Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
DA 20-40mm Black - $496 - Lowest price ever!
Posted By: Adam, 03-31-2019, 10:39 AM

A sweet deal (the lowest price ever) is back on the DA 20-40mm at B&H! I don't know whether or not this is a one-day thing, but it's a steal:

HD DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Ltd. WR
33% Off / $247 Below Average

Year's price range: $497 - $797
Request Price Alert | Reviews
Views: 3,978
03-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A sweet deal (the lowest price ever) is back on the DA 20-40mm at B&H! I don't know whether or not this is a one-day thing, but it's a steal
That’s $65 less than I was asking for a 2 year old but Like New Silver the last two weeks. This is a fabulous lens on KP - and has been $800 everywhere since January . . . . .
03-31-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also notable is that they have two used lenses, discounted accordingly.
03-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That is a crazy price. That's only $50.00 more than I paid on the Market Place, recently. It really was in mint condition, though.

03-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A sweet deal (the lowest price ever) is back on the DA 20-40mm at B&H! I don't know whether or not this is a one-day thing, but it's a steal:

HD DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Ltd. WR
33% Off / $247 Below Average

Year's price range: $497 - $797
Request Price Alert | Reviews
Great deal for a sweet lens, would jump on it but already have one.
04-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #6

I would have jumped on this myself, except I got an HD DA15 recently. I still want this lens, but it'll have to wait. In the meantime, I'm having lots of fun with my 15!
04-04-2019, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Incredible price on a great lens.

04-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Looks like Adorama and Amazon are both also showing lower prices for this now.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I almost bought one yesterday but walked out of Adorama with the "new and improved" HD FA 35mm f/2. I figured I could use the 35 on both my APS-C bodies and my K1-II. Unfortunately the 20-40 only seems to work well with APS-C cameras otherwise I would have taken that home instead. Still, $497 is an insane price for a very nice lens!
04-06-2019, 08:01 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another one bites the dust. That would be me attempting to resist LBA.
04-06-2019, 10:05 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
I almost bought one yesterday but walked out of Adorama with the "new and improved" HD FA 35mm f/2. I figured I could use the 35 on both my APS-C bodies and my K1-II. Unfortunately the 20-40 only seems to work well with APS-C cameras otherwise I would have taken that home instead. Still, $497 is an insane price for a very nice lens!
I had a Like New silver copy FS for $635, which I though was an awfully good price for a Limited lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Another one bites the dust. That would be me attempting to resist LBA.
In my view Withdraawing from the Marketplace is akin to buying a used lens, so I’m with you. It is very good one the KP - essentially my indoors lens.
04-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In my view Withdraawing from the Marketplace is akin to buying a used lens, so I’m with you. It is very good one the KP - essentially my indoors lens.
I'm really looking forward to shooting with it. I spent a bit of time yesterday going through images here on PF shot with it, and paying particular attention to the shots at 40mm and wide open versus stopped down a bit, since that would seem to be the weakest performance for this lens. There were plenty of very nice shots wide open at 40, and it seems that even a click down might resolve any sane complaints. The color rendition seems very nice, and this would fit in with being a Limited. And the final nudge is my beloved 16-50 is starting to have the SDM get cranky. I bought the lens new in 2016, and up until recently it's been fine and has delivered many pleasing pictures, but over the past few months, I've had it just refuse to focus. Nothing happens at all. I find I can usually find something it will spring to life on, and if I then move it from close to far objects and get it focusing between the two points back and forth, it becomes a happy lens and comes up to full performance. So, it would seem I am battling the dreaded SDM slow down that might ultimately fail. I'm hoping that by using the lens more, I can keep it alive, but when contemplating what i would replace it with and not sure about the Tamron/Sigma "equivalents" - really like Pentax glass, the 20-40 jumps up at this price and screams, "me me me!" I want to keep the 16-50 alive, as I do shoot some low light things where I need the speed and want silent AF - guess getting the 20-40 might be counter productive there if I fall in love with it and stop totting around the other, but if I didn't grab the 20-40, and the 16-50 bellied up next week and we were back to normal pricing, I'd be giving a solid kick to my own rear. So, is this like the "bargaining" phase of LBA as you reassure why you had a moment of weakness late one Saturday night?
04-07-2019, 06:24 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm really looking forward to shooting with it. I spent a bit of time yesterday going through images here on PF shot with it, and paying particular attention to the shots at 40mm and wide open versus stopped down a bit, since that would seem to be the weakest performance for this lens. There were plenty of very nice shots wide open at 40, and it seems that even a click down might resolve any sane complaints. The color rendition seems very nice, and this would fit in with being a Limited. And the final nudge is my beloved 16-50 is starting to have the SDM get cranky. I bought the lens new in 2016, and up until recently it's been fine and has delivered many pleasing pictures, but over the past few months, I've had it just refuse to focus. Nothing happens at all. I find I can usually find something it will spring to life on, and if I then move it from close to far objects and get it focusing between the two points back and forth, it becomes a happy lens and comes up to full performance. So, it would seem I am battling the dreaded SDM slow down that might ultimately fail. I'm hoping that by using the lens more, I can keep it alive, but when contemplating what i would replace it with and not sure about the Tamron/Sigma "equivalents" - really like Pentax glass, the 20-40 jumps up at this price and screams, "me me me!" I want to keep the 16-50 alive, as I do shoot some low light things where I need the speed and want silent AF - guess getting the 20-40 might be counter productive there if I fall in love with it and stop totting around the other, but if I didn't grab the 20-40, and the 16-50 bellied up next week and we were back to normal pricing, I'd be giving a solid kick to my own rear. So, is this like the "bargaining" phase of LBA as you reassure why you had a moment of weakness late one Saturday night?
You won’t be disappointed by the images, for sure. My 16-15 is already screwdrive snd just yesterday my 50-135 started acting up just like your 16-50. I just sold the *70-200 and bought the 50-135, having decided to use K-1 with manual lenses and the FA Limiteds.

I wouldn’t object to making the 50-135 screwdrive.
04-07-2019, 06:36 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wouldn’t object to making the 50-135 screwdrive.
I love my 50-135, and it's been good so far. Can this one be converted to screwdrive? I can't remember. I was thinking maybe not, but am I confusing it with the 60-250? Another wonderful lens. I did the baffle mod on it, and love it on my K-1 II. I do have to say I'm really looking forward to the upcoming APS-C body. I love full frame, but I find my K3 II with the 16-50 and 55-300 PLM a great walk about combo I can't touch for size/weight in full frame. I see that kit morphing to my 15 Limited, 20-40, and 55-300 PLM with this new addition to the family.
04-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I love my 50-135, and it's been good so far. Can this one be converted to screwdrive? I can't remember. I was thinking maybe not, but am I confusing it with the 60-250? Another wonderful lens. I did the baffle mod on it, and love it on my K-1 II. I do have to say I'm really looking forward to the upcoming APS-C body. I love full frame, but I find my K3 II with the 16-50 and 55-300 PLM a great walk about combo I can't touch for size/weight in full frame. I see that kit morphing to my 15 Limited, 20-40, and 55-300 PLM with this new addition to the family.
My K-30 was kitted with a DA 18-55. The first thing I did was purchase a 18-135 DC to get me away from screw drive.