Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Missed Aussie Easter discounts
Posted By: K2 to K50, 04-24-2019, 09:00 PM

Despite having a registered account with both Ricoh Pentax Australia and C R Kennedy, with email news option ticked,and despite regular visits to both sites and Pentax Forum sites before and during Easter, and doing frequent deals searches, I still did not become aware of the now found 15% Easter Sale here in Oz!!!

Only found out about now - 25/4/19!!! Too late.

What is a fellow desperate to upgrade from K50 to K70 and 1 or 2 good lenses, but limited pensioner budget, supposed to do???

Last edited by K2 to K50; 04-24-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Views: 6,060
06-21-2019, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Megapixelmk Quote
What I want to know
is will you change your ID to K2 to KP?
Ho, Megapixelmk - you have got me there!!! Never gave that a thought, but a good point.

Rather than just change the K50 to KP, maybe K2 to K50 to KP? But that leaves out the Pentax ME (which I still own!!).

Something to keep my mind occupied with while wait impatiently for my new gear!!!

06-27-2019, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
It's going to be a loooooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg weekend !! But it will be worth the wait - the KP is fantastic.
You were right, carlb, it was a long weekend. But it was worth it.

The whole package arrived around 10:00am Tuesday. Man - this 75 yr old was like a 5 year old on Christmas Morning!!!!

Congratulations! I own all three of the above...you wont be disappointed! The 55-300 plm is a joy to use (once you get use to pressing the zoom release button each
time
). Its compact, quiet, and really quick to focus. The 16-85 is bulkier but is nice and sharp at the wide end. You have ordered a great combo. What I want to know
is will you change your ID to K2 to KP?
Megapixelmk: you were also right: the 55-300 is amazing: cannot hear it focusing, and sometimes I find myself realising I am waiting for it to focus, when it already has. Don't know why Pentax has a reputation for slow autofocus - the 55-300 PLM seems near instantaneous! And sharp! And such a great minimum focusing distance. And yeah, have to keep remembering that zoom release button, just like you said.

Here are a couple of my first shots with the 55-300mm:
Name:  PETE0140.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  PETE0146.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  150.2 KB

The 16-85mm is also very sharp and quiet, and such a useful range - it sure beats the lowly 18-55mm kit lens that came with my second-hand K50 in every way.

Here are early tests on both ends of its focal range, and its near-macro ability:

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP0020 B.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  412.2 KB
View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP0021 B.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  225.3 KB

Name:  IMGP0025-B.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  311.3 KB

The last is a crop of the original.

Thanks all for the encouragement, and esp carlb who alerted me to the eofy discounts in time.
06-27-2019, 08:00 PM   #78
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
You were right, carlb, it was a long weekend. But it was worth it.

The whole package arrived around 10:00am Tuesday. Man - this 75 yr old was like a 5 year old on Christmas Morning!!!!

Megapixelmk: you were also right: the 55-300 is amazing: cannot hear it focusing, and sometimes I find myself realising I am waiting for it to focus, when it already has. Don't know why Pentax has a reputation for slow autofocus - the 55-300 PLM seems near instantaneous! And sharp! And such a great minimum focusing distance. And yeah, have to keep remembering that zoom release button, just like you said.

Here are a couple of my first shots with the 55-300mm:
Attachment 456312

Attachment 456313

The 16-85mm is also very sharp and quiet, and such a useful range - it sure beats the lowly 18-55mm kit lens that came with my second-hand K50 in every way.

Here are early tests on both ends of its focal range, and its near-macro ability:

Attachment 456314
Attachment 456315

Attachment 456316

The last is a crop of the original.

Thanks all for the encouragement, and esp carlb who alerted me to the eofy discounts in time.
Thanks for posting your shots; yes the KP's a great camera and you won't regret it. N.B. the learning curve now begins as the KP has alot of features and unbelievable customization options.
I myself just pulled the trigger on purchasing the battery grip. Because of my shooting style (using live view alot, bracketing and shooting Raw plus) and less battery capacity of the KP, I now can be confident doing a days shoot without changing battery's. I haven't used it yet, but already I love it in the hand and so much more comfortable with larger lens like the 50-135mm. It does add more weight but as a sprightly 60 year old that doesn't bother me! 😊
06-27-2019, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for posting your shots; yes the KP's a great camera and you won't regret it. N.B. the learning curve now begins as the KP has alot of features and unbelievable customization options.
I myself just pulled the trigger on purchasing the battery grip. Because of my shooting style (using live view alot, bracketing and shooting Raw plus) and less battery capacity of the KP, I now can be confident doing a days shoot without changing battery's. I haven't used it yet, but already I love it in the hand and so much more comfortable with larger lens like the 50-135mm. It does add more weight but as a sprightly 60 year old that doesn't bother me! ��

Yes, you are right about the learning curve. I was still learning all the finer details of digital photography after buying my K50 in October 2017, after not using a camera since the early 1980s film days of Pentax K2 and Pentax ME.

It took 3 or 4 tries on the new KP before changed it from shooting JPEG to shooting RAW (.DNG) - with a half-way step of shooting both!!