Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Pentax KP - $100 off + freebies
Posted By: Adam, 01-05-2021, 04:16 PM

The KP has just dipped by $100 to the lowest price we've seen in a while! At Adorama you can also score a free FlashPoint flash valued at over $200. Great opportunity to pick up the camera if you've been on the fence:

Pentax KP Body
9% Off / $69 Below Average

Year's price range: $697 - $797
Request Price Alert | Reviews

Pentax KP Body (Silver)
10% Off / $75 Below Average

Year's price range: $697 - $797
Request Price Alert | Reviews
Views: 6,385
01-17-2021, 11:54 AM - 5 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It is a good deal in any case.
I haven't needed flash since I got my KP - I've taken all my photos with ambient light.
The nice thing with the flash unit, though, is it allows you to take different photos than those that are possible using ambient light alone... where flash is used to augment ambient light and modify the scene, rather than as the primary light source. There are a few decent examples of this here:

Flash + Ambient light - Tangents

A lot of folks think of flash only as a means of lighting a scene when insufficient ambient light exists, but it's much more than that. Having the flash included in this deal is a huge bonus if the buyer already knows about flash photography, or is willing to learn about it...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-17-2021 at 12:14 PM.
01-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The nice thing with the flash unit, though, is it allows you to take different photos than those that are possible using ambient light alone... where flash is used to augment ambient light and modify the scene, rather than as the primary light source. There are a few decent examples of this here:

Flash + Ambient light - Tangents

A lot of folks think of flash only as a means of lighting a scene when insufficient ambient light exists, but it's much more than that. Having the flash included in this deal is a huge bonus if the buyer already knows about flash photography, or is willing to learn about it...
Just to clarify, the flash is built in, I agree a flash comes in handy sometimes just to fill in shadows.
01-17-2021, 01:18 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Just to clarify, the flash is built in, I agree a flash comes in handy sometimes just to fill in shadows.
Yes - but that Adorama deal you linked to also includes a $259 "Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 TTL Round Flash Speedlight" - a very good off-camera flash unit that opens up a whole world of possibilities beyond the built-in flash. That's what makes it such a great deal, IMHO...
01-17-2021, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The deal includes the Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 TTL Round Flash Speedlight

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes - but that Adorama deal you linked to also includes a $259 "Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 TTL Round Flash Speedlight" - a very good off-camera flash unit that opens up a whole world of possibilities beyond the built-in flash. That's what makes it such a great deal, IMHO...
This is why I said this deal was fantastic and that inclusion of the flash should be included in the thread title!!!

By including the Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 TTL Round Flash Speedlight in this deal even if you don't want to learn or use an external flash you can always sell it off.

By the way, in my opinion this is the best available flash for Pentax DSLR users. This flash opens the door to the wider Godox flash system.

01-18-2021, 05:40 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Batman_ Quote
This is why I said this deal was fantastic and that inclusion of the flash should be included in the thread title!!!

By including the Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 TTL Round Flash Speedlight in this deal even if you don't want to learn or use an external flash you can always sell it off.

By the way, in my opinion this is the best available flash for Pentax DSLR users. This flash opens the door to the wider Godox flash system.
Yes you guys are right the Flashpoint is included in the deal!

https://www.adorama.com/images/Large/fplfsmzlxp.jpg
01-18-2021, 09:56 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it's worth it just to get the flash and sell the body. i mean... that's my plan

this is the only flash i've found that has a halfway decent modeling lamp in the flash head, so even with a diffuser over the flash, it's still possible to see what you're doing with the modeling lamp.
01-18-2021, 08:31 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did I just read right....? Someone is selling their body to buy a flash..... wow.... Pentaxians are committed.
01-19-2021, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i already have a k-3, k1ii, 645z... don't need another body. unless for my uses it's better than my k-3, which i doubt. it arrives today, so i'll find out in a flash. no pun intended.

01-19-2021, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
i already have a k-3, k1ii, 645z... don't need another body. unless for my uses it's better than my k-3, which i doubt. it arrives today, so i'll find out in a flash. no pun intended.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience. My own thoughts from having read about other people's experience with the KP vs. K-3 and comparing features:
K-3 has a better grip from what I can tell - but the KP isn't bad in this area.
K-3 has better battery life.
KP has much better LOW LIGHT / HIGH ISO performance.
K-3 shoots faster (more FPS)
KP focus is supposedly better including tracking.
K-3 has a more capable built in flash.
KP image quality is better - but hard to see without direct pixel peeping (other than ISO performance)

Plus dual cards vs. single etc.

I've been sorely tempted by this deal.
01-19-2021, 09:10 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Read my "One day" review of the KP. I think I did it honestly and unbiased. I compare it to the K3, K3ii, K1, K1ii, and the K-70, all of which I've owned in the last few years. That you can buy it right now, for under US$700, WITH a truly excellent off camera flash, made it a no-brainer (I almost order 2x, just to have two of the flashes, with the intent of one day selling the second KP as "new, box unopened"... it's THAT good a flash!)

Pentax KP - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

---------- Post added 01-19-21 at 10:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience. My own thoughts from having read about other people's experience with the KP vs. K-3 and comparing features:
KP image quality is better - but hard to see without direct pixel peeping (other than ISO performance)

Don't forget that the KP has a "flippy" screen, which even the soon to be released K-3iii does not have. THIS is the reason I sold my K-3 and bought the KP (besides the awesome free flash deal).
01-19-2021, 11:03 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
Read my "One day" review of the KP. I think I did it honestly and unbiased. I compare it to the K3, K3ii, K1, K1ii, and the K-70, all of which I've owned in the last few years. That you can buy it right now, for under US$700, WITH a truly excellent off camera flash, made it a no-brainer (I almost order 2x, just to have two of the flashes, with the intent of one day selling the second KP as "new, box unopened"... it's THAT good a flash!)

Don't forget that the KP has a "flippy" screen, which even the soon to be released K-3iii does not have. THIS is the reason I sold my K-3 and bought the KP (besides the awesome free flash deal).
Thank you. I read your review and found that helpful. Still not sure what to do, but your review is part of the puzzle.
01-19-2021, 11:40 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote

Don't forget that the KP has a "flippy" screen, which even the soon-to-be released K-3iii does not have. THIS is the reason I sold my K-3 and bought the KP (besides the awesome free flash deal).
Thank you. I read your review and found that helpful. Still not sure what to do, but your review is part of the puzzle.
Just to add to the confusion! PentaxForums have a compare to the K3 Mark iii Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
01-20-2021, 07:24 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience. My own thoughts from having read about other people's experience with the KP vs. K-3 and comparing features:K-3 has a better grip from what I can tell - but the KP isn't bad in this area.K-3 has better battery life.KP has much better LOW LIGHT / HIGH ISO performance.K-3 shoots faster (more FPS)KP focus is supposedly better including tracking.K-3 has a more capable built in flash.KP image quality is better - but hard to see without direct pixel peeping (other than ISO performance)Plus dual cards vs. single etc.I've been sorely tempted by this deal.
the only things i've noticed are:

feels small, but you can change grips. iso button isn't where it "should" be. on/off/shutter is small, but not a big deal. lots of the thing on your list are wasted on me.... i never use built in flash, rarely use high iso, almost never use tracking af. i took it out yesterday, but forgot to put it on raw, so wasted a few shots... and battery didn't come with much of a charge, so i'll try again today with more than just a macro lens.
01-20-2021, 04:38 PM   #29

This is tempting. For those that ordered did you also select the free accessories? When I click that at the flash goes away (I did not add it to my cart). I would rather have the flash than the accessories but if I can get both even better
01-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
This is tempting. For those that ordered did you also select the free accessories? When I click that at the flash goes away (I did not add it to my cart). I would rather have the flash than the accessories but if I can get both even better
Looks like the choices are either or but not both!