Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
DA 17-70mm - $192
Posted By: Adam, 6 Days Ago

Amazon proper is currently selling the Da 17-70mm F4 for just $192!

Pentax 17-70mm f/4 DA SMC AL IF SDM Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo

Views: 906
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This lens and a K-70 or KP, with their impressive high-ISO performance, would be a no-brainer combination.
6 Days Ago   #3

Photos: Gallery
Make sure you read the reviews on this site before buying. Personally 192 is still about $100 more than I would pay.
6 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

Most reviewers seem quite pleased with the image quality. The only negative thing people say is that the SDM is failure-prone. I'd hope the latest copies of this lens were much better in that department, but Ricoh has been silent on when, and if, anything was improved.

I've not had any experience with the Pentax 17-70, but I would point out that the various Sigma 17-70s are quite nice, and available used very cheaply, and do not have an SDM failure reputation. There are V1s on the auction site under $100, and a bunch under $150.

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
Make sure you read the reviews on this site before buying. Personally 192 is still about $100 more than I would pay.

Last edited by Kozlok; 6 Days Ago at 05:43 PM.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #5
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a warrantee? Definitely worth it. I wish they would re-release this one with HD coatings and curved aperture blades and perhaps a slightly larger body and motor. The original is amazing on APSC. I would jump on this if I didn't have the FA* 28-70 and shorter FL lenses already that cover this range.
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you shot one? I have and loved it. I bought a refurbished copy for around this price about five years ago. It has been fine for my step niece as her only lens on a KS2 this entire time. The image quality is fantastic.
5 Days Ago   #7

Yeah the AF doesn't work past 50mm. It's great that you didn't have this problem but many others did, which is why it has one of the lowest AF ratings of any first party lenses on this site.

Other than the AF, though, it's a fine lens, and it has the advantage of not being as slow on the long end as the 16-85. If you get a great sample of this lens, congrats. I'd love one but I went back to my 16-45.

---------- Post added 09-09-2019 at 06:26 AM ----------

Although to be fair I basically don't shoot with zooms anymore anyway.

In any case didn't mean to be harsh, just think people should buy with their eyes open.
5 Days Ago   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah the AF doesn't work past 50mm. It's great that you didn't have this problem but many others did, which is why it has one of the lowest AF ratings of any first party lenses on this site.

Other than the AF, though, it's a fine lens, and it has the advantage of not being as slow on the long end as the 16-85. If you get a great sample of this lens, congrats. I'd love one but I went back to my 16-45.

---------- Post added 09-09-2019 at 06:26 AM ----------

Although to be fair I basically don't shoot with zooms anymore anyway.

In any case didn't mean to be harsh, just think people should buy with their eyes open.

My problem with both our experiences is that they could be equally non-representative of the average lens of this type. Sadly we don't get to handle dozens of randomly selected copies of most lenses. Thanks for the insight into your thinking. I appreciate the candor.

4 Days Ago   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My problem with both our experiences is that they could be equally non-representative of the average lens of this type. Sadly we don't get to handle dozens of randomly selected copies of most lenses. Thanks for the insight into your thinking. I appreciate the candor.
The sad part is that we'd have any reason to have to handle dozens of randomly selected copies - yet that seems to be the state of the art in lens manufacturing.