Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sigma 500 4.5 on eBay x2
Posted By: wadge22, 07-16-2021, 09:17 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Not just one but two separate listings for Sigma APO 500mm 4.5 in K mount listed on eBay with buy it now prices of $5000. Two different sellers, two different lenses with close serials. Both look to be unused open box old stock, with Japanese sellers. I don't know anything about the items or the sellers.
Those are rare lenses, and these ones seem to be in great shape.

First one

Second one
Views: 772
07-16-2021, 09:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone who has been looking to get this lens, guess this is the chance.

Or hold out till the seller moderate the price somewhat.
07-16-2021, 10:00 PM   #3
maw
Pentaxian

Hi wadge22,

I found two model (I think) and some reviews and photos taken with the Sigma, it is a beautiful beast. I hope they can help you.

Look here No APO: Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX DG HSM : Specifications and Opinions | JuzaPhoto

Sigma 500mm f/4.5 AF APO (1988 version): Sigma 500mm f/4.5 AF APO (1988 version) : Specifications and Opinions | JuzaPhoto
07-17-2021, 03:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I found one on an independent platform earlier this month for $3k like new and decided against it. Out of service, overpriced in K mount, not weather sealed… not Pentax.

07-17-2021, 03:11 AM   #5

Yikes $5k!
07-17-2021, 05:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's only worth that amount if someone pays that amount.
07-17-2021, 07:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Out of service, overpriced in K mount, not weather sealed… not Pentax.
Then again... tripod mount located appropriately centered near center-of-mass, designed intentionally as a pure FF lens, doesn't repeatedly use the same failure-prone (failure-promised) SDM focusing motor in all its lenses of that era, doesn't risk separating and totally falling apart when you take it out of the bag.

So DEFINITELY not a Pentax telephoto!

07-17-2021, 07:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
Then again... tripod mount located appropriately centered near center-of-mass, designed intentionally as a pure FF lens, doesn't repeatedly use the same failure-prone (failure-promised) SDM focusing motor in all its lenses of that era, doesn't risk separating and totally falling apart when you take it out of the bag.

So DEFINITELY not a Pentax telephoto!

This is hilarious.

And hilariously serious
07-17-2021, 08:31 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

they do accept offers

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
It's only worth that amount if someone pays that amount.
I purchased number of photographic gear items from Japan and never paid listed price.
The acceptance can go up to 50% off.
07-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I purchased number of photographic gear items from Japan and never paid listed price.
The acceptance can go up to 50% off.
Great tip! If someone purchases the first at a lesser price, would you let the rest of us know what they accepted?
07-17-2021, 10:22 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
Great tip! If someone purchases the first at a lesser price, would you let the rest of us know what they accepted?
I do not monitor that auction.
I am not sure if that is possible as usually it just states that item not longer available / ENDED / out of stock and "Best Offer accepted".
I just looked at my last won eBay auction ( from Japan ) and I can see the note "Sold for" ( that obviously not include AU duties/GST taxes and postage ) , not sure if that is visibly to everyone else.
I mapped both auctions into my watch list , now we just need to wait.
i might take very long time , there might be no offers submitted.
There might be other possible option , do search for sold items
07-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I do not monitor that auction.s
Oh whoops, I was a bit short writing that reply and didn't get my full intention out. Sorry if that read like it was a request directed specifically to you.

I meant if the purchaser is here on PF, would the purchaser let us know what they accepted.
07-29-2021, 04:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I guarantee you, they will only take about $90.00 or so off. They won't discount one of these very much at all.
These are NEW lenses, and are approximately the price they were to buy new from a store when you could. In Australia, I remember they were between $6500 and $7200AU in stores. at the current price they are both about $6800AU which is correct for them.

Yes, there are much cheaper ones out there for Canikion ect, but they are also heavily used, so their price reflects that and thefact that there are so so many of them out there.

I managed to get a MINT version of this lens earlier this year, for a good price, I was actually unused, not a mark on it, no scratches or wear marks on the mount, never been mounted on a tripod. It just didn't have the box,lens case or CPL filter with it, so it's price reflected that, and it was a real saving I can tell you.

It's definitely a great choice for Pentax people that want a good solid super telephoto , FF and works perfectly with the Sigma 1.4xTC all on FF. It's excellent handheld, and produces excellent images.