Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dedicated lens hood of the DA 55-300
Posted By: RKKS08, 06-02-2021, 11:30 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

On German eBay there is an offer for a clone (?) of the Pentax PH-RGB 58mm, which they say is dedicated for the DA 55-300mm. The lens hood is Hongkong made, but sent from a location within Germany. Price including shipping would be about $ 5.-
They have just a view items on stock, so probably someone imported a couple of them to sell them locally.

PH-RBG 58mm Gegenlichtblende Schwarz für Pentax SMC-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED | eBay

My question is now: would the hood also fit to the FA 100-300 (there was never a dedicated Pentax for this lens). The FA has also a 58mm filter thread (but probably the DA offers a bayonet for the shade?).
Anyone who has the DA and the FA and has tried to use the DA hood on the FA?
Views: 574
06-02-2021, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote

My question is now: would the hood also fit to the FA 100-300 (there was never a dedicated Pentax for this lens). The FA has also a 58mm filter thread (but probably the DA offers a bayonet for the shade?).
The dedicated hood for both versions of the FA 100-300 is RH-A58, according to the Forums reviews. Further research shows it is a screw on rubber hood.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 06-02-2021 at 01:46 PM.
06-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The PH-RBG attaches to bayonet lugs on the DA 55-300mm. The FA 100-300 does not have those bayonet lugs.

For my FA 100-300 f/4.7-5.8, I adapted a cheap copy of the PH-RBG to work with the lug ring from a Matin "reversible" lens hood. The Matin hood came in two parts: a ring to screw into the filter threads of the lens, and the hood, which could lock onto the bayonet lugs on the ring in either forward or reverse position. The bayonet lugs just happened to be the same diameter as the PH-RBG. The only change I had to make to the PH-RBG was gluing a couple tiny pieces of plastic to the bayonet socket so that it would lock in place. Unfortunately, the Matin hoods seem to be unavailable now. There are a number of cheap "reversible petal" lens hoods available on eBay, that use a similar two-part design. I don't know whether the lug rings from those hoods would work with the PH-RBG.
06-02-2021, 08:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
On German eBay there is an offer for a clone (?) of the Pentax PH-RGB 58mm, which they say is dedicated for the DA 55-300mm. The lens hood is Hongkong made, but sent from a location within Germany. Price including shipping would be about $ 5.-
They have just a view items on stock, so probably someone imported a couple of them to sell them locally.

PH-RBG 58mm Gegenlichtblende Schwarz für Pentax SMC-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED | eBay

I have both lenses and both hoods.
DA hood is reversible and bayonet type.
The FA is screw in type and not reversible.
So they are not interchangeable.
You can get a "copy" of rubber collapsible 58mm hood for FA , there are hundreds available on eBay, and cheap.
The Chinese copy of PH-RGB is well made and cheap.