Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Super cheap FA 50mm f1.4
Posted By: Cerebum, 02-26-2021, 01:13 PM

MPB (UK) have an FA 50mm f1.4. I just bought a 50mm and can't justify this one so I want to make sure a PF member gets a great deal. 114 for an F1.4 with 6 months warranty

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/pe...-/sku-1144395/
Views: 946
02-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's some very cheap ones on MPB.com here in the US as well. They have like 5 units.
02-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MPB.com , any members good experience with them on getting preowned items?

Saw their feedback rating on eBay, seems a fair number of negative feedback.
02-26-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
I've bought 2 used lenses from them, and 2 slightly-used extra drone batteries.

The first lens came in great, huge used value, happy customer. The drone batteries have been functional and seemingly normal. All clear there too.

The second lens was a used DA* 50-135 for silly-cheap ($189), which they had listed as non-functioning AF. I was going to be happy converting it to screw drive forever (especially at that cost). But it showed up worse than listed. Arrived with no electrical communication to camera at all (aperture and focal length). The quick shift was totally jammed, and I could only manipulate the focus ring using a screwdriver in the screwdrive port when disconnected from the camera. There was also residue in focal distance window suggests potential water damage. I returned the lens and they refunded 100%, but I also suggested they modify their description if they relisted the lens. They didn't, it went back up at $189, and was sold and returned again at least once that I noticed.

I'm not sure I'd call that a bad experience, but it was at least an eyebrow-raiser. I'm sure that they deal with such a huge volume of items that they can't treat every return with kid gloves and special attention.

My recommendation would be to know what you're getting into, and put any used gear through its paces with high scrutiny in their 7-day return window. For something relatively bullet-proof like a FA 50, as long as you can test for de-centering, verify AF fine tuning is within adjustment range, and check against haze or fungus, they'll probably be great.

02-26-2021, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #5
Imp
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Cerebrum! Snagged one : )
02-27-2021, 12:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote

Saw their feedback rating on eBay, seems a fair number of negative feedback.
I got my 15mm limited from them, I am very happy

---------- Post added 02-27-21 at 12:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Thanks Cerebrum! Snagged one : )
WOOHOO! Excellent
02-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I got my DA 70 Limited from them, and a grip for my K-3. Great deals. No issues.

But they are not great with their listing descriptions, that I will agree with. They have 2 HD 18-50mm lenses listed, but if you look at the pictures, it's the SMC version. I emailed them about it and they said yeah, it's wrong in the listing, they'll fix it - but that was a week and a half ago and they still haven't fixed it.

On the positive side, they do have actual pictures of the items, so I don't think they're worst than other used camera equipment stores. Adorama, BHPhoto and KEH can't even bother to put actual pictures of the items they are selling, though I have had good experiences with the first two as well.

Also, the MPB prices are usually very good and in some cases, outright bargains. So I naturally tend to look them up

As long as there's a return policy I think a retailer is ok...
03-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #8
Imp
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got mine from MPB, it was in great condition and came with a hard leather case! Sony front cap though