Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
France: Pentax-A 16mm Fisheye
Posted By: VictorDA, 05-17-2023, 04:28 AM

280€, private seller on leboncoin (no affiliation): https://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/2349445331.htm
The item has been posted for weeks, the price is decreasing regularly. Now starting to be very tempting to try it on a K-1
The is no official option for international purchase on this platform but there is the possibility to freely contact the seller and explore arrangements.
Views: 695
05-17-2023, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VictorDA Quote
280€, private seller on leboncoin (no affiliation): https://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/2349445331.htm
The item has been posted for weeks, the price is decreasing regularly. Now starting to be very tempting to try it on a K-1
The is no official option for international purchase on this platform but there is the possibility to freely contact the seller and explore arrangements.
Unfortunately, the rear gel filters holder is missing.
05-17-2023, 10:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh, I thought this lens was only designed to use the built in filters?
05-18-2023, 12:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VictorDA Quote
Oh, I thought this lens was only designed to use the built in filters?
The lens has built in glass filters but also a hinged metal flap at the rear where a gel filter can be inserted. The above poster is indeed correct that the metal hinged flap is missing.

05-18-2023, 07:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The lens has built in glass filters but also a hinged metal flap at the rear where a gel filter can be inserted. The above poster is indeed correct that the metal hinged flap is missing.
I had the casual thought I could add a polarizing gel to the rear of it and researched them last night, but on reflection (!) there wouldn't be any easy or convenient way to rotate it, so that idea is out. No idea what gels would be truly useful, tho perhaps a red for B&W might work? I have boatloads of gels so it won't cost anything to check.
05-18-2023, 07:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
but on reflection (!)

05-18-2023, 10:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I had the casual thought I could add a polarizing gel to the rear of it and researched them last night, but on reflection (!) there wouldn't be any easy or convenient way to rotate it, so that idea is out. No idea what gels would be truly useful, tho perhaps a red for B&W might work? I have boatloads of gels so it won't cost anything to check.
I was looking at this lot few months ago. I was thinking about a set of polarizer filters, cut with some 15°-20° steps of orientation, so it will be easy to pick and insert the right one. Plus, I was considering going infrared, where some Lee filters are quite useful.

Bought a 150-450 instead

05-18-2023, 10:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoundFrog Quote
I was looking at this lot few months ago. I was thinking about a set of polarizer filters, cut with some 15°-20° steps of orientation, so it will be easy to pick and insert the right one. Plus, I was considering going infrared, where some Lee filters are quite useful.

Bought a 150-450 instead
I won't have the lens in hand until tomorrow, but from the video I watched it's not a quick and simple thing to do. a little wiggle here, then a little wiggle on the other side, etc, pushing a piece of colored cellophane. I certainly wouldn't attempt swapping them around outdoors since it requires the lens be dismounted.
05-18-2023, 11:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, not so good deal then. Thanks for the insights!
05-18-2023, 01:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I won't have the lens in hand until tomorrow, but from the video I watched it's not a quick and simple thing to do. a little wiggle here, then a little wiggle on the other side, etc, pushing a piece of colored cellophane. I certainly wouldn't attempt swapping them around outdoors since it requires the lens be dismounted.
not a quick and simple thing to do

No, it's not. I thought I would first use a usual polarizer with a regular lens and note the desired angle, then insert the right gel and mount the beast. Probably would've been fed up rather quickly.
05-19-2023, 10:16 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I rec'd my copy of it a little earlier this morning, purchased Wednesday in Japan, and here in Florida this morning. Impressive shipping speed!

It is pristine.

There is no evidence this has ever been on a camera body. A complete lack of any marks or friction blemishes on the mount, a perfectly clean body, and spotless glass. I'm pretty happy.

It is fishy on a full-frame, but if you have used a fisheye lens before you know what they're good at, and this one is perfect for my K1 Monochrome. There will probably be times those built-in filters are useful. I wish it had red instead of yellow, but in all honesty, the more I use my monochromes the less I feel a need to use filters anyway. If I do it will be special circumstances. As far as rendering and handling, and even tho I've used it for only a few shots so far, it's exceptionally easy to focus, compact, and light, and the photos are clean and crisp. It's a keeper.

If anyone else has an interest in fish-eyes for full-frame this is definitely one to look for.
05-19-2023, 11:18 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is pristine.

There is no evidence this has ever been on a camera body. A complete lack of any marks or friction blemishes on the mount, a perfectly clean body, and spotless glass. I'm pretty happy.
Congrats, nice pickup.

Be careful with the metal lens cap when putting it back on the lens, as you can chip paint in the area around the lenses little built-in hood.

The metal hood also does not stay on very well, like in a camera bag, so I replaced mine with a tighter fitting plastic one from Schneider Optics. (Maker of B+W filters)

Enjoy the lens.

Phil.
05-19-2023, 11:57 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Congrats, nice pickup.

Be careful with the metal lens cap when putting it back on the lens, as you can chip paint in the area around the lenses little built-in hood.

The metal hood also does not stay on very well, like in a camera bag, so I replaced mine with a tighter fitting plastic one from Schneider Optics. (Maker of B+W filters)

Enjoy the lens.

Phil.
Someone mentioned that cap a few days ago, so I already ordered one. There's some great folks with great advice on this forum.