Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
D FA 70-210mm F4 - Now in stock!
Posted By: Adam, 02-09-2020, 07:00 PM

It looks like the new 70-210mm has just hit the shelves at Adorama! Can't complain about the turnaround time for this lens

Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR Lens

Views: 7,178
02-09-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow !! What a nice surprise already.
02-09-2020, 09:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Adorama's specs show the lens case as being "optional". $1000+ lens and they can't include a lens pouch? Tacky.
02-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! Hopefully stocks will also arrive in Oz sooner than expected.

02-09-2020, 10:23 PM   #5
Dan
Pentaxian

With a price of $1100 it sells for a premium of $500 over the very similar Tamron lens in Nikon and Canon mounts. Adorama sells the Tamron for $600, with a case and accessory bundle. While I expect Pentax users to have to pay a premium, that strikes me as a tad too high.
02-09-2020, 10:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
While I expect Pentax users to have to pay a premium, that strikes me as a tad too high.
Fortunately the Australian price seems a better deal at current exchange rates.
But anyway, the price you pay for a lens that requires a new body to mount it on is a bit of a moot point really....
02-09-2020, 10:50 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Adorama's specs show the lens case as being "optional". $1000+ lens and they can't include a lens pouch? Tacky.
Yep...optional. Were you planning on a purchase? The case is $25 USD. (I thought you sold your K-1ii.)

With a price of $1100 it sells for a premium of $500 over the very similar Tamron lens in Nikon and Canon mounts. Adorama sells the Tamron for $600, with a case and accessory bundle. While I expect Pentax users to have to pay a premium, that strikes me as a tad too high.
Regular price on the Tamron is $799 and the case is not a standard accessory. The case/accessory bundle is Adorama's bundle, not Tamron's. Of course, if one wishes to purchase the Tamron, they must have a Nikon or Canon body. You should be able to get a purchase price in the $800 range on the Pentax lens by this time next year.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-09-2020 at 10:56 PM.
02-09-2020, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The lens pouch of every lens I have ever bought still lives in the box in which it came. I won't miss the DFA700-210 pouch.
02-10-2020, 12:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Fortunately the Australian price seems a better deal at current exchange rates.
But anyway, the price you pay for a lens that requires a new body to mount it on is a bit of a moot point really....
The launch price of the Tamron version is probably more to the point, anyway, whatever that was.

Pentax Australia is still advertising availability as 5th March 2020.
02-10-2020, 04:13 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Launch price a street price often end up being quite a bit different. Pentax is getting a little extra revenue out of the early adopters and will gradually lower the price down the road.

I have mentioned before, but the DFA 24-70 is priced at 1126 while the Tamron 24-70 G2 is priced at 1199. The Pentax DFA 15-30 is priced at 1296 and the Tamron 15-30 is priced at 1199 or 1299 depending on the mount (B and H prices). The point is that Pentax usually doesn't end up pricing the lenses for more than a hundred more than what the Tamron versions are priced, but the initial price is often a little bit high.
02-10-2020, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I have a large collection of mouldy old cases and pouches I don't know what to with except throw away.
02-10-2020, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any description of the Tamron lens I see lists no ED elements. The Pentax version has three ED elements. The DPReview article of the Tamron on lens lists no ED elements. They do mention that CA can be eliminated in post processing. The higher end Tamron lenses all list ED elements when they have them. No focus limiting either.

This lens is more than simply a rebranded Tamron lens.
02-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Any description of the Tamron lens I see lists no ED elements. The Pentax version has three ED elements. The DPReview article of the Tamron on lens lists no ED elements. They do mention that CA can be eliminated in post processing. The higher end Tamron lenses all list ED elements when they have them. No focus limiting either.

I'm not arguing with you, but when you look at the diagrams of the Tamron and the Pentax side by side, they look exactly the same. I guess I wonder if you can just pull out a regular element and replace it with an ED element and otherwise not change the optical formula? I'm asking, because I honestly don't know.

My impression with this lens was that it was basically the Tamron lens, with the VC taken out, a focus limiter, and with Pentax coatings.
02-10-2020, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I have so many lens cases sitting in my cupboard. Without a shoulder strap they are next to useless.

I prefer the third party cases that have a strap that can be attached to the sides of camera cases.

---------- Post added 02-10-20 at 11:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm not arguing with you, but when you look at the diagrams of the Tamron and the Pentax side by side, they look exactly the same. I guess I wonder if you can just pull out a regular element and replace it with an ED element and otherwise not change the optical formula? I'm asking, because I honestly don't know.

My impression with this lens was that it was basically the Tamron lens, with the VC taken out, a focus limiter, and with Pentax coatings.
The focus limiter suggests a whole new outer case and internal design. Until someone finds out where the lenses are being built we know nothing. Does anyone even know if Pentax is manufacturing the glass using Tamron facilities or getting their blanks from Tamron. What does anyone actually know? Tamron could have modified their line to meet Pentax specs, Pentax could have licensed the design but took over all production. It could be any combination in between. Pentax could also have tightened the tolerances on critical elements without changing the overall design.

There's nothing scarier than people who don't know what they don't know.

Unless it's people who exaggerate to make a point.

Last edited by normhead; 02-10-2020 at 09:25 AM.
02-10-2020, 09:52 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

From Tamron's own description of the 70-210/4:

QuoteQuote:
...provides superb optical performance throughout the entire zoom range. Applying three LD (Low Dispersion) lens elements...