Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Irix Dragonfly 150 2.8 Macro 1:1 $299
Posted By: landofcourtness, 04-22-2020, 07:22 AM

Hey,

I was just seeing that Irix announced an Dragonfly 45 1.4, and then on the Pentax In-Depth Lens Reviews I saw one recently for a similar 150 2.8. I have a Tam 90 2.8, but I have always thought about adding a 135mm at some point... so it seemed kind of similar. Never had an Irix, but I've heard really good things. I do really like the look of them (kind of like a Samyang/Rokinon, but the next step).
Irix 150mm F2.8 Macro Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

On Amazon they have the same lens, from the same retail/manufacturer in 'Good' condition for $299 (listed $495). You have to click the other sellers option... but if you look, I think you'll see that its from the same company/location as the 'New' full-price. Not sure what 'Good' means, but figured coming from the actual company seems like a good sign... and a pretty good deal!!
amazon.com : Irix 150mm f/2.8 Macro 1:1 Dragonfly Lens for Pentax : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Views: 3,526
04-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Condition:
All original accessories are included. Lens is in perfect condition. Possibly some minor marks or scratches on the body of the lens, never on the front or rear elements. 6 months US warranty.

if i didn't already have one, i'd buy it!
04-22-2020, 09:40 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yeah, it seems to be the perfect Macro lens... once you get used to the focal length. After waffling (and especially in terms of my bank account), I decided to pull the trigger. For $317, it seems like a deal you won't find again. I've been hoping to get into Macro a lot a lot more (have mostly been using my Tam 90 2.8, but have felt it has been lacking) Not sure if it's a covid-19 thing, but it apparently won't get here until May 14th. As it says in the Pentax review, because Pentax has IBIS, that drawback is pretty much negated! It feels like the perfect match for a K-1 (and maybe some TTL-HSS), with the ability to draw out all of the IQ that 36MPs has. And a plus that it comes weather sealed!

Any feedback on the lens itself or things to look out for/tips would be great!!??

Last edited by landofcourtness; 04-22-2020 at 09:55 AM.
04-22-2020, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there is also a thread dedicated to this lens in the Lens Archives forum....

04-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
Hey,

I was just seeing that Irix announced an Dragonfly 45 1.4, and then on the Pentax In-Depth Lens Reviews I saw one recently for a similar 150 2.8. I have a Tam 90 2.8, but I have always thought about adding a 135mm at some point... so it seemed kind of similar. Never had an Irix, but I've heard really good things. I do really like the look of them (kind of like a Samyang/Rokinon, but the next step).
Irix 150mm F2.8 Macro Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

On Amazon they have the same lens, from the same retail/manufacturer in 'Good' condition for $299 (listed $495). You have to click the other sellers option... but if you look, I think you'll see that its from the same company/location as the 'New' full-price. Not sure what 'Good' means, but figured coming from the actual company seems like a good sign... and a pretty good deal!!
amazon.com : Irix 150mm f/2.8 Macro 1:1 Dragonfly Lens for Pentax : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Thank you very much for the tip, I grabbed one. When I did it said there were a few left, so they must be getting rid of some returned/refurb stock. Anyway, not that I need a another lens right now (trying to unload a bunch of gear), but this one has been on my radar for a long time to maybe functionally replace my Samyang 135mm f2. Okay, obviously not lenses you would traditionally compare and have different strengths, but I am trying to simplify how many lenses I own. If the Irix could do my astro stuff and macro, then I could replace the Samyang and call it good It seems doubtful from what I've read that the Irix will do as well as the Samyang until stopped down even further, which gets rid of some of the appeal, but I'll try it out myself and be the judge of that.

Oh, and mine quoted an even farther out delivery date of May 22nd. I think those are just given to set expectation, we have had Amazon orders recently set really far back and come sooner, though still delayed. Definitely related to COVID-19.

04-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The price is $495 now.
04-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The price is $495 now.
When I checked out, it said that there were only 2 left, so I guess there were only 3-total (or at least from when I found it)

To Snappy: I've just recently started to get into Astro... don't you usually need a focal length that is really wide (I've been mostly using a Sig 35 1.4). This much punch, and I would imagine you'd be super zoomed into the nights' sky. I suppose it's all relative. I've also received things significantly faster than it was advertised (here in Boston, if distance is some kind of a factor). Also, enjoy your channel! Have been subbed since your Six MegaPixel club video. Almost convinced me to jump on some Samyang/Rokinons of my own.

04-22-2020, 01:38 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

To Snappy: I've just recently started to get into Astro... don't you usually need a focal length that is really wide (I've been mostly using a Sig 35 1.4). This much punch, and I would imagine you'd be super zoomed into the nights' sky. I suppose it's all relative. I've also received things significantly faster than it was advertised (here in Boston, if distance is some kind of a factor). Also, enjoy your channel! Have been subbed since your Six MegaPixel club video. Almost convinced me to jump on some Samyang/Rokinons of my own.
Not to derail this thread too much (especially since it looks like the deal is not to be found anymore) but to answer your question: I'm only a beginner with astro so not much farther along than your knowledge, but you have your wide-angle astro, or nightscapes as people may refer to them, which let you get cool things like star trail and milky way nightscapes, and then you have the astrophotography that refers to capturing more specific celestial objects that are much smaller to our eyes. I've only done some of the bigger objects, nothing too crazy, but the 135mm on my K-1 was a good focal length for that (using astrotracer).

Here's some samples of my (once again beginner) results with the Samyang 135mm, and what I'd be hoping to get close to with this Irix now.

Also, very fun that you've seen my channel before. Glad you like my goofy stuff

Thank you again for the deal tip!
04-22-2020, 02:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Not to derail this thread too much (especially since it looks like the deal is not to be found anymore) but to answer your question: I'm only a beginner with astro so not much farther along than your knowledge, but you have your wide-angle astro, or nightscapes as people may refer to them, which let you get cool things like star trail and milky way nightscapes, and then you have the astrophotography that refers to capturing more specific celestial objects that are much smaller to our eyes. I've only done some of the bigger objects, nothing too crazy, but the 135mm on my K-1 was a good focal length for that (using astrotracer).

Here's some samples of my (once again beginner) results with the Samyang 135mm, and what I'd be hoping to get close to with this Irix now.

Nice images. Are they with the Astrotracer?
04-22-2020, 05:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Nice images. Are they with the Astrotracer?
Yes, I believe both are 5 stacked 30 second exposures with astrotracer on the K-1 and Samyang 135mm at f2. Heavily cropped, I made add. That is not the field of view 135mm gets you haha.
04-23-2020, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was a real good deal. Pulled the trigger in Jan, and 50% more...
Since deal is over, it's ok to derail this thread I guess:-) ...
The longer the focal the better...

Galaxie d'Andromède / Andromeda Galaxy (M31, NGC 224) | Flickr
Some stacked versions are available if you browse to the right...
04-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The price is $495 now.
And today new is $400... But no used options!!
05-07-2020, 08:20 AM - 4 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just updating... that it did in fact come in 2-days ago. It didn't come in the cool blue box that you see with all of the Unboxing on YouTube. It came with the case, two back end-caps, one front-cap, lens hood, tripod mount. As far as condition, it does appear to meet the advertised condition; in Perfect condition. I wouldn't be surprised if it were some kind of hold-over from a kind of 'review-copy' or so. I can truly say that the lens is built like a tank! It's heavier than any other lens, including my 70-200... almost to the point where its easy for me to feel fatigue just from using it. Maybe, it's also a combination of the needing to use my hand not only to hold the camera+lens, but also needed to use the manual-focus. The Manual Focus feels really nice, and I fully support all manual lenses have that little bump for guidance. The rubber is super squishy-comfortable, but you definitely miss if the little bump isn't felt. 270* is a really long focus throw... and in terms of use, it takes me some serious time to figure out what direction to rotate the barrel to get the focus you want. I have a Tam 90, but I don't remember it's focus being so sensitive, in terms of getting in focus what you want... BUT I don't think I've ever felt so much control, and it might be that its giving a new understanding of DoField. You can really feel it move over your field of view. I also really do love having all of the info on the barrel. I've never really fully understood how or when the 1:x came into play until now (or I'm starting to). The last thing I'll say is Holy Focus Breathing! As you turn the barrel to find your focus, look again and somehow the object has moved slightly closer/further away.

All-in-all, its been a fun couple of days playing with it as a Macro-lens. I imagine as I use it more, I'll get more used to which direction the barrel needs to turn to get the focus I want, and the Focus Breathing really isn't that big of a deal. It's a rugged lens, with superb IQ (might be the best lens that I have, which is saying something!)... for $300, no complaints at all. Makes my K-1 sing! Maybe I'll post some pictures, once I take this thing outside. I don't feel like I need to add any lens to my lineup, as it feels pretty complete now!! (I would like a super telephoto of some kind... hoping for that new teleconverter to extend my Sig 70-200 into 140-400 to help with when I shoot sports + birding)
05-07-2020, 05:18 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just updating... that it did in fact come in 2-days ago. It didn't come in the cool blue box that you see with all of the Unboxing on YouTube. It came with the case, two back end-caps, one front-cap, lens hood, tripod mount. As far as condition, it does appear to meet the advertised condition; in Perfect condition. I wouldn't be surprised if it were some kind of hold-over from a kind of 'review-copy' or so. I can truly say that the lens is built like a tank! It's heavier than any other lens, including my 70-200... almost to the point where its easy for me to feel fatigue just from using it. Maybe, it's also a combination of the needing to use my hand not only to hold the camera+lens, but also needed to use the manual-focus. The Manual Focus feels really nice, and I fully support all manual lenses have that little bump for guidance. The rubber is super squishy-comfortable, but you definitely miss if the little bump isn't felt. 270* is a really long focus throw... and in terms of use, it takes me some serious time to figure out what direction to rotate the barrel to get the focus you want. I have a Tam 90, but I don't remember it's focus being so sensitive, in terms of getting in focus what you want... BUT I don't think I've ever felt so much control, and it might be that its giving a new understanding of DoField. You can really feel it move over your field of view. I also really do love having all of the info on the barrel. I've never really fully understood how or when the 1:x came into play until now (or I'm starting to). The last thing I'll say is Holy Focus Breathing! As you turn the barrel to find your focus, look again and somehow the object has moved slightly closer/further away.

All-in-all, its been a fun couple of days playing with it as a Macro-lens. I imagine as I use it more, I'll get more used to which direction the barrel needs to turn to get the focus I want, and the Focus Breathing really isn't that big of a deal. It's a rugged lens, with superb IQ (might be the best lens that I have, which is saying something!)... for $300, no complaints at all. Makes my K-1 sing! Maybe I'll post some pictures, once I take this thing outside. I don't feel like I need to add any lens to my lineup, as it feels pretty complete now!! (I would like a super telephoto of some kind... hoping for that new teleconverter to extend my Sig 70-200 into 140-400 to help with when I shoot sports + birding)
Thanks for the update... I'd love to see some of your photos taken with it... I enjoy my Pentax 100mm WR macro for flowers and other interesting small things, and have found it most useful in manual focus mode.
With my older Canon XSI I got a Tamron 90MM macro from someone on a forum, and love that lens! This lens sounds like it would be something I would use a lot, and for $300 well worth it! Maybe I'll keep my eyes open for such a deal. :-)
05-10-2020, 01:13 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote

I got the lens aswell put i can't seem the stars to point... it all look like cones. It is a macro lens in the end... maybe that's the issue. Can't find any problems beyond this on the lens so.