Online Store - DxO

$59.99 on sale

Attached Images

Views: 1,573
03-22-2019, 02:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought it years ago for 90-ish dollars back before Google acquired Nik and I still use it.

Does anyone know if DXO has actually done any improvements on the suite?
03-22-2019, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I bought it years ago for 90-ish dollars back before Google acquired Nik and I still use it.

I acquired it as a freebie back when Google abandoned it, I still like it and use it on occasion. I use DXO photoLab V2.2 which incorporates the U-Point technology and also use DXO Film pack 5. I'm hoping maybe next year DXO will fully incorporate NIK but so far they seem to be happy with just supplying the NIK Software to none PhotoLab users (Lightroom) which they supply a plug in for.
03-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I acquired it as a freebie back when Google abandoned it, I still like it and use it on occasion. I use DXO photoLab V2.2 which incorporates the U-Point technology and also use DXO Film pack 5. I'm hoping maybe next year DXO will fully incorporate NIK but so far they seem to be happy with just supplying the NIK Software to none PhotoLab users (Lightroom) which they supply a plug in for.
I bought it last year and love it....I use "export to application" in Dxo to send tiffs back and forth to NIK. Works fairly will but a tighter integration would be grand.

03-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like its still free from Google, but DxO claims to have improved the reliability of the product for the paid version. The most useful thing I've found is the detail extractor in Color Efex (I think) which can pull detail out of space and the Silver Efex tools for finishing black and white images. I like the idea of better integration with LR, but not so much that I'm going to actually upgrade to a subscription version of LR.
03-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

This version is just bugfixes of the free version from Google. There was no alteration to the features or rendering.

I do wonder if this is the prelude to the 2019 version, which should have something more than just bug fixes offered?
03-26-2019, 12:28 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I still use and love the Nik Software that I acquired from Google. Because DXO Photolab V2 incorporates the U-Point technology that I think makes the Nik collection unique, I am thinking of purchasing Photolab as a replacement for my aging standalone LR 6. What I want to know from you users of Photolab is does the fact that it has integrated the u-point feature into the main work space make Nik collection less useful? I mainly use it for Silver efex pro and Viveza

03-26-2019, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Megapixelmk Quote
I still use and love the Nik Software that I acquired from Google. Because DXO Photolab V2 incorporates the U-Point technology that I think makes the Nik collection unique, I am thinking of purchasing Photolab as a replacement for my aging standalone LR 6. What I want to know from you users of Photolab is does the fact that it has integrated the u-point feature into the main work space make Nik collection less useful? I mainly use it for Silver efex pro and Viveza
No, not at all. I basically have two workflows....1) Quicky - do all PP in DxO. This is where U-Point is useful. The picture is close enough to what I want but might just need a little tweak (brighten a face for instance) and I don't want to fire up a NIK module. 2) I really want to do some serious PP on an image so I do some basic broad stroke stuff in Dxo and then ship it off to SilverEfex or Color Efex Pro

In a word, it complements having the NIK collection, it does not detract from it.

IMHO of course
03-27-2019, 05:20 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Megapixelmk Quote
Here is a great example....DxO broad bush on the initial image, use U-point to brighten her face a tad, then off to Color Efex Pro for some Contrast and Vignette.

The M Club! - Page 477 - PentaxForums.com