Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

I got an email: Opportunity to support Flickr.com with a discount
Posted By: aslyfox, 12-19-2019, 07:27 PM

Please share coupon code 25in2019 or link below to give the gift of 25% off Flickr Pro now.
Upgrade everything you do with Flickr | Flickr

QuoteQuote:
Dear Flickr Pros,
First, and above all else: thank you. Thank you for being a part of our community. Thank you for caring about Flickr. Thank you for supporting Flickr. Thank you for being a Flickr Pro.

Two years ago, Flickr was losing tens of millions of dollars a year. Our company, SmugMug, stepped in to rescue it from being shut down and to save tens of billions of your precious photos from being erased.

Why? We’ve spent 17 years lovingly building our company into a thriving, family-owned and -operated business that cares deeply about photographers. SmugMug has always been the place for photographers to showcase their photography, and we’ve long admired how Flickr has been the community where they connect with each other. We couldn’t stand by and watch Flickr vanish.

So we took a big risk, stepped in, and saved Flickr. Together, we created the world’s largest photographer-focused community: a place where photographers can stand out and fit in.

And yet, Flickr—the world’s most-beloved, money-losing business—still needs your help.

We’ve been hard at work improving Flickr. We hired an excellent, large staff of Support Heroes who now deliver support with an average customer satisfaction rating of above 90%. We got rid of Yahoo’s login. We moved the platform and every photo to Amazon Web Services (AWS), the industry leader in cloud computing, and modernized its technology along the way. As a result, pages are already 20% faster and photos load 30% more quickly. Platform outages, including Pandas, are way down. Flickr continues to get faster and more stable, and important new features are being built once again.

Our work is never done, but we’ve made tremendous progress.

Flickr still needs your help. It’s still losing money. You, and hundreds of thousands of loyal Flickr members stepped up and joined Flickr Pro, for which we are eternally grateful. It’s losing a lot less money than it was. But it’s not yet making enough.

We need more Flickr Pro members if we want to keep the Flickr dream alive, and we need your help to share the story of Flickr.

We didn’t buy Flickr because we thought it was a cash cow. Unlike platforms like Facebook, we also didn’t buy it to invade your privacy and sell your data. We bought it because we love photographers, we love photography, and we believe Flickr deserves not only to live on but thrive. We think the world agrees; and we think the Flickr community does, too. But we cannot continue to operate it at a loss as we’ve been doing.

Flickr is the world’s largest photographer-focused community. It’s the world’s best way to find great photography and connect with amazing photographers. Flickr hosts some of the world’s most iconic, most priceless photos, freely available to the entire world. This community is home to more than 100 million accounts and tens of billions of photos. It serves billions of photos every single day. It’s huge. It’s a priceless treasure for the whole world. And it costs money to operate. Lots of money.

As you know, Flickr is the best value in photo sharing anywhere in the world. Flickr Pro members get ad-free browsing for themselves and their visitors, advanced stats, unlimited full-quality storage for all their photos, plus premium features and access to the world’s largest photographer-focused community.
Please, help us spread the word. Help us make Flickr thrive. Help us ensure Flickr has a bright future. Every Flickr Pro subscription goes directly to keeping Flickr alive and creating great new experiences for photographers like you. We are building lots of great things for the Flickr community, but we need your help. We can do this together.

We’re launching our end-of-year Pro subscription campaign on Thursday, December 26, but I want to give you a coupon code to share with friends, family, or anyone who shares your love of photography and community so they can enjoy the same 25% discount before the campaign starts.

We’ve gone to great lengths to optimize Flickr for cost savings wherever possible, but the increasing cost of operating this enormous community and continuing to invest in its future will require a small price increase early in the new year, so this is truly the very best time to help everyone upgrade to a Pro membership.

If you value Flickr finally being independent, built for photographers and by photographers, we need your help.

With gratitude,
Don MacAskill
Co-Founder, CEO & Chief Geek
SmugMug + Flickr

Views: 2,153
01-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
For a site that offers unlimited storage, I believe the cost is very reasonable.
I don't need unlimited storage because I don't have unlimited time and money, so why pay for it.

01-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #17
mee
Veteran Member

The ability to limit image size and the stats are nice features imo.

I'm not sure how they can afford to offer all current customers the old rate another year if things are so desperate there though.

60 a year is kind of steep in a way, if you only host a few dozen images. I think the price was originally 25 dollars. Then 50. Now 60.

OTOH your images are actually hosted for you in a site that supports sharing (should you desire). That's probably a higher cost at another web hosting site to do. Plus the labor of designing the site.

Still prices keep getting higher. I wonder where it will end? Will see see 100 dollar a year plans soon?
01-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The ability to limit image size and the stats are nice features imo.

I'm not sure how they can afford to offer all current customers the old rate another year if things are so desperate there though.

60 a year is kind of steep in a way, if you only host a few dozen images. I think the price was originally 25 dollars. Then 50. Now 60.

OTOH your images are actually hosted for you in a site that supports sharing (should you desire). That's probably a higher cost at another web hosting site to do. Plus the labor of designing the site.

Still prices keep getting higher. I wonder where it will end? Will see see 100 dollar a year plans soon?
my question is, and I don't know the answer, perhaps others might

what other site exists that offers what flickr.com does

at what price

has that price stayed the same, gone down or up

[ BTW, I am a pro member of Flickr.com ]
01-22-2020, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If they are strapped for cash you may not be paying for another year. They may very well pull the plug.

01-22-2020, 04:17 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
If they are strapped for cash you may not be paying for another year. They may very well pull the plug.
I doubt it. Odds are that they severely minimize their free offerings -- say give first 50 photos free and limit size on those or something like that. The issue isn't the paying customers, it is the people who aren't paying but still use a fair amount of bandwidth and storage.
01-22-2020, 04:37 AM   #21
Pentaxian

This is more in line with my concerns. Not so much that the price is rising as it remains affordable for a lot who would benefit from paying for it, but that 'anon' might pay for it and host 20,000 images there before the company can no longer afford to run.

What would happen to the (theoretical) 20,000 images? Would they still be accessible or disappear into the ether?
01-22-2020, 04:52 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
This is more in line with my concerns. Not so much that the price is rising as it remains affordable for a lot who would benefit from paying for it, but that 'anon' might pay for it and host 20,000 images there before the company can no longer afford to run.

What would happen to the (theoretical) 20,000 images? Would they still be accessible or disappear into the ether?
If they kill off Flickr they are gone I guess. This is a problem with hosting and embedding. I have a lot of images on different fora. In order to keep them there I need to pay Flickr even if they keep raising their price. I could get my own website to host my images, or use a home server, but those are not a photographic community.

01-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I doubt it. Odds are that they severely minimize their free offerings -- say give first 50 photos free and limit size on those or something like that. The issue isn't the paying customers, it is the people who aren't paying but still use a fair amount of bandwidth and storage.
I imagine so.

If they kill off Flickr they are gone I guess. This is a problem with hosting and embedding. I have a lot of images on different fora. In order to keep them there I need to pay Flickr even if they keep raising their price. I could get my own website to host my images, or use a home server, but those are not a photographic community.
Ditto. If I had to move my photos (all 6188 of them) I'd be very annoyed. I'd also miss Flickr as both a community and a resource.
01-24-2020, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been a flickr pro member since about 2007. Really hope to keep using the service. I keep thinking if they tank I'll finally write my own service that lives on AWS, and write a migrator that uses the flickr API to move all of my content over...
01-25-2020, 06:55 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'd also miss Flickr as both a community and a resource.
This is the main reason I chose to renew for two years at the discount price. I was a free rider until about two years ago, Pro was worth my while at a price I was willing to pay. I'd used Photobucket for a bit, but I prefer Flickr. I am not c8uncerned with unlimited photo storage. I cull out my photostream quarterly.