Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Takumar 100mm F2 Lens on UsedPhotoPro (Roberts Camera) $3.8k
Posted By: Snapppy, 02-04-2021, 01:31 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have never seen this lens, or even heard about it. I can't imagine it's worth what they are asking ($3.8k!!), except for those extreme collectors. Not even in great condition... I wonder how they got their hands on it. Anyone got more info on it? The lens database entry here is pretty sparse.

It's listed on eBay as well, but at $4k. They always sell cheaper on their website than eBay because they don't have to pay the eBay fees.

Used Asahi Pentax 100mm f2 Takumar Lens 100/2 M42 Mount RARE in 'Good' condition

Ebay link (usually lasts longer after a sale, in case people want the pictures of the lens)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asahi-Pentax-100mm-f2-Takumar-Lens-100-2-M42-Mount-...QAAOSwK5tgHCSL

Some people may know I am an affiliate with UsedPhotoPro with my own website/YT channel. This is NOT an affiliate link, as that would be inappropriate on this website of course. Just wanted to clear that up. I do however recommend them. I have ordered several items from them this past year. They are very good about their pictures and descriptions. Everything I've ordered came as expected. Good company.

Last edited by Snapppy; 02-04-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Views: 1,331
02-04-2021, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
. . .
Anyone got more info on it?

This is the best thread about it I've seen:
So rare there are no samples on PF.... - PentaxForums.com
02-04-2021, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone got more info on it?
1 : 2 / 100 - Takumar Field Guide

Takumar Field Guide blogger Droo (also a member here) indicates a recent eBay asking price of $9999.99 USD, though without reference. Note the bottom of the page has a reference to a paragraph from Pentax literature from the time (1965).

Steve
02-04-2021, 05:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
1 : 2 / 100 - Takumar Field Guide

Takumar Field Guide blogger Droo (also a member here) indicates a recent eBay asking price of $9999.99 USD, though without reference. Note the bottom of the page has a reference to a paragraph from Pentax literature from the time (1965).

Steve
Thank you for that. I see one on eBay now from Japan for $9k USD. It definitely seems like an inflated price because of volume on the market at any given time. I bet if 10 went up for sale all around the same time, we'd see the price drop quite a bit. Although the rarity of the lens would still drive a premium price. Interesting.

02-04-2021, 05:52 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I bet if 10 went up for sale all around the same time, we'd see the price drop quite a bit.
Good luck finding ten that might be offered for sale! Droo has only seen 29 and their high estimate is ~1,400 copies made including prototypes. The lens being offered by Roberts is realistically priced based on condition and aggressively priced based on rarity at market. I think it will move quickly.

Steve
02-04-2021, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On mflenses.com:

Takumar 100/2
02-05-2021, 01:07 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There was a time I might have bought that lens. A year of total isolation has changed me.

02-09-2021, 08:13 PM   #8

I came here to post this too as I just stumbled upon it at UPP. Insane price for an obviously extremely rare lens. I hope someone gets their hands on it and puts up some samples. I'd love to see it in action!
02-18-2021, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #9

Thank you for that. I see one on eBay now from Japan for $9k USD. It definitely seems like an inflated price because of volume on the market at any given time. I bet if 10 went up for sale all around the same time, we'd see the price drop quite a bit. Although the rarity of the lens would still drive a premium price. Interesting.
Since I live in Indy, I went to go see this lens in person. I put it on an M42 body and it felt perfect. I was definitely nervous to hold it as I revered it like it was a piece of rare Pentax history. Figured you’d want to see it too.
Attached Images

02-18-2021, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaronjamesgray Quote
Since I live in Indy, I went to go see this lens in person. I put it on an M42 body and it felt perfect. I was definitely nervous to hold it as I revered it like it was a piece of rare Pentax history. Figured you’d want to see it too.
Awesome you have them close by! Very cool you could handle it in person. Thanks for more pictures too. Very interesting lens.
02-19-2021, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #11

Awesome you have them close by! Very cool you could handle it in person. Thanks for more pictures too. Very interesting lens.
Yeah, it's quite convenient. Roberts has been my favorite store in Indy for a long time. They're seriously the best. I just wish I had the money to buy that lens. It would be absolutely frivolous but so cool to own.
02-19-2021, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aaronjamesgray Quote
Wow, very nice, that's some serious lens p0rn.