Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Suggestion to research a reseller before posting about a "deal"
Posted By: brecklundin, 04-16-2010, 08:38 AM

Just a suggestion that people do a bit of research on a given reseller before posting a link about them in any thread. There are a lot of less than, ummmm, ethical, online sites to downright scams all of which look like perfectly legit sites out there. A small bit of searching the web will uncover plenty of background info. A lack of background info will also imply a new site that could simply be a previously closed down scam site re-branded under a new name.

Some suggestions are to:
  • use your favorite search engine for the company name
  • check out comments on ResellerRatings.com but remember lots of these scam sites will also, of course, have people post "false positive" reviews.
  • Do a WhoIs search for the URL of the store. This can give a fair amount of insight into how long the URL has been registered and who the actual owners of the site might be...
  • Better Business Bureau is another potential source of information, though I find it can be pretty hit and miss.

There are lots of red-flags which will pop up. I already mentioned the reviews, also the length of time the website has been online and registered is important. A site recently registered and created using a "shared" cheap server/hosting service is another red-flag. Nothing wrong with a shared server, but typically we are talking about a line of business (camera gear and electronics) means millions of dollars/month in sales so $1500/mo for a dedicated, managed server indicates they are at least aware of security and other issues.

I know there are other keys people look for so maybe if people post them here we can keep up a list of how to try and buy safely online and also how to vet a reseller before pointing other people to the seller. Remember if you post about a seller, you are, in general, endorsing that seller telling others you feel they are safe to buy from...and really if you have questions about a seller and all the searching is too much, start a thread about that seller because there are plenty of established members who can offer opinions obtained by using the tools I mentioned here as well as many others I might not even be aware of...

I just feel it's just a person's responsibility to vet a seller before even mentioning them just because they show a lot price...better to ask questions about unknown sellers in a tread dedicated to that business.
Views: 2,644
04-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote

I just feel it's just a person's responsibility to vet a seller before even mentioning them just because they show a lot price...better to ask questions about unknown sellers in a tread dedicated to that business.
While I applaud this thoughtful and helpful post, I think it's important that everyone understand that all price postings are simply a statement of the current ad price and that its "buyer beware" when it comes to actually shelling out your cash.

Posters can't be held responsible for checking out vendors...that's up to the buyer. I might want to post what I see is a great price, but the interested buyer is ultimately responsible for using his/her head and protecting themselves from a bad deal. If posters might catch blame because of a bad seller or deal, then its not in anyone's favor to post at all. Just my thoughts.... again, kudos to brecklundin for posting smart ways to avoid a scam.
04-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
While I applaud this thoughtful and helpful post, I think it's important that everyone understand that all price postings are simply a statement of the current ad price and that its "buyer beware" when it comes to actually shelling out your cash.

Posters can't be held responsible for checking out vendors...that's up to the buyer. I might want to post what I see is a great price, but the interested buyer is ultimately responsible for using his/her head and protecting themselves from a bad deal. If posters might catch blame because of a bad seller or deal, then its not in anyone's favor to post at all. Just my thoughts.... again, kudos to brecklundin for posting smart ways to avoid a scam.
While I agree, at the same time, I kinda feel ethically when one has the ability to do the checking, it's incumbent on one to do just that, or include a disclaimer that you did not have time to vet that particular vendor.

Otherwise, thanks for getting what I was trying to say...which is everyone needs to think not only before buying, but also, try and be responsible enough to look further into a given vendor with whom (or is it who...heck, I never know...hehehe) a person is unfamiliar. The background a person can gather could save other users from making a knee-jerk purchase simply because they assumed someone posting about the price has done the very sleuthing I suggest.

Something I was also thinking is when people simply post about any "deal" they find, the very fly-by-night operators of such sites will likely tend exploit places where it is simply acceptable to the user community to use the "shotgun" method of finding prices and post their own "Gee...look at this great price..." threads. And I don't expect the already beleaguered operators of a site, like PF, to vet every new vendor someone posts as having a great deal.

I was also attempting to imply that people think before posting just any deal they run across. By researching a bit, a person might save many who are otherwise unfamiliar, or never might have considered this idea, from a huge impulse-purchase that will go very wrong. Plus, by learning to do some of the legwork ourselves, rather than simply posting a price or one of those "is this vendor safe" threads, everyone benefits.

In the past when I run across a vendor I have never done business with but did not have the time to research, I would add a qualifying comment to indicate I have no experience with the given vendor and people should do a bit of research on them before buying.

Maybe we can use this forum as a place to help educate new and of intimidated folks how to look into an online seller. Many equate having an online store to having a "Brick & Mortar Store"...as in they must be OK because they have a store/website after all. Sadly it's not true and I suspect that is something the sleazy sites depend on...fact it, even if they scam 1 out of every 1000 people who visit their site, given the dollar amounts of photo gear, that is a nice bit of change. Even if their site is up for only a month, nailing 10 people for $5,000 each, well, that is a fast $50,000 at essentially no cost to them...plus they usually use legit people to setup their merchant accounts (how they can accept credit cards). But by the time that month is up, the funds are long gone as are the people running them...

Oh, and to further the ability to extend these scams a bit, I have read where the seller actually shipped a box...filled with a brick or what have you to show a real tracking number...and we won't get into the "lost parcel" insurance scams because I am already wandering OT...hehehehe....d'oh!!

I might have rambled a bit here and also worded my comments poorly, it's one of THOSE days....hehehehe, but I hope my reasoning comes across....better to help teach people to learn something on their own using the wide variety of great tools to be had online, for free, than to simply depend on other people to do it for them or, even worst, a pretty face on a cookie cutter web store.

I guess I am just trying to say, we should all just try and help each other out. And I say this even though I agree with you that everyone needs be responsible for their own purchase decisions...but when we can help people learn how to help themselves, I feel it is the right/ethical thing to do. And also, "outing" these sellers is as important as posting a "deal" so in that respect, I don't feel it's better to not post at all, but rather best to post what one might have found along with asking for info...then give the vendor the chance to respond right in the tread by contacting the seller via their website and pointing them to the tread, thus giving them the chance to ease any doubts people might have....though that in it's self, would not always make me trust a seller when my personal "crap detector" starts clanging away....

Me? For my personal purchases, I stick, for the most part, with places like B&H, Amazon, Adorama and a few others I just don't remember off-hand, but some of those "others" I do not do business with directly, prefering to buy from them via eBay or Amazon because I have them backing up the deal with some pressure to deliver as promised.
05-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Four categories of resellers

This is really good advice. Perhaps we can create a list of four categories of Pentax resellers:

1. Pentax Authorized
2. Not authorized, but almost all people have a good experience
3. Some people have had problems. In general pretty safe, but only worth the risk if there is a really good deal.
4. Scammers who bait and switch

If we also include some links to resellers that support Pentax Forums, perhaps this can become a "sticky."

I'll start compiling the lists, but if someone has already done this, I want to give that person a chance to chime in.