Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
11-18 & 35/2 Now Available for Preorder From Pentax Australia
Posted By: BruceBanner, 02-12-2019, 09:26 PM

Had a nice chat with Pentax Australia todau and they've kindly updated the website for the new lenses. Get your pre-orders in now! Exciting stuff!

11-18 Ricoh Imaging | Pentax HD DA 11-18mm f2.8 ED DC Lens

35/2 Ricoh Imaging | Pentax HD FA 35mm f2.0
Views: 2,568
02-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The 11-18 is an eye-popping $1,925, due 25/02/19.

35/2 is priced OK at $495 and also due 25/02/19.

If one is lucky, perhaps another one of those Pentax '15% discount' deals will become available shortly after the lens arrival date.
02-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Finally , I had been watching the Australian site to see when it would show up as even an announcement, I want one, but, will probably end up waiting for a few months or so, for it to come on sale at dcxpert during one of those 20poocent sales. But generally these newer lenses don't get on their site for quite some time.
02-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sure, this is Classic Marketing.

They won't be the Black Friday prices, they won't be the Dcexpert prices, they won't even be the shelf prices in three years' time, but they are the launch prices aimed at that minority who Simply Must Have It Now.

We work for these people, rather than them for us, they're the Price Insensitive Lexus owners.

02-13-2019, 01:47 AM - 2 Likes   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Price Insensitive Lexus owners
…. without whom we would not have lightly used lenses on the market sooner or later.
02-13-2019, 01:57 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This relatively price-insensitive Lexus non-owner will probably be patient. There's a lot like about this new lens, but when all is said and done my DFA15-30 is pretty good.
02-13-2019, 03:31 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Finally , I had been watching the Australian site to see when it would show up as even an announcement, I want one, but, will probably end up waiting for a few months or so, for it to come on sale at dcxpert during one of those 20poocent sales. But generally these newer lenses don't get on their site for quite some time.
I had a rather long chat with Mr Kennedy today, he was very interested to hear how some of us (like myself) use B&H, sometimes DCXpert, sometimes Pentax Australia and even sometimes CRKennedy site itself. I explained that we all used Price Watch here and inform one another when ebay has given a 20% code for DCXpert. He wasn't at all put off by the fact that some of us use DCXpert the most. I told him occasionally we use Pentax Australia but that 8.5% or 10-15% sales are not really enough to nudge us over compared to waiting out for a 20% off code. I said I was sorry I buy more from DCxpert than direct from Pentax but he claims it makes no difference to them, it's still a sale regardless, and he's happy that ebay do this 20% off thing as they absorb the loss not him (unlike when Pentax Australia actually discount it hits them directly).

He actually assured me that the HD FA 35/2 will make it's way to DCXpert. The main difference between PA & DC is that PA can take backorders whereas DC can't so much. Fingers cross the lenses show up sooner rather than later down at DCXpert.

02-13-2019, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

And at least with DCXpert on ebay, they only put up for sale items that they have directly in hand. No wait, no items on display but not in stock.
02-13-2019, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And at least with DCXpert on ebay, they only put up for sale items that they have directly in hand. No wait, no items on display but not in stock.
Yup he said that. It goes both ways tho, sometimes I wouldn't mind jumping on the deal and then waiting a week or two for the item to arrive. I also mentioned how we all appreciate what is essentially free express delivery.
02-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

82mm ......ok. $1399.95 US through Ricoh , B&H and Adorama

https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/index.php/hd-pentax-da-11-18mmf2-8ed-dc-aw
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1456862-REG/pentax_21230_hd_pentax_da_11_18mm.html

https://www.adorama.com/l/?searchinfo=pentax+11-18

but only $1599 through Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Pentax-HD-DA-11-18mmF2-8ED-DC-AW/dp/B07MVZ9ZDK/ref=sr...s=pentax+11-18

Last edited by Docrwm; 02-13-2019 at 03:26 PM.
02-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This relatively price-insensitive Lexus non-owner will probably be patient. There's a lot like about this new lens, but when all is said and done my DFA15-30 is pretty good.
This ^^^^^^^^^^

Whilst I really like this new 11-18 , it is a few years late to be a priority lens, I too , am very happy with the DFA 15-30 on the K-1, so am happy to wait a little. ( unless I don't.....)

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I had a rather long chat with Mr Kennedy today, he was very interested to hear how some of us (like myself) use B&H, sometimes DCXpert, sometimes Pentax Australia and even sometimes CRKennedy site itself. I explained that we all used Price Watch here and inform one another when ebay has given a 20% code for DCXpert. He wasn't at all put off by the fact that some of us use DCXpert the most. I told him occasionally we use Pentax Australia but that 8.5% or 10-15% sales are not really enough to nudge us over compared to waiting out for a 20% off code. I said I was sorry I buy more from DCxpert than direct from Pentax but he claims it makes no difference to them, it's still a sale regardless, and he's happy that ebay do this 20% off thing as they absorb the loss not him (unlike when Pentax Australia actually discount it hits them directly).

He actually assured me that the HD FA 35/2 will make it's way to DCXpert. The main difference between PA & DC is that PA can take backorders whereas DC can't so much. Fingers cross the lenses show up sooner rather than later down at DCXpert.

Yeah, I'm sure Clem doesn't care which we buy from, so long as we I buy. I Generally wait for the sale on dcxpert, as that is CR Kennedy anyway, BUt alway check the price difference on the Pentax site as well, recently the DFA150-450 was a tad under 3700 on dcxpert, and only 3400 on the Pentax site, just had to make sure the 20poocent sale was on a dcxpert , and the 15poocent wasn;t on at Pentax, to get best price I could. If Pentax had the 15 % sale, it would have been cheaper there. It's a numbers and waiting game.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Yes, I suppose when we actually decide to pull the trigger on these things, we do want them asap, and not have to wait around.

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yup he said that. It goes both ways tho, sometimes I wouldn't mind jumping on the deal and then waiting a week or two for the item to arrive. I also mentioned how we all appreciate what is essentially free express delivery.
That's the beauty of the quick delivery from dcxpert, I put a lens in the cart on Wedensday morning and I pick it up at the Post Orifice on Thursday afternnon. That's quick........ I'm sure at some stage it will get precognitive, and, I'll get an email that I have a delivery waiting for me and It will be this lens, then i'll have to go on and order it
02-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
…. without whom we would not have lightly used lenses on the market sooner or later.
Yes, bless 'em.
02-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I'm sure Clem doesn't care which we buy from, so long as we I buy. I Generally wait for the sale on dcxpert, as that is CR Kennedy anyway,
The issue is the other retailers in Australia, who would see it as Conflict of Interest.

They have to buy from an importer who is also competing with them, and undercutting the RRP.
02-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The issue is the other retailers in Australia, who would see it as Conflict of Interest.

They have to buy from an importer who is also competing with them, and undercutting the RRP.
Yeah, I get that too, back in the old days when camera stores actually stocked Pentax, but generally , they don't, and not because of this, but, because they sell what most people want, nothing wrong with that, a store has to watch what it is selling to make business viable.

I bought , my D'ist and K-7 from Teds along with nearly all of my old film lenses and slr's , K-5 and quite a few Sigma K-mount lenses from Photo Continental ( now gone unfortunately ) and K-1 from Digital Camera Warehouse, all bricks and mortar stores, walked in and bought them , same for a lot of my older lenses, there was not internet buying back then anyway, but these days, I can't walk into a store and buy these lenses, they just don't have them, and most are just not interested to even order them for you, just too much hassle. Or the things we want, just aren't available here in Australia, so we have to buy from overseas.

Anyway, Good to see, the Lens is here, will be watching as people get theirs and start posting some actually pictures taken with it, rather than pictures off the lens.
02-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

but these days, I can't walk into a store and buy these lenses, they just don't have them, and most are just not interested to even order them for you, just too much hassle.
Yes, well, CRK will say they sell underpriced because the retailers won't stock product, and the retailers will say they won't stock product because CRK sell underpriced.

You can see the invidious position of brick and mortar stores. CRK sit back in a South Melbourne warehouse, the shops have all the costs and responsibilities that any retail outlet has. It's the Harvey Norman versus Amazon/eBay thing.

Last edited by clackers; 02-13-2019 at 04:54 PM.