Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

KPS 1.3x magnifying eyepiece

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting the KPS 1.3x magnifying eyepiece. But I wonder, if people are getting vignetting with the Pentax 1.8x magnifier, wouldn't KPS 1.3x have even more vignetting?

Would love to hear from those who has used it.

Thanks,
Donna

01-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #2

Hello,

I don't know the KPS magnifying eyepiece, but i use the Pentax O-ME 53, which has the same magnifying ratio. Maybe i misunderstood your question, but could you explain more about the vignetting ?
Using the magnifier on the viewfinder will "crop" the image seen, so when you take the picture you will have a bit more that what you saw. AFAIK, the vignetting is caused by a wrong hood, not by a viewfinder magnifier ...

BTW, the O-ME 53 perfectly works for me (i am an addicted to ... manual lenses).

Hope this helps

Best regards
01-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Indianadinos Quote
Using the magnifier on the viewfinder will "crop" the image seen
Oh that's what I meant by "vignetting", just in the viewfinder. I ordered a KPS, will let people know how it is.

Thanks,
-donna
01-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #4

Hello,

AFAIK, it seems to be better that the Nikon magnifier used by some Pentaxians (just read in another forum). It seems to be well built and with a good magnifying lens ...

Best regards

01-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Indianadinos Quote
Hello,

I don't know the KPS magnifying eyepiece, but i use the Pentax O-ME 53, which has the same magnifying ratio. . . .

BTW, the O-ME 53 perfectly works for me (i am an addicted to ... manual lenses).

Hope this helps

Best regards
I have the O-ME53 as well but it is actually 1.2x
01-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by annod Quote
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting the KPS 1.3x magnifying eyepiece. But I wonder, if people are getting vignetting with the Pentax 1.8x magnifier, wouldn't KPS 1.3x have even more vignetting?

Would love to hear from those who has used it.

Thanks,
Donna
Which Pentax magnifier is 1.8x?
01-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I believe the O-ME53 has "1.18" magnification factor.

That's why some people call it 1.2x some people by mistake call it 1.8x

01-15-2009, 01:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've tried the Pentax, Nikon and KPS eyepieces and I use the KPS one. Beats the others

More magnification, great optics and VERY well-built. I love the way it looks too, low profile and looks like the D3 eyepiece.

If you wear glasses though you'll have a harder time since it doesn't have a very high "eyepoint", your eye has to be close to the eyepiece. It does have a feeling of "vignetting" but I don't mind it at all. I still see all the info and after a week it's gonna be normal.

Use it on my K20D and it's now about the size of the 5D's viewfinder. BIG difference for me since I'm spoiled with the MX/ME Super's viewfinder

Got it locally for about an equivalent of $50 USD and I love it. It's kinda hard going back to smaller viewfinders
01-15-2009, 03:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

So if it makes everything better...what is the negative sides with it?

or is it just positive effects of it?

In that case I don't understand why people buy a camera with a big viewfinder if they can use an eyepiece and have a (hate to say it) "FF"-viewfinder.

Anyone can answer this please? I think that i could help out much people here in the forum.

Regards

Emil
01-15-2009, 04:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Like I said:

"If you wear glasses though you'll have a harder time since it doesn't have a very high "eyepoint", your eye has to be close to the eyepiece. It does have a feeling of "vignetting" but I don't mind it at all."

In other words, wear glasses and you'll have a harder time.
01-15-2009, 07:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

okey, thanks. Any other negatives consecvenses before I go to the store and buy one?
(how i don't wear glasses) Thank you so much Joe for ur post

Regards Emil
01-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've been using a Nikon eyepiece, the one with 1.17x magnification. I'd be interested to hear more about this KPS one, I haven't heard of it before. Anyone tried all three (plus the stock eyepiece) and want to post a writeup?
01-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

like my post above says, i've tried them. the nikon and pentax ones didn't impress me as much as the kps one.
01-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #14

Hello,

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have the O-ME53 as well but it is actually 1.2x
You're right, i should have been sleeping at the time i replied, instead of beeing stuck on my laptop ...

However, according to the other posts, i think i will sell mine, and get a KPS ...

Best regards
01-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Where do one see a KPS ? link please !