Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

New B&H Offer: Pay no sales tax through reimbursement w/ Payboo card
Posted By: Adam, 05-06-2019, 07:58 PM

B&H has just launched a new shopping credit card designed to save you the sales tax in all purchases made at B&H!

"Now, with the B&H Payboo Card, save the equivalent to the sales tax you pay on every purchase shipped to eligible states."

Full details and terms and conditions can be found here: B&H Payboo Credit Card Save the Tax | B&H Credit Card

I've done a bit of digging through the fine print and have found that the card will reimburse the full sales tax if you ship to the following states:

• California
  • Connecticut
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Kentucky
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin
The card instead gives a ~6% reward in the following states/territories (percentage may vary by state, see terms):
  • Alabama
  • DC
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Nebraska
  • North Dakota
  • Vermont
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming
Remaining states/territories don't currently mandate the collection of sales tax by B&H, and will therefore receive no reward (this is subject to change if laws change):
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Kansas
  • Louisiana
  • Massachusetts
  • Montana
  • Missouri
  • New Hampshire
  • New Mexico
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Puerto Rico
  • Rhode Island
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
Name:  payboo.PNG
Views: 776
Size:  785.1 KB

Note that this is a credit card and it has a high 29.99% APR rate, but you can get approved instantly and use the card online if you want to take advantage of it for the sales-tax-equivalent savings.

Views: 3,160
05-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #16
Pentaxian

This is interesting. I often use B&H as my brick and mortar store and pay sales tax. If I read things correctly I can now browse in-store then order online to get the sales tax discount.

The 30% interest rate is draconian, but in my case isn't bad because I pay credit cards in full. Credit cards with such high rates often have other hidden fees so I will definitely read the fine print before signing up.

05-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
be careful of the interest rate on any balance: 29.99% APR rate

Read more at: New B&H Offer: Pay no sales tax through reimbursement w/ Payboo card - PentaxForums.com
I'm one of those people credit card companies hate. I pay in full at the end of the month. If I can't pay in full or get a zero percent interest deal then i don't buy.
05-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
I'm one of those people credit card companies hate. I pay in full at the end of the month. If I can't pay in full or get a zero percent interest deal then i don't buy.
we are in that club as well but I have no interest in this deal so I won't be getting the card

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-07-2019 at 11:06 AM.
05-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Note that there is a $2.00 minimum finance fee that is unavoidable. Edit: See Adam's comment below LINK

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-07-2019 at 12:50 PM.
05-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Note that there is a $2.00 minimum finance fee that is unavoidable.

Steve
always read the fine print
05-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
$2 transaction fee
Wait, there's a transaction fee?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I corrected what I wrote. Its a "**....Minimum interest charge is $2". No idea what that means. Even if you pay off entire balance?.
Ah, no, that means if you owe interest (i.e. don't pay the account balance by the due date), then they will charge you interest based on the 29.99% APR, but the charge will be no less than $2. Most credit cards have a similar provision.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Ah, no, that means if you owe interest (i.e. don't pay the account balance by the due date), then they will charge you interest based on the 29.99% APR, but the charge will be no less than $2. Most credit cards have a similar provision.
OK...that makes sense. I had read different accounts different places (not just at PF).

Steve
05-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO, this is B&H's best effort for its customers. What they offer here is better than Amazon Prime card (sale tax directly off vs. 5% rebate for use later). Prime costs $120 + sales tax while Payboo doesn't cost a penny. So, Payboo is much better as long as you pay bill in full.

A keeper I guess. Only thing is: if I don't regularly buy from B&H, I have to remember to check bill to avoid missing payment.
05-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
This is interesting. I often use B&H as my brick and mortar store and pay sales tax. If I read things correctly I can now browse in-store then order online to get the sales tax discount.
The Payboo is also good for in-store purchases, though you do have to have the item shipped.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-07-2019 at 02:18 PM.
05-07-2019, 03:41 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just applying for a new card will affect your Credit Score. Actually opening a new credit account is another credit qualifier. I wouldn’t attach a card with a 30% interest rate to my credit record under any circumstances, no way, no how, ever, never, never, NO, go away!!

If I can’t afford the tax I can’t afford the purchase.
05-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Payboo also includes video on demand? ;-)
Haha! As far as buying photo/video gears is concerned... this is what this B&H is about. Basically, from B&H's perspective, it is doing better than others.

Last edited by hyyz; 05-09-2019 at 07:21 AM.
05-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #28
Pentaxian

My hunch is, B&H expects a lot a folks to not pay off the total purchase amount so any Sales Tax returned will be more than offset by the "** Minimum interest charge is $2." and those oh so tempting purchases enabled by this 29.99% store credit card.

Or I could be completely wrong and they're just looking out for their customers and they'll eat the 7.25% (NC 6.75 State & County + Wake County .5% Transit Tax) Sales Tax
Until somebody gets the card and reads the fine print, we won't know whose money is supporting this thing. The Amazon "store card" is actually issued by Synchrony Bank. The Amazon "credit card" is actually issued by Chase Bank. The actual issuer is who receives the minimum $2 interest charge.
05-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Until somebody gets the card and reads the fine print, we won't know whose money is supporting this thing. The Amazon "store card" is actually issued by Synchrony Bank. The Amazon "credit card" is actually issued by Chase Bank. The actual issuer is who receives the minimum $2 interest charge.
I believe it's Synchrony for this card as well, as they host the application page.

Adam

05-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me the email announcement was a reminder to unsubscribe from all B&H emails.

Chris