-2018, 08:27 PM

This just popped up as our deal of the day on the homepage, but I figured I'd post it because there's an easy way to get this lens for even less than advertised.

Rokinon 100mm F2.8 full-frame telephoto macro lens

Right now, it's showing as costing just $356.40 on Amazon, which is over $150 below MSRP. If you use an amazon prime credit card to check out, the final cost will be 20% less, or about $280!

Views: 1,096
12-06-2018, 10:09 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, the 20% Amazon prime credit offer is available on a variety of Rokinon and Samyang lenses (maybe others, I didn't look through everything). Some are available in multiple mounts, and when you browse the list of 20% elligible products, they may not say Pentax, but if you click it and select the mount options, if it has Pentax K mount, the 20% is still applicable, from what I can tell. For example:

amazon.com : Rokinon 85M-E 85mm F1.4 Fixed Lens for Sony, E-Mount and for Other Cameras : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
12-13-2018, 04:17 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Looks like the 100mm has further dipped to $294. With the 20% discount, you'd be looking at under $250 total!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
Forum Member

Hi,

Please tell me how this compares to the DFA 100 mm macro Pentax brand.
I know the DFA has AF and weather resistance.

Does the Rokinon compare well in quality and build ?

Thanks for your advice

12-15-2018, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery
It appears to be a manual focus.
12-15-2018, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The price is now down to $265.64, which is a screaming good deal.

QuoteOriginally posted by radman Quote
Hi,

Please tell me how this compares to the DFA 100 mm macro Pentax brand.
I know the DFA has AF and weather resistance.
Thanks for your advice
The D-FA is also considerably smaller and lighter. Filter threads of 49mm on the D-FA, and 67mm on the Rokinon. Optically I can't see how any lens could improve on the brilliance of the D-FA.

Where the Rokinon could be a distinct advantage is in its manual aperture ring, if you are using manual extension tubes to increase magnification beyond 1:1. The WR variant of the D-FA doesn't have a manual aperture ring (while the non-WR version does). The Rokinon also has a much longer focus throw, which is better for manual focus. The D-FA is long-ish throw at macro distances, and very very short outside of the macro environment.

I bet they're slashing the prices on the Rokinon, because before they were 1-to-1 with the D-FA / WR, making the Pentax lens a no-brainer. But at $265 now... that puts value back in the competitive mix.
12-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
The price is now down to $265.64, which is a screaming good deal.

The D-FA is also considerably smaller and lighter. Filter threads of 49mm on the D-FA, and 67mm on the Rokinon. Optically I can't see how any lens could improve on the brilliance of the D-FA.

Where the Rokinon could be a distinct advantage is in its manual aperture ring, if you are using manual extension tubes to increase magnification beyond 1:1. The WR variant of the D-FA doesn't have a manual aperture ring (while the non-WR version does). The Rokinon also has a much longer focus throw, which is better for manual focus. The D-FA is long-ish throw at macro distances, and very very short outside of the macro environment.

I bet they're slashing the prices on the Rokinon, because before they were 1-to-1 with the D-FA / WR, making the Pentax lens a no-brainer. But at $265 now... that puts value back in the competitive mix.
Thanks for all that disasterfilm. I appreciate your insights into the lens.

Sincerely

12-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I believe the Rokinon/Samyang is an internal focus design, if that's important to you... I agree that at ~$260, that's a smoking hot deal.