Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Great Deal on Lexar Memory Cards at Amazon -- 64 GB 95 Mbps U3 $9.99
Posted By: Proudmale, 06-02-2019, 06:31 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The link to Amazon is

https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professional-633x-64GB-UHS-I/dp/B012PL6K8M/ref=...3&sr=8-4-spell

I bought mine on Friday, free prime delivery today on a Sunday. I tried to give 1 of the cards a quick test. In continuous shooting mode, taken at approximately 20 ft using my K-3, Pentax 18-45 at F4 set to capture 6160 x 4000 captured in Adobe Digital Negative .DNG format 18 files were captured in approximately 8 seconds, file sizes around 29.5 MB for a capture of 531 MB while the buffer was being loaded. Then for the next 25 seconds the capture rate was an additional 38 files for a rate of 1.52 frames per second and 950 MB (38 Mbs) more data being captured.

Note: Those times may have been slowed down by a weak battery. I tried to see if it would keep up at full HD mode, but the battery died after 20 seconds. I will try again tomorrow.

I ordered 10 and they all appear to be in original packaging and were made in Korea.
Views: 3,285
10-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is getting interesting.

10-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
I suspect you may be right. Longsys has made some announcements about Chinese made Flash memory:
"Longsys Electronics has disclosed plans to develop what the company claims is "100% China-made" flash storage device, which will utilize NAND chips manufactured by Yangtze Memory Technologies (YMTC) and other China's homegrown chip solutions."
China's Longsys Electronics to feature Yangtze Memory Technologies' (YMTC) NAND Flash chips
What's interesting is the cards that 'manishved' ordered from Amazon were labelled as made in Korea. It seems odd that a Chinese company would package them there, so perhaps these are old stock? Can anyone see a date code on them?
The source of the flash memory is important - I wouldn't purchase very many of the new units until they have proven themselves again. After all, the company which makes Pentax solenoids switched from those manufactured in Japan to those manufactured in China, and apparently changed materials used simultaneously, without changing product name or number. Apparently the new units passed Pentax's receiving inspection - but aged differently, and the K-30/50 aperture control issued resulted a couple of years later.
10-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
There seems some discrepancy of write speeds published for these Lexar cards, but several reviewers tested them and found write speed to be in the mid 40s to low 50s.
I tested the two cards that I received today, using CrystalDiskMark. The write speeds were 37.85 and 37.46. Not horrible, but not great. The read speeds were 91.77 and 90.78. That seemed pretty good for a 95MB/s card. Added: the write speed on the package is listed as up to 45MB/s.

I also tested the entire volumes using H2testw v1.4. They were without errors.

Last edited by rogerstg; 10-12-2019 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Added write speed pre package
10-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are a ton of fake cards in the market.

10-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
“fake” = Made in China” but not by Longsys??
10-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Why would you think these are fake? Tests verified volume, error free, and speeds were within reason.
10-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I remembered I received a 64 GB Lexar card from Amazon back in May, so pulled it out of the camera to check. Marking on back side indicates:

Leaxar an affiliate of Longsys a Chinese comapny
L121716
00801-V30-64GBSL A
0119B
Made in Korea

Still don't know whose Flash chips are in there. If they are Samsung (or one of the reputable Korean companies) I would feel pretty good about it. I have not used that camera much since May, so I can't really comment on long term reliability.

10-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Why would you think these are fake? Tests verified volume, error free, and speeds were within reason.
Initial tests would be passed.
The question is whether they will continue to be passed.
10-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Initial tests would be passed.
The question is whether they will continue to be passed.
When it comes to counterfeit cards, that's not a relevant question. There's plenty of good information on the web for you to peruse.
10-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #25
Pentaxian

When it comes to counterfeit cards, that's not a relevant question. There's plenty of good information on the web for you to peruse.
You can trust the web if you want to; so many on the web are famous for being famous.

I am more interested in how the cards will behave - and the way Chinese companies behave, I'm willing to trust them only once their products have reproven themselves after they Chinese companies have rearranged production facilities.
10-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

You can trust the web if you want to; so many on the web are famous for being famous.. . . .
Andy would have loved the internet, twitter and the rest:

QuoteQuote:
What's the meaning of the phrase 'Fifteen minutes of fame'?

This is a well-known as a quotation from Andy Warhol. It does derive from Warhol - his actual line was "In the future everybody will be world famous for fifteen minutes.".

What's the origin of the phrase 'Fifteen minutes of fame'?
Famous for fifteen minutesIn February 1968 Warhol exhibited his first international retrospective exhibition at the Moderna Museet gallery in Stockholm. The exhibition catalogue contained "In the future everybody will be world famous for fifteen minutes.". It is far and away the best-known of the many quotations attributed to Warhol, in fact it is probably the only comment of his that most people know.

The line began to bore Warhol in later years when interviewers kept asking him about it. In 1979 he did repeat it though, claiming that the line had truth - "my prediction from the sixties finally came true: In the future everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes.".
'Fifteen minutes of fame' - the meaning and origin of this phrase
10-14-2019, 10:31 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can trust the web if you want to; so many on the web are famous for being famous.

I am more interested in how the cards will behave - and the way Chinese companies behave, I'm willing to trust them only once their products have reproven themselves after they Chinese companies have rearranged production facilities.
You've significantly changed your assertion from fake cards to legit cards from a company you don't trust. It's no big deal that you've changed your position but your snide and illogical comment is unwelcome: I wrote of trusting my testing, not trusting the web.
10-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #28
Pentaxian

You've significantly changed your assertion from fake cards to legit cards from a company you don't trust. It's no big deal that you've changed your position but your snide and illogical comment is unwelcome: I wrote of trusting my testing, not trusting the web.
I do not know anything about this card. Period.

Before it has gone through testing, I know nothing, nothing about it.

Last edited by reh321; 10-14-2019 at 01:37 PM.
10-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Andy would have loved the internet, twitter and the rest:
Perhaps the title of Andy Warhol's "Flash" portfolio fits the subject of this thread (if not the content)?
https://revolverwarholgallery.com/portfolio/flash-complete-portfolio/
10-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #30

For grins, I just bought two Huawei 1TB MicroSDXC card with Adapters for under $13.00 each. If they don't work in the bodies, I'll find a use for them:

Huawei 128GB-1024GB SD Memory Card Class 10 TF Flash Memory Card Quality Storage | eBay