Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Flashpoint R2 Mark II Trigger (X2T-P) [Adorama] - $29.99 + Ship
Posted By: sprint113, 05-07-2021, 08:39 AM

Same as the Godox X2T-P, just under Adorama's Flashpoint brand. Should work with both Godox X and Flashpoint R2 flashes/strobes. Listed retail for $59.99.

https://www.adorama.com/fprrr2tpii.html?

Since Cactus' presumed demise, I believe this is probably the remaining option for a TTL radio trigger for Pentax cameras.
Views: 2,908
05-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bestcoast Quote
Plus duty and brokerage fees

Too bad, I would really like one to use with my Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X.
Ouch, must be hard looking at US prices. Has always been like that (duty and fees)?

05-13-2021, 07:52 PM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Being able to put lights into HSS mode manually can be useful for some purposes, but this option does not help with allowing non-Pentax dedicated radio triggers to be used for HSS.
Yep, Class A is correct. This trick will only work for the P(entax) version of the Godox triggers.

I hope I haven't accidentally mislead anyone.
05-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I got the trigger from Adorama today. And the $49 Flashpoint mini from ebay on monday. They work great together, including HSS. Haven't done too much testing yet.
One odd thing is that the trigger has 32 possible radio channels, but the flash only offers 16 channels. Not sure if it's a limitation of the flash or it is running old firmware.
Anyway, works fine on channel 1, so not an issue.

I also have a Shanny SN600FGZ flash. It's a different brand so I don't expect radio / TTL mode to work with the trigger.

However, I think the Shanny should work as optical slave or master with the Flashpoint mini. I just couldn't get that combo to work, with one flash on camera and the other off-camera. Tried reversing the positions, but to no avail. They had a clear line of sight. Off-camera flash was set to full power, but didn't fire. I tried S1 and S2 mode - no luck. With or without red-eye (pre-flash) on the camera. No difference. I'm sure I am doing something wrong. I never had more than one flash at a time. The Shanny flash documentation is very sparse (1 page) whereas the Flashpoint is a real manual.
05-20-2021, 06:03 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bestcoast Quote
The shipping estimate to Canada is $31
Same observation here.

It's cheaper to purchase one at regular price in Canada. 79$ CAD is better than $60 USD, with no local warranty and possible customs fees.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Well, with the discount it's like getting free shipping. And it's worth it.
See above. I use the X2T-S version of that trigger and like it, but for canadians this is not a "deal"...

05-20-2021, 09:11 AM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
However, I think the Shanny should work as optical slave or master with the Flashpoint mini.
I am pretty sure that the Mini does not do optical wireless P-TTL, either master or slave. The Mini should be able to trigger the Shanny as manual optical slave. It is also able to act as radio wireless master for other Godox devices.

Steve
05-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #36
Pentaxian

However, I think the Shanny should work as optical slave or master with the Flashpoint mini.
The Flashpoint mini is a rebrand of the Godox TT350. Godox flashes support the TTL protocol of whatever brand you choose (Pentax, Sony, Fuji, etc). However, Godox flashes support Godox's radio protocols, but not wireless TTL based on OEM protocols (so no wireless PTTL for instance). I had a look at my TT350 and I don't think it can be a manual optical slave, but it can certainly serve as a master in M mode (or in TTL mode but it will mess up the exposure if you include a manual flash in the scene).
05-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I had a look at my TT350 and I don't think it can be a manual optical slave
Without the Flashpoint Mini in hand, it is hard to say, but the feature list at Adorama lists both "Regular S1 and Intelligent S2 Optical Slave Modes" in their listing. Perhaps that is a point of departure for the Flashpoint version?

https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmminip.html?

Addendum: B&H says similar, "Optical slave mode is available for working with other standard flashes". Also, page 34 in the TT350P manual.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434814-REG/godox_tt350p_ttl_compact_camera_flash.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-20-2021 at 03:23 PM.
05-21-2021, 05:23 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
feature list at Adorama lists both "Regular S1 and Intelligent S2 Optical Slave Modes" in their listing. Perhaps that is a point of departure for the Flashpoint version?
B&H says similar, "Optical slave mode is available for working with other standard flashes".
Yep, that's what I said, manual optical slave is there, as well as TTL with Godox's radio protocol, but no wireless optical PTTL.
05-21-2021, 08:04 AM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Yep, that's what I said, manual optical slave is there, as well as TTL with Godox's radio protocol, but no wireless optical PTTL.
OK...I thought you said you didn't think your TT350s could operate as a manual optical slave, but could definitely operate as a master in manual mode. Glad to have that cleared up!

Steve
05-21-2021, 07:05 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I am pretty sure that the Mini does not do optical wireless P-TTL, either master or slave. The Mini should be able to trigger the Shanny as manual optical slave. It is also able to act as radio wireless master for other Godox devices.

Steve
Yes, you are right. The Mini is only manual when optical slave, not P-TTL.
I was able to get the Shanny and Flashpoint mini to work together as optical slaves & master in either combination finally. Not sure what I was doing wrong earlier.

Actually, with the Flashpoint trigger on the camera, I can do P-TTL with the Flashpoint Mini. And the Flashpoint mini can trigger the Shanny flash setup as slave, of course manual mode only. And the AF assist light only the trigger works fine, too.

Now I just have to start figuring out what subjects to use flash for My cats don't seem to mind it, interestingly.

---------- Post added 05-21-21 at 07:11 PM ----------

Without the Flashpoint Mini in hand, it is hard to say, but the feature list at Adorama lists both "Regular S1 and Intelligent S2 Optical Slave Modes" in their listing. Perhaps that is a point of departure for the Flashpoint version?

https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmminip.html?

Addendum: B&H says similar, "Optical slave mode is available for working with other standard flashes". Also, page 34 in the TT350P manual.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434814-REG/godox_tt350p_ttl_compact_...981&

Steve
It's the same flash. The manual is nearly identical for both.

Not really sure how one would use the S2 mode. How do you get the camera to send a pre-flash ?
No idea how to setup second curtain also. Is there any doc on how to do either of that with a K-1 II ?
05-21-2021, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not really sure how one would use the S2 mode. How do you get the camera to send a pre-flash ?
If your Shanny is able to do P-TTL, put it on the KP in P-TTL mode with drive mode set to 2s delay. The pre-flash will fire on shutter release with the main flash firing at 2 seconds. Of course, it usually does so with very little delay. The same should work with your TT350p.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-22-2021 at 11:36 AM.
05-22-2021, 05:25 PM   #42
Veteran Member

If your Shanny is able to do P-TTL, put it on the KP in P-TTL mode with drive mode set to 2s delay. The pre-flash will fire on shutter release with the main flash firing at 2 seconds. Of course, it usually does so with very little delay. The same should work with your TT350p.

Steve
Thanks. I am using the K-1 II, not K-P.

I tried with the Shanny on the body, and using drive mode with 2 second delay. Flashpoint mini was set as S2 slave in M mode with 1/16 power.
The Shanny gave a preflash at focus time, then full flash when shooting the picture. But the Flashpoint didn't fire either time. Odd
When I switched the Flashpoint to S1 mode, it fired both for the pre-flash and exposure flash.

I reversed the flashes. Set Flashpoint mini on P-TTL, and Shanny as S2. Again the Shanny didn't fire during either preflash or exposure flash. It did fire both times in S1 mode. Seems there is some sort of timing issue. Not really sure what the problem is. These are the only 2 flashes I have access to.

What about second curtain mode ? With both flashes, it seems that's supported only when the flash is in P-TTL mode and attached to the body, not in optical slave mode. I tried to shoot with second curtain sync set in the Flashpoint mini, and noticed zero difference in the image vs not setting second curtain. Same with the Shanny.

When using the X2T-P trigger, there are only two possible options - first curtain and HSS. No second curtain option that I could find. Not sure if it's a limitation of that trigger.
05-22-2021, 11:24 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The Shanny gave a preflash at focus time, then full flash when shooting the picture. But the Flashpoint didn't fire either time. Odd
When I switched the Flashpoint to S1 mode, it fired both for the pre-flash and exposure flash.
That is expected. The setup is just to allow you to see the preflash.

Now do it without the 2s delay and with the slave in S2 mode. The slave should fire with the main flash with the master, though only the master will do P-TTL.

When using the X2T-P trigger, there are only two possible options - first curtain and HSS. No second curtain option that I could find. Not sure if it's a limitation of that trigger.
You got me. You can try setting the TT350p for trailing curtain sync and make it a TTL slave of the X2T-P (K-1ii with shutter speed below 1/90s) and see if it works.

Steve
05-23-2021, 04:11 AM   #44
Veteran Member

That is expected. The setup is just to allow you to see the preflash.

Now do it without the 2s delay and with the slave in S2 mode. The slave should fire with the main flash with the master, though only the master will do P-TTL.
Thanks ! That works. But I'm even more confused now.

I thought the point of S2 mode was so that the slave flash would only fire every other time - not for the pre-flash, but only for exposure flash, to save flash power.
Isn't it ? Maybe the 2 second delay is interfering with S2 mode on the slave flash.

I guess there is actually a pre-flash sent from the mounted P-TTL flash even when using normal drive mode, but it's invisible to me.
That would explain why the slave flash fires in S2 mode without the 2 second delay on the master flash, but won't fire with the delay.

I still can't detect any difference in the image whether the optical slave flash is in S1, S1 2nd curtain, S2 or S2 2nd curtain, when the main mounted flash is P-TTL.
The Shanny was mounted on my camera. I used 1/40 as the shutter speed. Slave flash was the TT350P set to 1/16 power.

QuoteQuote:
You got me. You can try setting the TT350p for trailing curtain sync and make it a TTL slave of the X2T-P (K-1ii with shutter speed below 1/90s) and see if it works.
I assume you mean set up the TT350P as radio TTL slave. I did. Only front curtain or HSS options are available. This is true for both for the trigger and for the flash.
On the TT350P, rear curtain appears to be available only in optical slave mode, or when mounted on top of the camera (P-TTL).

---------- Post added 05-23-21 at 04:33 AM ----------

Looks like my Flashpoint Mini is in a hosed state. In TTL mode, it shows "TTL M 14mm zoom". It's stuck on 14mm regardless of the lens I have attached, and doesn't change when zooming in or out with a zoom lens. I can't find a factory reset procedure for this flash.
Firmware is at version 1.1 . There is apparently a version 1.2 available on the Godox site. Just not sure it is cross-compatible with the Flashpoint mini. And the firmware 1.2 version resolves a different problem related to wireless, anyway. With my Shanny mounted instead, the mm change on its display when zooming in or out. So I don't think it's the camera. Sigh.
Edit: looks like pulling out the diffuser forces the flash to 14mm. I hadn't pushed it back in all the way. Now it's back in auto mode. Still wish I could factory reset it, though.

Last edited by madbrain; 05-23-2021 at 04:44 AM.
05-24-2021, 06:26 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I thought the point of S2 mode was so that the slave flash would only fire every other time...
The scheme is not as simple.

Pre-flash suppression looks for a pattern of (multiple) pre-flash pulses and then for a main flash. Only if the latter arrives after the pre-flash prelude, the flash will fire.

I guess there is actually a pre-flash sent from the mounted P-TTL flash even when using normal drive mode, but it's invisible to me.
Yes, if you observe closely, you'll notice that a pre-flash+main-flash combo takes longer and has a slight "double"-flash nature to it, compared to a single main flash.

I still can't detect any difference in the image whether the optical slave flash is in S1, S1 2nd curtain, S2 or S2 2nd curtain, when the main mounted flash is P-TTL.
That is odd.
One reason could be that the slave flash always fires upon receiving the pre-flash and then does not have time to recycle in time for the main flash. The S2 setting should avoid this, but perhaps something is not quite right with the implementation.

You could try very low power levels, to rule out this scenario.

There is apparently a version 1.2 available on the Godox site. Just not sure it is cross-compatible with the Flashpoint mini.
As long as it is the equivalent device by Godox, the firmwares are 100% the same.
Flashpoint don't make their own firmwares, except for their Flashpoint-exclusive products like the Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII, for instance.