Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Pentax K-3III Trade Up Deal
Posted By: ramseybuckeye, 01-14-2022, 02:17 PM

I got this email today from Ricoh imaging about a trade up deal through selected dealers, it included an additional $200 over your trade in and a battery grip. If you're ready to buy and have an old camera to get rid of, this sounds like a good deal.
Views: 997
01-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh Imaging Canada is also offering the trade-up incentive. Up to CAD $250, plus the bonus battery grip. Current price for the body only in Canada is CAD $2400-2500.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Trade-up-to-a-K-3-Ma...am_EN_2022.pdf

- Craig
01-14-2022, 03:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
$300 "value" for the free battery grip.

Not only do I see that commonly offered free with Pentax bodies, but I seriously question how they can justifiably price it so high as a stand alone purchase. I think they do it just to make it seem like you are getting a better deal on the bundles.

The $200 additional trade is nice, though. Anyone have a ballpark on what the regular trade in is on an excellent condition K3 mkII is?
01-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Also available in the US through authorized dealers.
https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/pentax-k-3-mark-iii-trade-up-program/?mc_cid=71...eid=b6290e571b

01-14-2022, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote

Not only do I see that commonly offered free with Pentax bodies, but I seriously question how they can justifiably price it so high as a stand alone purchase. I think they do it just to make it seem like you are getting a better deal on the bundles.

The $200 additional trade is nice, though. Anyone have a ballpark on what the regular trade in is on an excellent condition K3 mkII is?
Just got a quote for my K3ll with caps, battery, charger, & strap. Excellent condition-under 15,000 shutter count. $ 330. Still not worth it.
01-14-2022, 06:17 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

my K-3, with battery & charger, rated $189 at KEH.com, to give you some idea of the values being given for old DSLR's.....
01-14-2022, 07:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They should be giving a better deal to trade up to an obsolete camera system.

01-14-2022, 08:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dmjjr Quote
Just got a quote for my K3ll with caps, battery, charger, & strap. Excellent condition-under 15,000 shutter count. $ 330. Still not worth it.
Ouch. I know not to expect top dollar on a trade in, but that's almost insulting. Guessing it's worth about $600 on the private market.
01-14-2022, 08:33 PM - 4 Likes   #9

I have been a loyal Pentax customer for 30 years-started with the 35mm Super Program-great camera. When digital started I dabbled in the market with Toshiba, Olympus, &
Casio QV 400. Bought an Ist DS (which I still have) then K10D, K20D, K5lls (2 of them) finally the K3ll. I don't want to list all the Pentax lenses I own-way too many. About 2 years ago I started bird and wildlife photography-so I bought the 55-300 PLM and was fairly satisfied with the quick focus. Really disappointed in the telephoto lens options-which are limited and way over priced. So I started looking at Nikon equipment-almost felt like I was cheating on my wife-been so loyal to Pentax. Two weeks ago I bought a refurbished Nikon D500 (with a 1 Yr warranty) for $1200. Also a Tamron 100-400 zoom for $535. I was really surprised to see the difference in fast focusing and IQ. You can't tell me that Pentax/Ricoh engineers can't figure this out. If I bought K3lll and a 150-450 I would be plunking down 4k. That will never happen and it still wouldn't perform as good as the D500. There is also a huge used lens market for Nikon/Canon-the independent lens makers i.e. Tamron/Sigma have basically given up on Pentax. I will never give up on Pentax-that's where I learned photography-but I will still explore other options as long as I can. (I'm 75 yrs old and starting to slow down)
01-14-2022, 08:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dmjjr Quote
I have been a loyal Pentax customer for 30 years-started with the 35mm Super Program-great camera. When digital started I dabbled in the market with Toshiba, Olympus, &
Casio QV 400. Bought an Ist DS (which I still have) then K10D, K20D, K5lls (2 of them) finally the K3ll. I don't want to list all the Pentax lenses I own-way too many. About 2 years ago I started bird and wildlife photography-so I bought the 55-300 PLM and was fairly satisfied with the quick focus. Really disappointed in the telephoto lens options-which are limited and way over priced. So I started looking at Nikon equipment-almost felt like I was cheating on my wife-been so loyal to Pentax. Two weeks ago I bought a refurbished Nikon D500 (with a 1 Yr warranty) for $1200. Also a Tamron 100-400 zoom for $535. I was really surprised to see the difference in fast focusing and IQ. You can't tell me that Pentax/Ricoh engineers can't figure this out. If I bought K3lll and a 150-450 I would be plunking down 4k. That will never happen and it still wouldn't perform as good as the D500. There is also a huge used lens market for Nikon/Canon-the independent lens makers i.e. Tamron/Sigma have basically given up on Pentax. I will never give up on Pentax-that's where I learned photography-but I will still explore other options as long as I can. (I'm 75 yrs old and starting to slow down)
Pentax is very small compared to other camera brands and has limited resources. Wildlife has never been a major priority for Pentax since the world went digital, so I wouldn't count on them releasing any affordable long telephoto lenses. It's not that "Pentax/Ricoh engineers can't figure this out", it's that Pentax's meager resources are best allocated elsewhere (apparently).

Several years ago, when I came to something of a tipping point about long telephoto and Pentax, I went a different route - I learned how to use manual focus long tele lenses. It's worked out pretty well for me, but if I ever decided to go all-in on a modern system for wildlife photography, it most likely wouldn't be Pentax.
01-15-2022, 07:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeesh.
Someone points out a deal on a camera body in the price watch forum, and it quickly turns into a thread about how the brand new cutting edge camera is obsolete, and (as has already been covered elsewhere ad nauseum) there are no new high end supertelephoto lenses for the system?
Is this the section of the forum to discuss those things? Really?

Trade-ins are rarely a great deal. Selling it yourself separately almost always makes more money sense, but some people don't like dealing with buyers.
'Actual values' quoted in ads for sales are always bogus.
None of this is new or comment-worthy, IMO.

------

Not sure how this deal is structured, but if I could get a confirmed $200 (or is it an extra $200 above their quote? nobody's got much fine print anywhere I could find) for my K01 without the hassle of selling it, that would be a very attractive option if I were trying to buy K3iii.
Thanks for the heads up on the deal, @ramseybuckeye
01-15-2022, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

I texted Camera Canada last night. They don't want my camera but they'll give me the $250 CAD rebate, so if I want I could sell it myself.

They said the program has ben really popular, whatever that means. There is almost no chance I was going to buy the camera anyway, even if I got the price down to around y $2000 limit, the tax was still going to make the final cost $260 over that. I would have thought it was a great deal if I though I needed a camera, but, Im just exploring my options and this one sounded promising.

QuoteQuote:
That will never happen and it still wouldn't perform as good as the D500.
One of the reviews was done buy a guy who regularly shoots a D500. He said it's just as good as a D500, and he didn't use astro-tracer, Pixel shift, or take advantage of IBIS. He actually said he really liked the camera, but not enough to go through a system switch. He said there wasn't enough to inspire a switch, but for Pentax users it was a no brainer. So who am I going to believe, a paid reviewer who's shot with both cameras, or some guy on the internet?

The big question in my mind is how the does someone actually form an opinion like that. The psychology of denial has always fascinated me.

After the rebates the K-3iii is almost the same price as a D500. Anyone who owns Pentax lenses would be a fool to pass on this, if they need a camera. And compared to swapping systems? Insane.

I almost pulled the trigger anyway... but seriously, I do so well with my K-3 I'm having trouble imagining paying for an upgrade. Even at this price.

The negativity here is enough to drive people away. Time for a break.

Last edited by normhead; 01-15-2022 at 08:03 AM.
01-15-2022, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
my K-3, with battery & charger, rated $189 at KEH.com, to give you some idea of the values being given for old DSLR's.....
KEH pays pennies on the dollar, it's how they make a profit. If you've ever been to a KEH buying event, people come loaded up with gear, I'm guessing they have just either quit using it or inherited it. They are happy to get a couple hundred bucks for grandpa's toys. You can get rid of stuff that would just be too much work to sell.
01-15-2022, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #14
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
KEH pays pennies on the dollar, it's how they make a profit. If you've ever been to a KEH buying event, people come loaded up with gear, I'm guessing they have just either quit using it or inherited it. They are happy to get a couple hundred bucks for grandpa's toys. You can get rid of stuff that would just be too much work to sell.

agreed - I was just using a quick estimate from KEH to show how much a 1st-generation K-3 would be worth for the Trade-Up....
01-15-2022, 01:08 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote

As a point of comparison, the battery grip for the Fuji X-T4 is currently $329 at B&H.

I'm a grip guy - I always need to get a grip - so for me a freebie is a big deal.