Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
Lensbaby Refurbished sale
Posted By: bladerunner6, 01-14-2022, 05:20 AM

https://lensbaby.com/collections/refurbished-collection?_kx=kpFzFdw7qRGy0mDU...yUIc%3D.Kpeafm

There are various K-Mount lenses available.
Views: 892
01-14-2022, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never understood the appeal. Maybe I’m just not paying attention. Are there good examples of images using these tools that I can browse? Do we have a dedicated thread?
01-14-2022, 07:01 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not to everyone's taste. Keep in mind that there is a range of lenses with different effects.

Lens Baby Club
01-14-2022, 03:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have never understood the appeal. Maybe I’m just not paying attention. Are there good examples of images using these tools that I can browse? Do we have a dedicated thread?
We do have a thread, of course!
  1. I certainly don't think they are worth paying full-price. That's why this refurb sale is nice. Most have a B-grade build quality, similar to the DA 35mm ƒ/2.4 or DA 50mm ƒ/1.8. Single coated optics, so on par with many Soviet M42 classics, but not up to modern standards.
  2. I get the argument that a lot of these effects could be simulated later in Photoshop/Affinity Photo. However, seeing the effect rendered in real time through the glass can be helpful for inspiring shots.
  3. Many (not all!) Lensbaby products use the "Optic Swap System," in which case buying just one model in K-mount allows a Pentaxian to click in other Lensbaby optics to the outer mounting. I own the Twist-60 K-mount version, and I've been looking at used Canon/Nikon Lensbaby products on eBay. For many users, the novelty wears off, so there are plenty on offer second-hand.

Last edited by PocketPixels; 01-14-2022 at 03:42 PM. Reason: many Soviet optics had 1x lens coating
01-22-2022, 06:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am interested in a tilt shift lens, likely for outdoor use, maybe environmental portraits, which Lensbaby would anyone recommend?
01-22-2022, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I am interested in a tilt shift lens, likely for outdoor use, maybe environmental portraits, which Lensbaby would anyone recommend?
Get a Composer Pro which is simply a "shell" for a Lensbaby Optic. From there add something like an Edge 50 or Edge 80 optic, maybe even a Twist 60.
01-22-2022, 05:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I don't know of a Lensbaby lens with shift. Most of them have tilt, and pretty much all of them have some kind of soft focus and/or interesting bokeh effect.

01-22-2022, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

https://lensbaby.com/blogs/creative-photography/tilt-shift-effect
01-23-2022, 09:17 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Since you got me thinking I spent a couple of hours this morning with some of my Lensbaby stuff, the Twist 60, Sweet 35, and Velvet 56, including a few tilt/shift images. Last evening I toyed with the single lens and some creative aperture inserts. I'll get a few images posted later today, early if the Buccaneers aren't looking too good, late if they are.
01-23-2022, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

It may be another day before I get images posted. We had friends show up unexpectedly and they've just now left. Not a good evening to be a Bucs fan either.
01-24-2022, 06:56 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I reviewed their Burnside some years ago, and really liked the creative possibilities:

Lensbaby Burnside 35mm F2.8 Review Posted - Review Announcements | PentaxForums.com
01-25-2022, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Finally posted a number of images from several different Lensbaby products
Lens Baby Club - Page 47 - PentaxForums.com