Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
B&H Holiday Photo Deals
Posted By: ramseybuckeye, 11-02-2020, 04:37 AM

B&H sent an email out today with "Holiday Photo Deals" that include many Pentax items, I think many of these items are the same prices that they have been but I did notice the battery grip for the KP is $147 ($80 off) which is the first time I have seen it marked down.
Views: 2,287
11-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
B&H sent an email out today with "Holiday Photo Deals" that include many Pentax items, I think many of these items are the same prices that they have been but I did notice the battery grip for the KP is $147 ($80 off) which is the first time I have seen it marked down.
Thanks for posting. I'm with you. Most of those items have been at those prices for some time now.

11-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Very tempted to get the KP battery grip as it would help with heavier zoom lenses. Nice price!
With my left hand supporting the lens while my right hand holds the body, I have no problem at all with the heaviest zoom lens I own - even with the 'small' grip - and I could hold heavier.
Having my KP heavier is the last thing I would want - I would prefer to reduce its weight.
11-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
B&H Holiday Photo Deals

I think the biggest advantage of the grip is the extra battery,And the second release button, makes those verticals a bit easier to shoot. I’ve found it balances my 55-300 quite well. Haven’t noticed all that “extra” weight.

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
With my left hand supporting the lens while my right hand holds the body, I have no problem at all with the heaviest zoom lens I own - even with the 'small' grip - and I could hold heavier.
Having my KP heavier is the last thing I would want - I would prefer to reduce its weight.
I do and feel exactly the same. Still, I find that I'm being tempted.

11-11-2020, 07:19 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I wanted the grip but decided not to, it would just make it bulkier. I use a DA300* with a TC regularly and see no need for a grip. But it's still tempting for portrait oriented photos, but I will resist. Had they run this two months ago I would have bought.
I love my KP with battery grip with the exact lens combination you are using. My hands are probably larger than yours, however, the grip makes verticals so much more natural. The biggest bonus- using a DLi-90 battery in place of the super wimpy DLi-190. I almost never touch the battery in the camera. Even inexpensive aftermarket DLi-90 batteries like Wasabi Power and Kastar last twice as long as a DLi-190.
11-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #21

Arg, I bought the battery grip about a month ago for the KP and it was more than that used. It was $170 from Adorama and missing the adapter tray for the smaller battery when it arrived (though they were good about getting me the missing part after I contacted their customer service since the listing didn't mention missing parts). I guess I got to use it for a month for my $25 extra.

I agree the other prices seem fairly standard. I looked at the Pentax 35mm DA L f/2.4 AL week or two ago and it was the same price many places. I managed to snag a used one (the weird Japan-only gold color) off the Goodwill site for $54 before shipping with a bunch of random teleconverters and some weird Sony e mount 6.5mm lens. I didn't particularly want the other lenses, but they were part of the bundle. The "fantastic plastic" in gold turned out to be in good condition with little visible use.

I guess you win some and lose some.
11-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

The pricing is about standard. I am hoping that after Thanksgiving if sales are weak they will do some price adjustments to clear out some stock.......

11-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I do and feel exactly the same. Still, I find that I'm being tempted.
My point was that I see no gain - the camera handles fine as-is with the small grip, and I got only loss when size and mass of my Rebel increased - nor would I expect any gain here.
11-11-2020, 10:56 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Thanks for posting. I'm with you. Most of those items have been at those prices for some time now.
Raise the list price, then mark it down as on sale for the price it was going to be sold for anyway. Oldest marketing trick in the book.
11-12-2020, 06:53 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My point was that I see no gain - the camera handles fine as-is with the small grip, and I got only loss when size and mass of my Rebel increased - nor would I expect any gain here.
It's OK, it was a bit tongue in cheek. For me it would be handy at events where I'd be taking lots of portrait shots. Those are few. Also, from a practical standpoint I'd need to remove the Capture Clip plate, attach the grip, maybe reattach the plate and reverse the process to return to "normal." Knowing myself, I'd usually not bother.

Like you (my assumption), I find the notion of "better balance" to be specious.