Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
How to rescue photos on a corrupted SD card
Posted By: ve2vfd, 03-05-2008, 05:34 PM

I just had to recsue an SD card for a friend...

I searched for a while for a freeware utility and found this tiny program called "Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery", holy cow it does an amazing job!

Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery download and review - recover pictures from media cards from SnapFiles

It takes a while to scan a 2gb card, but it recovered every picture (complete and incomplete) on the card.

Just letting y'all know in case you need it!

Pat
Views: 77,036
04-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
A good software, thanks !
Alex
04-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #3

PC only won't work for me!
04-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It appears as though it won't find RAW files, is that right? The spec says it recovers gif, tiff, jpeg, and exif, so does that mean my .PEF, or .DNG files are out of the question? I alway shoot RAW, so if it doesn't work for RAW it is of no use to me also.

04-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I've only had to use it once but, FreeUndelete rescues RAW or JPG, or anything else for that matter. It can be found here; Free Undelete Utility Recovers Deleted Files, Unerases Lost Data
04-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I installed the recover disk that came with my Sandisk 2gig Extreme III card.

Used it once and recovered all my corrupt files.

Thats the last time i took a card out of the reader before using the shut down in my task bar.:-)

Dave
04-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #7

Lexar has a program called Image Rescue that will work with a Mac that recovers jpg, TIFF and RAW files:

Lexar - Downloads, Software and Drivers

Tom

04-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
I installed the recover disk that came with my Sandisk 2gig Extreme III card.

Used it once and recovered all my corrupt files.

Thats the last time i took a card out of the reader before using the shut down in my task bar.:-)

Dave
I used this software as well. Some how, I deleted an entirely full 2GB card of my photos from Italy. I was horrified when I realized they were missing. Then I remembered the Rescue Pro software that came with the Extreme 3 cards. It worked beautifully. Recovered the whole card with no hitches.
Brian
04-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #9

Calicojack or Pentkon 52, when you used the RescuePro that came with the Extreme III card did it work on the raw files? I have used it to recover files for friends who shoot in "jpg" and "tif", but not in the raw or 'dng" format.
04-20-2008, 06:34 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KYPhotonut Quote
Calicojack or Pentkon 52, when you used the RescuePro that came with the Extreme III card did it work on the raw files? I have used it to recover files for friends who shoot in "jpg" and "tif", but not in the raw or 'dng" format.
When I used it, there were only jpg's on the card (as I remember). That card was part of a fairly long vacation trip and I was maximizing the number of possible photos (without turning down the pixel count or quality level adjustments). I only took about a half a dozen jpg+raw shots on the whole trip and those were just for learning raw files.
Sorry, I can't confirm if it will work on raw but it is a file recovery program, not jpg recovery. I think it will. I don't remember reading any reference to it only working on specific file types.
SanDisk | Products | Photo & Video | Performance Card Software | RescuePro
"Sandisk <snip> Rescue Pro <snip> recovers just about anything"
Brian
P.S. Photo Recovery Software to Recover Lost Photos - Card Recovery has a free download trial version

Last edited by calicojack; 04-20-2008 at 06:36 AM. Reason: added P.S.
04-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

They were all jpgs of presentation shots over a three day horse show.

Dave
08-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

FreeUndelete, mentioned above, and a program called Recuva would recover a PEF that was deleted from the card via my computer file manager, but not a PEF that was deleted by the camera.

Zero Assumption took over an hour as it recovered all 191 files, not just deleted files. But, it renamed them "Image_x" (and not keeping the original number, either) and changed the extension to TIFF. While I could rename the extension to PEF, it seems like too much time and questionable results. Also, it identified the available drives by a number, so you have to guess, based on megabytes shown.
08-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm actually surprised to see so many people having success with such recovery software.

I have never once had a trashed/corrupted filesystem on any of my cards (which is what such software can handle)

I have had two cards suffer complete electrical failure such that any computer they were placed in would either not recognize the card, or in the case of one card, hang in Windows and spew all sorts of weird kernel errors in Linux. Not even "dd" under Linux could do anything with the cards.
08-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
repost from a thread from around a month ago:

I had to recover some files off a disk that I had accidentally deleted about 2 weeks ago, and found some freeware that did the trick. Company was Convar, and the program name is PC Inspector Smart Recovery. It also did not list PEF's in the file types, so I chose TIFF to see what it would do. Even though the files were listed as TIFFs, Paint Shop Pro would still read the file as a PEF. I then went back and renamed all the files as PEF's so the thumbnails would work in Windows Explorer, but it was an issue of convenience/ organization at that point. Took 3 days (!) to recover 200 pictures, but that's better than the 40 bux that Ritz Camera would have charged me to recover these pictures....
08-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, this one works!
it did not recover a couple of videos I had made with the P&S digicrap but recovered the pictures
Closed Thread