Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jerra Quote
Is the KPS eye-cup at least usefull?
Certainly. I like a nice eyecup, and this one's pretty nice. A bit on the soft side, but that has its comforts.

My own glasses aren't the same shape, so it's an odd fit if I shoot through them, and the lenses are all banged-up, so it's hard to be sure, but I think for bigger ones, it's probably OK, at a guess.

They sell the KPS with a rubber flat ring as well as the cup, for a little more, and that Tenpa one Time Bandit mentions looks like a quality item, and has them, too. Comes in a couple of different magnifications, too, if I recall.

03-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #122
Inactive Account

Looks like this won't even fit:
pentaxforums.com/forums/916946-post103.html
on my K200D without modification. nah
03-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Well, Jenna, I'd probably suggest trying the Tenpa one, (maybe the one with the smaller magnification might be more eyeglasses-friendly, too,) the adapter's much smaller and should fit up just fine, at least.

Hopefully TimeBandit will tell us how his turns out to be.
04-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #124
Ira
Inactive Account

I'm lost:

I'm nearsighted and wear glasses, but the KX's diopter works okay, but I want the best manual focus situation that my 53-year-old eyes will allow me. (54 years if you count me as a fetus, but who does?)

Does the KPS magnifier preclude the diopter? Like, you have to remove it to install this?

Mind you, my close-up vision is remarkable, and I take my glasses off to read tiny type with zero effort.

So is this how the magnifier will work for me, that I'll be using my farsighted strengths (able to see close up) without glasses? And why the hell do they call me nearsighted, when I can see things near but not FAR!?

04-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I'm lost:

I'm nearsighted and wear glasses, but the KX's diopter works okay, but I want the best manual focus situation that my 53-year-old eyes will allow me. (54 years if you count me as a fetus, but who does?)

Does the KPS magnifier preclude the diopter? Like, you have to remove it to install this?
Oh, no, not at all: the magnifier just goes on behind the built-in: you can still set it and all.

You can actually adjust the magnifier itself, too, not sure what benefit that might give you, (looked good right out of the box, so I never touched it)

QuoteQuote:
Mind you, my close-up vision is remarkable, and I take my glasses off to read tiny type with zero effort.

So is this how the magnifier will work for me, that I'll be using my farsighted strengths (able to see close up) without glasses? And why the hell do they call me nearsighted, when I can see things near but not FAR!?
I think that's cause your sight is good for near.

I don't think the magnifier will interact with your prescription concerns in that way, just make the whole thing easier to see. Mine didn't alter my choice of diopter setting, not by more than a click, anyway.
04-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Interesting tidbit, btw: I've been trying on a ZX-5 film camera, and my OME-53 magnifier actually works pretty brilliantly with this. (still want to go in and black out the edges of the glass in there, though) I kind of suspect this was designed for the purpose, and has just carried over. If I had to guess.
04-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #127
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Interesting tidbit, btw: I've been trying on a ZX-5 film camera, and my OME-53 magnifier actually works pretty brilliantly with this. (still want to go in and black out the edges of the glass in there, though) I kind of suspect this was designed for the purpose, and has just carried over. If I had to guess.
When I first got the OME-53, I put it on a Bronica 645 camera's viewfinder just for fun. I don't really recall how the edges were, but the view was larger than large

04-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
When I first got the OME-53, I put it on a Bronica 645 camera's viewfinder just for fun. I don't really recall how the edges were, but the view was larger than large
Heehee. I'd promised to do this with my old Mamiya, to tell a friend about, when I got my KPS. The only problem is that my actual Mamiya finder is older and has a big shiny release button directly in the way of that.
04-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #129
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Heehee. I'd promised to do this with my old Mamiya, to tell a friend about, when I got my KPS. The only problem is that my actual Mamiya finder is older and has a big shiny release button directly in the way of that.
Huh??? So you press the release with your face??
04-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Huh??? So you press the release with your face??
I suppose if you used your left eye and had a nose like Dick Tracy, maybe?
04-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #131
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I suppose if you used your left eye and had a nose like Dick Tracy, maybe?
Lol never mind, I'm just confused why there'd be a release button near the viewfinder window...
04-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Lol never mind, I'm just confused why there'd be a release button near the viewfinder window...
Oh, I see where we got confused, I think: It's not a *shutter* release button, it's to remove the interchangeable finder. It doesn't actually get in the way while shooting, but it does get in the way of the KPS eyepiece frame.
04-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #133
Pentaxian

I just picked up one of these eyepieces myself, for my K20D. I like ALMOST everything about it. It's great for manual focusing (using a split prism screen), I like not having to press my greasy nose as hard against the back of the camera, I don't mind that it's a little dimmer than stock, and I don't generally mind the vignetting in the viewfinder.

But the vignetting has one secondary effect that is bothering me a bit -- it is much harder to take a level shot! Because I'm concentrating on focusing on moving objects, trying to compose a shot properly and get everything in the field of view that I want, I can't ALSO SIMULTANEOUSLY peek at the edge of the viewfinder to make sure things are straight. Frustrating!

Maybe that will fall into place in time, as I get used to the magnifier, but for now it's a significant annoyance.
04-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #134
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just got the Tenpa 1.36x eyepiece about a month ago or so. and it is a fantastic product. truly helpful in nailing focus thru magnified view. not to mention that it is really tight sitting on the viewfinder and really of excellent quality glass and built. the soft rubber eye cushion is another great feature which has really been helpful in easing out pressure on the eye and brings much comfort while focusing.

now the only minor complaint about the Tenpa is the slight vignetting at the corners when viewing just above the eyecup due to the magnification of the image appearance on the viewfinder. but I don't think it would matter or relevant enough to affect the composition.

I'll give this product a 4.5/5 rating.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 04-23-2010 at 11:32 PM.
04-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentaxor:

that is great news on the Tenpa 1.35x...I had a feeling it was pretty nice. Right now I am actually using my K20D w/o it's original "eye cup" and get a much better look into the viewfinder because I can get my eye closer and actually feel as if it fits my eye better. I also looked at the Tenpa a while back and it really looked like a good fit, certainly better than the stock eye cup, for my face.

I think I might look into the Tenpa when I grab a few more MF lenses...but like you I am on an LBA moratorium for a while...then again I always om in May....

thanks!!