Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Missed Aussie Easter discounts
Posted By: K2 to K50, 04-24-2019, 09:00 PM

Despite having a registered account with both Ricoh Pentax Australia and C R Kennedy, with email news option ticked,and despite regular visits to both sites and Pentax Forum sites before and during Easter, and doing frequent deals searches, I still did not become aware of the now found 15% Easter Sale here in Oz!!!

Only found out about now - 25/4/19!!! Too late.

What is a fellow desperate to upgrade from K50 to K70 and 1 or 2 good lenses, but limited pensioner budget, supposed to do???

Last edited by K2 to K50; 04-24-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Views: 3,507
04-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Tried, could not find deals on my items of interest:
KP
55-300 plm
16-85

Missed the easter sale, rang C R Kennedy yesterday, no deal.
You'll need to sign in to your Ebay account if you have one then it's at the bottom of the box with the pricing info. The KP is $879.20 after the discount. The code is PCLICK but it expires today.

It's a shame CRK wouldn't honour the deal - a bit of an own goal IMO.

04-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A pity you missed this one, too. You have to be sharp or lucky to spot such things, though. The latter in my case, so I’m doubly happy with my new lens.
04-30-2019, 05:45 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
A pity you missed this one, too. You have to be sharp or lucky to spot such things, though. The latter in my case, so I’m doubly happy with my new lens.
Actually, thanks to carlb, I tapped into this before the deadline, but they only had silver KP bodies on offer (at the moment, there are no black KP bodies in stock at C R Kennedy either).

And the two lenses I was after were not in the long list of items on offer at DCXpert either. I was tempted by the 18-135mm - a very good price on that, and one or two of the Pentax Flashes also, but a flash is not high on my priority at the moment - the built-in flash on the K50 will meet my needs for the moment.

But you are right: it is not easy to spot these moments. I have heard a whisper that there might be some offers around Mother's Day. Otherwise, I will keep a very intense watch around the June/July end of financial year period.
04-30-2019, 06:41 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, just wait for upcoming offers if you really want to buy new, K2 to K50.

They may not stock what you want, so I would also look at secondhand items here in the marketplace, eBay, B&H, KEH, etc.

05-01-2019, 05:43 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, just wait for upcoming offers if you really want to buy new, K2 to K50.

They may not stock what you want, so I would also look at secondhand items here in the marketplace, eBay, B&H, KEH, etc.
For new major items, would rather buy in Australia. Bargains at B&H often look good until you apply the currency conversion and shipping costs. But there are always items not available in Oz. Back in the film days Pentax offered a number of alternate focusing screens - not now. When I do finally get my KP, I will be going to focusingscreens.com to get the central microprism KP Ec-A Focusing Screen, either with or without the grid.

At 75, and with slight astigmatism, I have the devil of a job with manual focus. Back in the 70's my Pentax K2 had a microprism focusing screen, where the microprism really "popped" clear. I used to be able to nail focus all the time, even while following model airplanes in flight with a Pentax 400mm on a shoulder harness. Nowadays, when using my legacy film lenses, I have real difficulties, esp on a dull day or for items not in direct sunglight.
05-01-2019, 05:53 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For new major items, would rather buy in Australia. Bargains at B&H often look good until you apply the currency conversion and shipping costs.
GST now, too.

Back in the film days Pentax offered a number of alternate focusing screens - not now. When I do finally get my KP, I will be going to focusingscreens.com to get the central microprism KP Ec-A Focusing Screen, either with or without the grid.

At 75, and with slight astigmatism, I have the devil of a job with manual focus. Back in the 70's my Pentax K2 had a microprism focusing screen, where the microprism really "popped" clear. I used to be able to nail focus all the time, even while following model airplanes in flight with a Pentax 400mm on a shoulder harness. Nowadays, when using my legacy film lenses, I have real difficulties, esp on a dull day or for items not in direct sunglight.
Yeah, my K-30 has a Katzeye split prism focusing screen, works very well.

The K-1's screen is not meant to be replaceable, because it has a special LCD overlay, which is a pity for me, but magnified Live View is not a bad substitute.
05-01-2019, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
GST now, too.
Holy Fruitcakes!!! You are right - had forgotten the new GST rules on overseas purchases!!
05-01-2019, 09:17 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GST now, too.
I bought a tripod head from B & H a couple of months ago and didn't get slugged for GST. There was certainly no separate charge for it so if GST was charged then it was included in the price before i put it in my cart. Maybe it depends on whether the ATO have made contact with the vendor to set things up for charging GST.

It gets charged on Ebay

05-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
GST now, too.

.... but magnified Live View is not a bad substitute.
Something I have not tried at all on my K50 - Live View. Just the idea of trying to keep the camera still while not having it pressed against my forehead while using the viewfinder makes me shiver in my boots - er, bare feet!!

But I have seen a number of posters here and there talk about using magnification in Live View - must give it a try sometime soon.
05-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Something I have not tried at all on my K50 - Live View. Just the idea of trying to keep the camera still while not having it pressed against my forehead while using the viewfinder makes me shiver in my boots - er, bare feet!!

But I have seen a number of posters here and there talk about using magnification in Live View - must give it a try sometime soon.
Well, someone getting the best image quality is going to be shooting from a tripod or monopod.

But if you want that third point of contact for stability or want to see very well in bright light there are the Hoodman and similar loupes/hoods that attach to the screen.

05-05-2019, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, someone getting the best image quality is going to be shooting from a tripod or monopod.

But if you want that third point of contact for stability or want to see very well in bright light there are the Hoodman and similar loupes/hoods that attach to the screen.
My old tripod needs replacing (the head assembly wobbles around the top of the central column) and I often struggle trying to keep the monopod from wavering around.

Am going to experiment with an old shoulder harness setup I have, on which I have replaced the old thread trigger handle with cable release with a new velo cable release trigger handle, and sit this atop my monopod.

Will also, when I get a new KP and lenses (HD PENTAX 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens, and HD PENTAX DA 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR), look into this LCD hood system you mentioned, which is a total revelation to me, having just come into the world of digital photography November 2018, after a long break (early 1980s) from photography.

The wealth of knowledge and willing advice available from this Pentax Forum is absolutely mind-blowing.
05-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
While stocks of the K70 seem pretty constant at the Pentax.au site, the KP (black body) were out of stock for some time. They were recently back in stock for few days only, but are now back out of stock.

Beginning to wonder if I should just settle for the K70.

Will hang out until the end of financial year, see what happens.

Such constant low stock: a good sign (people are buying Pentax)? or a bad sign (Pentax are winding down? Or is something special in the works for Nov 2019, the big 100yr anniversary month?
05-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While stocks of the K70 seem pretty constant at the Pentax.au site, the KP (black body) were out of stock for some time. They were recently back in stock for few days only, but are now back out of stock.

Beginning to wonder if I should just settle for the K70.

Will hang out until the end of financial year, see what happens.

Such constant low stock: a good sign (people are buying Pentax)? or a bad sign (Pentax are winding down? Or is something special in the works for Nov 2019, the big 100yr anniversary month?
I wouldn't read too deeply, KtoK.

These days, you don't want inventory, that's money sitting on shelves not earning anything, you're better off a customer waiting for a back order than not using the cash productively.

And as an importer, these guys will coincide purchases with yen/dollar predictions, too, it's a state of currency thing.
05-09-2019, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wouldn't read too deeply, KtoK.

These days, you don't want inventory, that's money sitting on shelves not earning anything, you're better off a customer waiting for a back order than not using the cash productively.

And as an importer, these guys will coincide purchases with yen/dollar predictions, too, it's a state of currency thing.
Ah, the mundane realities of economics vs uninformed speculation!!
05-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO the KP is worth putting on backorder. CRK seem to get stock quite regularly.