Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 180mm f/2.5 IF - 63B
Posted By: luftfluss, 01-06-2022, 03:49 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Tamron SP 180mm Lens F2.5LD (IF) | eBay

Saw the lens on the big auction site. I have no knowledge of the seller, but I do own a Tamron 180/2.5 and IMO it is a superb lens. Assuming the lens operates properly - and it looks barely used - it would be a good deal at twice the current price.
Views: 704
01-06-2022, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree - I have a 63B also and it is just a stupifyingly good lens....
01-06-2022, 07:03 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

one thing to take note though.

This set cannot be considered a "full box set".

The box indicates is a "35th anniv" edition.
But the lens is a non-35th anniv copy.

But oh well.
At least it has the pouch.
01-07-2022, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always like to see at least one image of the actual glass, preferably 4, 5, 8 images of the glass. These estate sale places do know what they're doing. One cleared out a house of a friend of mine. They knew exactly what to check and point out on SLR lenses.

Maybe it's perfect and almost unused. Well, show it. They know the lens cap comes off.
Edit: They have another Tamron listed, a Tamron 159A 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 CF, and show the front glass on that listing.

01-07-2022, 06:25 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I always like to see at least one image of the actual glass, preferably 4, 5, 8 images of the glass. These estate sale places do know what they're doing. One cleared out a house of a friend of mine. They knew exactly what to check and point out on SLR lenses.

Maybe it's perfect and almost unused. Well, show it. They know the lens cap comes off.
Edit: They have another Tamron listed, a Tamron 159A 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 CF, and show the front glass on that listing.
I looked at this listing and the sellers other camera gear. I believe they are hiding something, they left that lens cap on for a reason.
I got an unpleasant surprise from a recent eBay seller “Estate Sale” find which showed every angle of the lens except directly at the bare front element. I had to return it, at my expense. The group directly behind the front element was badly hazed.
If I were in a financial position to buy the listed SP180, I would ask for more photos and a better description.
01-07-2022, 08:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Huh, I've never had a problem returning stuff from ebay except that time I followed a seller's plea to contact them directly rather than open a case via ebay. Never again for that.

I'll contact the seller and see it they are willing to provide photos of the front.
01-07-2022, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Listing indicates "Seller does not accept returns", so you would have to argue the item was not as described. eBay usually supports the buyer, so likely it would not be a big problem getting a refund. I would certainly ask for additional photos first, to avoid any hassle down the road.

01-07-2022, 01:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The seller has now posted an image of the front element.
01-08-2022, 03:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The seller has now posted an image of the front element.
Thanks for the update, as I likely would not have gone back to look otherwise. From what we can see of those two images, the front element does appear very clean. Now for the internal ones.

I've had various issues with sellers on that auction site. It seems more often than not, unclear photos are that way for a reason. Maybe this was simply an oversight for uploading all their photos, or maybe they responded to questions from bidders.

It does strike me that the presence of the clear plastic rear lens cover (which is almost always missing on Adaptall lenses) is a sign that the owner used good care for the lens while alive. I'm not currently considering spending the $500 or so that these seem to go for, but it is a very intriguing lens. I hope it doesn't cross my mind enough that I start scraping around for more money...
01-10-2022, 02:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It went for a more than reasonable $348.37. Only 6 bidders.