Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Missed Aussie Easter discounts
Posted By: K2 to K50, 04-24-2019, 09:00 PM

Despite having a registered account with both Ricoh Pentax Australia and C R Kennedy, with email news option ticked,and despite regular visits to both sites and Pentax Forum sites before and during Easter, and doing frequent deals searches, I still did not become aware of the now found 15% Easter Sale here in Oz!!!

Only found out about now - 25/4/19!!! Too late.

What is a fellow desperate to upgrade from K50 to K70 and 1 or 2 good lenses, but limited pensioner budget, supposed to do???

Last edited by K2 to K50; 04-24-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Views: 6,059
04-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
K70 vs KP
I am assuming that there is a significant IQ difference between the 18-135 and the 16-85
See this recent thread which deals with both issues: Pentax K70 or KP with the 18/135 Pros & Cons - PentaxForums.com
Note that the premise in that thread was that there was a $US200 difference in price between the K-70 and KP. With only $A100 or less between them, as there is now, there is no contest IMO, unless you absolutely could not live with the ergonomics of the KP.

See also this thread regarding the camera choices: Which one to buy? - PentaxForums.com

Note that if you get the KP you should allow for the cost of getting a larger handgrip than the small one which is supplied. The L handgrip can be bought separately (O-GP1671 Large) from around $60, or it comes with the (expensive) D-BG7 battery grip.

If you use a remote shutter release with the K-50, it won't work with the KP. For a discussion of the options with the KP, see this thread: KP shutter release ... Wired and Wireless options that work ! - PentaxForums.com

There are endless discussions comparing the DA 16-85 v DA 18-135. The centre resolution on the 18-135 is at least as good as the 16-85 across the range, but the 16-85 has much better corner sharpness across its range, even when both are stopped down. For many uses, corner resolution is not critical. If it is, the 16-85 is the one to get. The extra 2mm of width on the 16-85 is very handy too, especially if you don't also have an ultra-wide lens. But the 18-135 is more compact, lighter, has a handy extra 50mm reach and is much cheaper (especially in a bundle with a camera).

The Pentax DA 20-40 Ltd is a fine lens too. And it's WR. The smaller range might not be critical if you have an ultra-wide lens like the DA 12-24 or the DA 15 Ltd (I have both of these and they are both very good) and coverage above 40mm. The 15 + 20-40 + 55-300 PLM makes a wonderful kit.

Other options to consider, if you don't need weather-resistance, are the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 or the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.

Any comments on IQ of the SIgma 100-300 (which I own) vs HD PENTAX 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens??
There are at least two different Sigma 100-300 lenses in K mount:
Sigma APO 100-300mm F4 EX DG Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database - this a premium lens and highly sought after.
Sigma 100-300mm F4.5-6.7 DL Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database - this is an average consumer lens. Judging by the reviews, it would be far inferior to the Pentax 55-300 PLM (or indeed any of the variants of the older 55-300 f4.5-5.8).

The PLM is as good as it gets in consumer-level telephoto zoom lenses. See this thread: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - Show us what it can do, what it CAN'T! - PentaxForums.com I think this is another easy decision, given your uses. (I looked at your album to get an idea.)

Last edited by Des; 04-26-2019 at 06:32 PM.
04-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To the OP: did you end up giving CRK a call to see if they would come to the party re the discount?
04-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I can confirm that I did receive an email announcing the Easter sale on Thursday 18th April. This time I had no cash available and nothing that was begging me to buy. I do not recall seeing anything on the website over the Easter weekend stating that the Easter sale was live, but I would not have been looking for it. One other thing to watch for is that occasionally the big supporters of this forum have snap sales (such as "15% off all Pentax lenses this weekend"), and CRK will often match the timing with an online sale of similar percentage, but only on the CRK website, not usually with an email.

Re your lenses: I really do like my 55-300mm PLM zoom, it is very fast to focus and seems to be always locked onto exactly the focus point I want. I wax and wane between the 16-85 and the 18-135, depending whether I want the extra tele reach or the better IQ. I still fall back to a few M series lenses, particularly the 200mm, 50mm/f1.4 and the 28mm for better IQ than the new digital zooms can offer. My 18-135 is better at the long end than my M135mm, but I am not sure if this is universally the case or if my 135 is a bit off after 40 years. I have a K70 body, and all the M lenses work perfectly in green-button mode, with perfect exposure and spot-on focus. So keep them and use them when you get the new K70 or KP.
04-26-2019, 05:24 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
I do not recall seeing anything on the website over the Easter weekend stating that the Easter sale was live, but I would not have been looking for it.
There was a large, pink banner at the head of each page if you went in via pentax.com.au, but it was not necessarily there if you entered via CRK’s general website. I’m not sure why the difference, as you finish up on the same Pentax pages.

04-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After looking at your gallery and the equipment that you have, my advice to you is to keep practicing! I don't think you need to upgrade to a bigger Mp sensor. There is heaps of room for improvement just by honing your technique and researching via online tutorials. Please don't take this as an insult. Your work is good but it won't improve just by you buying a camera with a larger MP count. I would be looking at a soft flashlight setup for your macro work and perhaps the purchase a D FA 100 mm Macro lens. Maybe you could focus on Macro photography for a while?

Cheers Broo.

Last edited by BROO; 04-26-2019 at 07:51 PM.
04-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There was a large, pink banner at the head of each page if you went in via pentax.com.au, but it was not necessarily there if you entered via CRK’s general website. I’m not sure why the difference, as you finish up on the same Pentax pages.
I guess that would have been the same pink banner as in the email, with the promo code BUNNY and a promise that the discount would be subtracted at the checkout stage.

Interesting that the emails are much more informative than the website.
04-26-2019, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Again, thanks everyone for your comments.

Des:
My sigma is the DL F4.5-6.7. I have been sold on purchasing the Pentax HD 55-300mm PLM lens. I have views many sample photos in variouis threads, including some with that lens and the Pentax Tele converter, and am impressed.
carlB:
No, have not contacted Ricoh or Kennedy yet: spent most of Friday researching, following up suggested threads from all the good people here, and doing some specific searches on my own, esp re the combination of the 55-300 and the pentax tele converter, and noted suggestions by many that an original with spot-on sharp focus, cropped and blown up, will produce as good a result as a closer shot using a tele converter.
BROO:
No offence taken, would welcome more critical, and specific, comments if you have the time to make them I am acutely aware of how many of my shots do not nail the focus. Especially my bird shots. I am especially having probs with hand-held shots using my legacy 200mm lens. Some of that may be motion blur (most were hand-held some with a monopod), but I am often aware while taking shots that I am going back and forth with manual focus trying to find the exact focus. For some reason almost all of the shots I have taken, both last year and this year, and with different lens, of the water dragon lizard, seem spot on, as far as focus is concerned, even when largely magnified. Not so for a lot of my other shots. Perhaps the extra varied nature of the lizard's skin helps my eye when focusing.
Prior to October/November 2018 when I purchased the K50, it was some 40 yrs since I last held a (film!!) camera, and the bulk of the flower shots I uploaded were taken early on after resuming my photography interest with the K50. But I so miss the central microprism focusing aid of my Pentax K2. People were constantly commenting on how sharp my prints were, back in the day, whether they were quick family shots, macro shots, telephoto shots, whatever (had a Pentax M 400mm at one time). When my K2 was stolen, and I replaced it with my Pentax ME, I hated the central split focusing, and find the plain matte focusing screen of my K50 very challenging.

Yes, I have experimented with adjusting the viewfinder diopter - while not wearing specs, while wearing my reading glasses, while wearing my distance glasses, but it doesn't seem to help. Have invested in a Pentax 1.2 magnifiying eye cup, which helped marginally. Have contemplated purchasing a central microprism focusing screen from Focusingscreens.com, but am waiting to see if I decide to purchase the KP or K70 before investing in a replacement focusing screen.

Have decided to relinquish using the autofocus 18-55mm lens for a while, and spend time experimenting with my various legacy lenses.

Have contemplated paying for some one-on-one time with someone who knows all the intricacies of digital photography. Back in the 1970s, I automatically chose Fstop or shutter speed to suit, but frequently just point and shoot (or focus and shoot). Still forget to do such things as tell the K50 which lens I am using when using my older lens, still struggle to remember to either turn shake reduction on or off, choose a better iso setting, need to understand focus lock.

It is all a different ball park to the simplicities of a film camera - esp my old K2 with that central microprism focusing screen which just POPPED when correct focus was achieved!!

OK guys, sorry for the ramble.

And BROO, I will take on board your exhortation to PRACTICE, and would, as I said, welcome any specific criticisms and suggestions you and anybody else would like to make.

But I think I will also go ahead early next week and buy the KP or K70 (I had decided, even before the K50 purchase, that I wanted a new K70, but had the expense of a 12 day cruise ship trip looming, so bought the second hand K50. But I think now is the time follow my original wish. Will almost certainly purchase the 55-300 with the camera, and after all the reading and advice, still tossing up between the 18-135 and the 16-85. But my bank balance is now on notice that it is going to take a big hit, very soon!!

Cheers, all. Will let the curious know when I finally make the jump!!

For anyone wanting to make further suggestions, but with more to work with, or those who just like looking ():

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Last edited by K2 to K50; 04-26-2019 at 09:17 PM.
04-27-2019, 03:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Thomas Shahan - YouTube

Thomas Shahan has a good site to learn macro photography. Notice the camera he is using?
You can have a lot of fun in your garden!
04-27-2019, 04:34 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Thomas Shahan - YouTube

Thomas Shahan has a good site to learn macro photography. Notice the camera he is using?
You can have a lot of fun in your garden!
The K30 is a nice camera. He gets great results from his modest kit.
04-28-2019, 09:00 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go to dcxpert on eBay for 20% off right now! A DFA*50/1.4 is on its way to me, since I found this.
04-29-2019, 01:23 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Go to dcxpert on eBay for 20% off right now! A DFA*50/1.4 is on its way to me, since I found this.
Not seeing it.
04-29-2019, 01:41 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Not seeing it.
Nor am I (that might be good news actually!!!)
04-29-2019, 05:02 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Not seeing it.
Look on the individual item details, and you’ll see a “show me how” note.
04-29-2019, 05:28 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look on the individual item details, and you’ll see a “show me how” note.
Took me a while to find that!!
04-29-2019, 07:12 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tried, could not find deals on my items of interest:
KP
55-300 plm
16-85

Missed the easter sale, rang C R Kennedy yesterday, no deal.