Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Great Deal on Lexar Memory Cards at Amazon -- 64 GB 95 Mbps U3 $9.99
Posted By: Proudmale, 06-02-2019, 06:31 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The link to Amazon is

https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professional-633x-64GB-UHS-I/dp/B012PL6K8M/ref=...3&sr=8-4-spell

I bought mine on Friday, free prime delivery today on a Sunday. I tried to give 1 of the cards a quick test. In continuous shooting mode, taken at approximately 20 ft using my K-3, Pentax 18-45 at F4 set to capture 6160 x 4000 captured in Adobe Digital Negative .DNG format 18 files were captured in approximately 8 seconds, file sizes around 29.5 MB for a capture of 531 MB while the buffer was being loaded. Then for the next 25 seconds the capture rate was an additional 38 files for a rate of 1.52 frames per second and 950 MB (38 Mbs) more data being captured.

Note: Those times may have been slowed down by a weak battery. I tried to see if it would keep up at full HD mode, but the battery died after 20 seconds. I will try again tomorrow.

I ordered 10 and they all appear to be in original packaging and were made in Korea.
Views: 3,296
10-15-2019, 02:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
For grins, I just bought two Huawei 1TB MicroSDXC card with Adapters for under $13.00 each. If they don't work in the bodies, I'll find a use for them:

Huawei 128GB-1024GB SD Memory Card Class 10 TF Flash Memory Card Quality Storage | eBay
I didnt know Huawei was into flash cards!
Could you test writind and reading speeds?

10-15-2019, 03:24 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Price of the Lexar 64 GB cards is back up to $11.99 this morning.
10-15-2019, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fake (counterfeit) cards are one thing and I would never touch them, however the cards that started this thread come from a reliable manufacture (Lexar) and don't have much in the way of a bad history. These are NOT counterfeit (unless Amazon has joined a ring I don't know about).

I understand that Lexar changed hands, but don't start calling "foul" until you have reason to. My Lexar Pro 128 Gb card from two years back was labeled "made in "Korea" and the one I purchased two weeks ago is labeled "made in Taiwan". They are identical in appearance otherwise. This in itself says nothing about the quality except watch for possible quality changes with an emphasis on "possible". The new card formatted and work well so no complaints yet. Most memory chips which work well to begin with will continue (other than infantile failures which do happen). Stress conditions are another thing and some manufactures do a better job of screening (Micron did a 100% stress test on all its chips), but I would assume Lexar new will continue with the same stress tests as Lexar old.

At this point, I'm not hesitant to buy the Lexar Pro SD cards. You can choose the strategy some early computer buyers took where they held out until a better model came along. Some of them are still waiting, but I think I'll pass on that approach.
10-15-2019, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Stress conditions are another thing and some manufactures do a better job of screening (Micron did a 100% stress test on all its chips), but I would assume Lexar new will continue with the same stress tests as Lexar old.
I think it is a big assumption to assume Longsys will incorporate the same screening requirements on the parts as Micron originally did. The screening is usually the largest cost driver on mass produced electronic components, which is why the old Lexar parts probably cost more. I agree that infant mortality can be a problem with any semiconductor product, and a reason why military parts go through operational burn in as part of the screening process. However, there are other design considerations that can relate to the reliability of the part, including thermal performance (how hot the chips are running) and the level of ElectroStatic Discharge (ESD) protection built in. I have not looked at the internal construction of the new Longsys cards in comparison to the old Lexar ones but it might be a fun exercise.

10-18-2019, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the value system in China is way different than in the US. Typically Chinese/Taiwanese manufacturers produce 2 types of the same product - one for the US market and the other for the rest of the world. With the emerging markets now way larger than the US market, this proportion has tipped the other way. So, while in the good old days, Chinese companies used to do contract manufacturing for US companies to market in the US, they used to adhere to standards (such as Underwrite Labs, FCC approvals, etc). None of this mattered for most of the non-US and non-European markets. Now that the demand from those countries has outstripped US market and we do find all this junk peddled by Amazon, Dollar stores, eBay etc being dumped onto our shores.
10-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Fake (counterfeit) cards are one thing and I would never touch them, however the cards that started this thread come from a reliable manufacture (Lexar) and don't have much in the way of a bad history. These are NOT counterfeit (unless Amazon has joined a ring I don't know about).

I understand that Lexar changed hands, but don't start calling "foul" until you have reason to. My Lexar Pro 128 Gb card from two years back was labeled "made in "Korea" and the one I purchased two weeks ago is labeled "made in Taiwan". They are identical in appearance otherwise. This in itself says nothing about the quality except watch for possible quality changes with an emphasis on "possible". The new card formatted and work well so no complaints yet. Most memory chips which work well to begin with will continue (other than infantile failures which do happen). Stress conditions are another thing and some manufactures do a better job of screening (Micron did a 100% stress test on all its chips), but I would assume Lexar new will continue with the same stress tests as Lexar old.

At this point, I'm not hesitant to buy the Lexar Pro SD cards. You can choose the strategy some early computer buyers took where they held out until a better model came along. Some of them are still waiting, but I think I'll pass on that approach.
The point are 'counterfeit" product is to be indistinguishable to the naive purchaser.

The chips used in current Longsys production have not passed the tests of time.
I don't need any memory cards now, so I won't buy any now,

You can spend your money however you need/want.
Even $12 is very cheap for 64GB - its is either a very good deal or a very bad deal for those of you who need it.

Last edited by reh321; 10-18-2019 at 08:28 AM. Reason: added last line
10-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the current price is not that unusual:

amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64GB Class 10 SDXC UHS-I Memory Card up to 80MB/s (SDSDUNC-064G-GN6IN): Computers & Accessories?tag=pentaxforums-20&

10-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #38
Veteran Member

So just out of curiosity, what is the made in Japan chips, good to go, everything is OK, memory card brand that everyone trusts these days at any price?
10-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
So just out of curiosity, what is the made in Japan chips, good to go, everything is OK, memory card brand that everyone trusts these days at any price?
The only flash maker in Japan used to be Toshiba if I remember well, via a JV with Sandisk. I am not sure Toshiba is still in this business though, as its nuclear division was exposed in fukushima disaster, thus had to divest at some point
10-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
The only flash maker in Japan used to be Toshiba if I remember well, via a JV with Sandisk. I am not sure Toshiba is still in this business though, as its nuclear division was exposed in fukushima disaster, thus had to divest at some point
Ouch! nothing like a nuclear natural disaster to ruin your business model... So I guess then most all the cards are about equal nowadays.

Thanks!
10-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Got a long ways from the OP. News is 64Gb @ 10$ (and 128Gb @20$). Make your own decision on buying. Historically, Lexar has been good but that may have changed.

Bottom Line: Memory cards for a good price. You decide.
04-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #42

Lexar (old by Micron) Image Rescue software

While since January 2015 I was using Lexar Professional 400x 128GB U1 60MB/s SDXC card (then $42.30), which is faster than same age Sony 128GB 40MB/s SDXC card (then $39.95), and both were very suitable for my K-3, recently I bought two Lexar Professional 1667x 128 GB U3 V60 UHS-II SDXC cards (£25.61 + p&p amazon.co.uk) for faster RAW downloads with UHS-II card reader still to be ordered.
The first batch of Lexars was from Micron (made in Korea), the latest Lexars are from Longsys (made in Taiwan).
There is 'free Image rescue 4 software' note on older Lexar Professional SD card box from 2015, and there was a code inside the card box - I keep that 17-digit code leaflet.
My QUESTION is:
Which download source would you recommend for that Lexar by Micron image rescue software (v.4 or newer)?

Last edited by Prakticant; 04-18-2020 at 08:46 AM.