Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Camera Trading Company closing sale
Posted By: Frank29, 12-23-2020, 12:50 PM

There's a small on line store in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada called the Camera Trading Company (We Sell Used Cameras, Used Lenses, ? Camera Trading Company) that sells used equipment and they have quite a few old Pentax lenses and some cameras - mostly film cameras.
They are going out of business in January and items can be bought at even better than normal prices. I just bought a D-FA 50mm f2.8 macro lens. They have a few digital era lenses, but mostly K, A, and M lenses.

Check them out!
Views: 2,555
12-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the heads up. But it's very sad to see a photography store go out of business. Not unexpected in these times but sad nonetheless.
12-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank29 Quote
They are going out of business in January and items can be bought at even better than normal prices. I just bought a D-FA 50mm f2.8 macro lens.
I think that some of us who live in Ottawa will miss this place, as they operated a small brick-and-mortar store on Bank Street. I've purchased a few things from them over the years. I thought that their prices were fair for the commercial market, but not real bargains, shall we say. Still, they had a large inventory and some hard-to-find items.

@Frank29, are they selling stuff at a significant discount now? Any dickering?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-23-2020 at 04:13 PM.
12-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's a small on line store in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada called the Camera Trading Company (We Sell Used Cameras, Used Lenses, ? Camera Trading Company) that sells used equipment and they have quite a few old Pentax lenses and some cameras - mostly film cameras.
They are going out of business in January and items can be bought at even better than normal prices. I just bought a D-FA 50mm f2.8 macro lens. They have a few digital era lenses, but mostly K, A, and M lenses.

Check them out!
Just a heads up @Frank29, they are also a Brick & Mortar store on Bank St. In Ottawa, sorry to hear of their closing 😢

12-23-2020, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
These are brutal times for small business.
12-23-2020, 05:06 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
These are brutal times for small business.
Indeed.

In this case, however, I tend to think that they're closing naturally. It is operated by two 'older' gentlemen who have been in the business for decades, so I think they may have simply decided to close shop and retire.

A couple of years ago, they moved from their location to a smaller storefront, and intended to operate online and by appointment for in-person business. I believe that the response from the local clientele prompted them to continue the in-person business, but on Saturdays only.

In any case, theirs was the only used-camera shop in Ottawa, and they'll be missed.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-23-2020 at 05:16 PM.
12-27-2020, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, sucks to see any sort of enthusiast store for anything close, but I did order a few used lenses from them.
Kristian

12-28-2020, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

It stings every time a shop like this goes out. I regret not knowing about it sooner as they seem to have a fair amount of vintage pentax gear. I jus ordered an adaptall lens and adapter, takumar lenses and lens hoods.

Thanks for posting this.
01-02-2021, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Just a heads up to anyone who ordered from them when this was posted over a week ago:

They reached out to me today to let me know something on my order was listed slightly incorrectly (wasn't a big deal, I appreciated their attention to detail.) They also mentioned they have been slammed with orders and behind, which is understandable. They said my order should go out early next week. I wasn't expecting any sooner because of the holidays and such, but I wanted to pass this on in case anyone was feeling antsy about no shipment update for over a week.

I'm excited for my stuff to come. Got some good stuff. Thanks again to the original poster.
01-08-2021, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got an email saying the lenses I'd ordered have shipped, except one that should have been marked as sold on the website. Looks like I'm not getting that nice Vivitar series 1 200/f3 after all. Still have a few others on the way though.
Kristian
01-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Just wanted to follow-up because I thought this was nice. All my items arrived today safely wrapped. Mine was a rather large order. Included in the box were four items labeled "gift", which I didn't notice at first and thought I had received the wrong order. According to the note on the order receipt they are four gift film bodies "for display". I am assuming they are non operable for one reason or another, but still pretty fun.

The Canon is pretty cool. I've never seen one like that.

Anyway, bummed they are going out of business! Packaging and service was great. Enjoying my new toys.

Last edited by Snapppy; 06-21-2021 at 06:51 AM.
01-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I'm pretty sure I walked in once or twice. My visits to Ottawa will now be a lot less interesting.
01-19-2021, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . They are going out of business in January and items can be bought at even better than normal prices. I just bought a D-FA 50mm f2.8 macro lens. They have a few digital era lenses, but mostly K, A, and M lenses.

Check them out!
happy days are here again

QuoteQuote:
Camera Trading Company will continue operating as an online store under new management beginning January 25. Watch this space for more details.

Our inventory clearance sale continues until January 20. These are our final, best ever, never to be repeated, once in a lifetime, omg I can't believe my good luck clearance prices.

Prices are in $CAD Canadian Dollars. Free shipping within Canada and the USA on most orders over $200.
We Sell Used Cameras, Used Lenses, ? Camera Trading Company

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-21-2021 at 11:40 AM.
01-21-2021, 11:28 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got most of what I ordered last week, plus a couple cameras to put on the shelf. One is a vivitar 110 SLR, and it seems like it works, might have to see if a can track down some film and try it, along with the Pentax Auto 110 kit that I've never used. My order was missing the lens mount for the Tamron adaptall mirror lens I bought though, but I emailed them and they said they'll send the mount. Hopefully it gets here soon, I had really clear skies for moon photos on Monday. I want to compare it to my old A400 f5.6 for that kind of stuff.
Kristian
02-03-2021, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #15

I picked up a cheap package of Takumars (55mm, 135mm and 200mm) from them and also received a 'display' body. Took a little time to come but happy