Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
Sirui Filters on sale at Adorama
Posted By: micromacro, 06-27-2020, 03:42 PM

https://www.adorama.com/l/?searchinfo=sirui+filter

I bought circular and 100mm filters today. There are not much reviews on these filters, and I don't khow if they are good.

I found the video about it

Views: 2,597
07-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I got the package today. I'm not an expert of ND filters, but the glass looks good. I've tested only one ND filter on the wall, it's vignetting, but I use it for 12mm lens on full frame. I guess any filter will vignette for this lens, but again, I may be wrong.

I like circular polarizer filters, they seem much better than my ProOptic and Roketfish cheap filters. This is the first time I decided to invest in filters. I wish I could give more feedback, sorry.

ND filters seem to be the same quality, only those from 2019 have better package, and those from 2016 have kind of "cheaper" case and kind of modest marketing ))), but they all marked the same Sirui-PRO filters. That difference in packaging confused me the first when I opened the box, then I figured out the reason: they are made 3 years apart.

If someone is interested, I can take pictures of the actual filters how I received, how they packed.
07-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I got the package today. I'm not an expert of ND filters, but the glass looks good. I've tested only one ND filter on the wall, it's vignetting, but I use it for 12mm lens on full frame. I guess any filter will vignette for this lens, but again, I may be wrong.

I like circular polarizer filters, they seem much better than my ProOptic and Roketfish cheap filters. This is the first time I decided to invest in filters. I wish I could give more feedback, sorry.

ND filters seem to be the same quality, only those from 2019 have better package, and those from 2016 have kind of "cheaper" case and kind of modest marketing ))), but they all marked the same Sirui-PRO filters. That difference in packaging confused me the first when I opened the box, then I figured out the reason: they are made 3 years apart.

If someone is interested, I can take pictures of the actual filters how I received, how they packed.
The only round ND that might not vignette (emphasis might) is from Breakthrough, and theirs are far more expensive. Otherwise you're left with either square filters and a holder or an on-sensor ND. A bit of cropping if it eliminates it on the Serui is fine IMO considering the very fair price. I'd read a review of those a week or so back and Sirui got good marks.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-06-2020 at 03:24 PM.
07-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The only round ND that might not vignette (emphasis might) is from Breakthrough, and theirs are far more expensive. Otherwise you're left with either square filters and a holder or an on-sensor ND. A bit of cropping if it eliminates it on the Serui is fine IMO considering the very fair price. I'd read a review of those a week or so back and Sirui got good marks.
Thank you for the information. I did not have a chance to try ND filters I bought, I was going to the beach, but our beaches were closed for 3 days, when the sky was amazing. (((

07-11-2020, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
micromacro Thanks for the tip. I ordered 1, 49mm size and a MeFoto 49mm polarizer.
Got $10 off from points accumulated and got them both for a total of $14.89 shipped. I know that's
there's better filters out there. But it is a start for not much money. And they fit 5 of my lenses.
07-11-2020, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you don't find what you need, B and H also has some Chiaro UV and clear filters on sale in limited quantities. I bought an 86mm 98% light transmission UV filter for my 150-450 for under 27 dollars and a slightly lower light transmission 82mm UV filter for my old Sigma 24-70 for 10 bucks! It is a 95% light transmission version, the 98 and 99% versions are more expensive, but it works well and is not noticeable. Very nicely packaged and no noticeable difference shooting that I can notice so far.
07-13-2020, 05:47 AM - 5 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bought the SIRUI 10 Stop ND filter 82-95mm Step up. Adorama had a used one for $14.00.

The below pic was shot with Pentax K1 - DFA24-70 F2.8

07-15-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sureshgvv Quote
Bought the SIRUI 10 Stop ND filter 82-95mm Step up. Adorama had a used one for $14.00.
Nice!
I tested my filters today for the first time. I liked reversible ND filter 100x150 a lot.
I also used two filters together today, reversible and 6 stops ND 100x100. K-1 with Laowa 12mm Zero-D. ( profile correction for Sigma in LR)

Here is the image with 2 filters together. The color is as shoot, I used auto color mode.

The problem is the reflection of the lens on image. Perhaps because I forgot to cover the viewfinder?

One more with only one reversible ND filter, with the lens reflection again.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by micromacro; 07-15-2020 at 10:05 PM. Reason: extra image
07-15-2020, 10:58 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice!
I tested my filters today for the first time. I liked reversible ND filter 100x150 a lot.
I also used two filters together today, reversible and 6 stops ND 100x100. K-1 with Laowa 12mm Zero-D. ( profile correction for Sigma in LR)

Here is the image with 2 filters together. The color is as shoot, I used auto color mode.

The problem is the reflection of the lens on image. Perhaps because I forgot to cover the viewfinder?

One more with only one reversible ND filter, with the lens reflection again.
Unfortunately, that is a filter problem. You have light bouncing off the front lens bezel back to the filter and then into the lens, and from there to the sensor.
07-15-2020, 11:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Unfortunately, that is a filter problem. You have light bouncing off the front lens bezel back to the filter and then into the lens, and from there to the sensor.
Wow, it is a problem then.((( Is it for any filter, or it depends on filter quality? I'm totally novice, have no idea.
07-16-2020, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, it is a problem then.((( Is it for any filter, or it depends on filter quality? I'm totally novice, have no idea.
It is a quality issue. I suspect the filter doesn't have an anti reflection coating on the lens side of the glass. The ultra wide angle lens is going to make this sort of thing look worse. It's just the nature of the beast. I'm kind of in awe of the 800 second exposure. That harkens me back to my view camera days when 15 minute exposures were quite normal for me. Funny reflection artifacts can pop up in those types of exposures too.

You were concerned about vignetting, and gatorguy suggested a breakthrough filter might help in that area. i suspect a filter from that brand would help with the reflections as well, but they are very expensive.
There is a company selling filters that mount inside the camera body. I don't recall the name offhand (embarassing, since I posted it here a few days ago). That might be something to look into for use with the 12mm lens.
Also, I just noticed that you had stacked the filters. This might be the culprit. Maybe try some pictures with just one filter on and see if that cures things. If that does, try changing the order of the stack and see if you can make the reflections go away.
Stacking filters is one of those fraught with peril things.
I frequently do it, but I'm not using lenses as wide as you are, and I am generally using filters from Zeiss or Breakthrough that are multicoated on both surfaces.

The things that I see that are giving you grief are the very small aperture, the very long exposures, and, of course, the filter stack.

See if you can reproduce it with just one filter. Your exposure time will be shortened, but I think if it's going to show up, it will probably show up in an exposure of a few minutes the same way it showed up in your 13 minute exposure. The idea is to pin down exactly what caused the problem so as to eliminate it. When doing your sherlocking, only change one lens parameter at a time. Try both filters, but open the aperture a few stops (obviously this will necessitate a shorter exposure, that can't be helped). Remove one filter, but leave the lens stopped down, try with just the other filter, adjusting the exposure time, not the aperture.
Try reversing the filter stack, keeping the aperture small. Try the reversed stack with the aperture opened up a bit.
You won't have to work to hard to figure it out, and then you can eliminate the issue.
Good luck, and don't be afraid to PM me if you want.
07-16-2020, 05:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It is a quality issue. I suspect the filter doesn't have an anti reflection coating on the lens side of the glass. The ultra wide angle lens is going to make this sort of thing look worse. It's just the nature of the beast. I'm kind of in awe of the 800 second exposure. That harkens me back to my view camera days when 15 minute exposures were quite normal for me. Funny reflection artifacts can pop up in those types of exposures too.
Actually, I just realized that I did not test the ND filter itself, only with graduated reverse filter, therefore I can't tell if the ND will reflect the lens itself. Both filters 4 and 3 stops cost me $34.90 each in this deal, https://www.adorama.com/sirv10015034.html?

I used one of that filters yesterday.

For comparison, the same 4 stop filter from the set is $149.90 at BH:

Sirui S-Pro 100 x 150mm Reverse-Graduated Neutral Density RGND16

Last edited by micromacro; 07-16-2020 at 06:24 AM.
07-16-2020, 06:05 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, I just realized that I did not test the ND filter itself, only with graduated reverse filter, therefore I can't tell if the ND will reflect the lens itself. Both filters 4 and 3 stops cost me $34.90 in this deal, https://www.adorama.com/sirv10015034.html?

I used one of that filters yesterday.

For comparison, the same 4 stop filter from the set is $149.90 at BH:

Sirui S-Pro 100 x 150mm Reverse-Graduated Neutral Density RGND16
Lana, it won't hurt to throw a lens cloth over the viewfinder either if it's going be more than a few second exposure. Like it was said in "Jurassic Park": Light will find a way.
07-16-2020, 06:19 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Lana, it won't hurt to throw a lens cloth over the viewfinder either if it's going be more than a few second exposure. Like it was said in "Jurassic Park": Light will find a way.
I will do that next time for sure. It's not necessary to drive half an hour to catch the sun above the ocean, just to find the sun rising above the lake nearby for the testing. )))

I also plan to cover the letters on lens with black matte tape, it may help. I guess.

But anyway, Laowa 12mm is crazy wide on FF, I also can crop the affected area. When I buy the universal holder, I also can test all filters on other lenses.
07-16-2020, 06:23 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I will do that next time for sure. It's not necessary to drive half an hour to catch the sun above the ocean, just to find the sun rising above the lake nearby for the testing. )))

I also plan to cover the letters on lens with black matte tape, it may help. I guess.

But anyway, Laowa 12mm is crazy wide on FF, I also can crop the affected area. When I buy the universal holder, I also can test all filters on other lenses.
You have the rectangular filters? What are you using now to hold them? I think I might have a spare 100mm NISi holder I was going to sell but seeing as you're a fellow Floridian, and a Pentaxian at that....
PM me.