Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NEED SOME CASH? (Pentax Flash)

Every so often I use my 540 or 360 Flash units, and attempt to do wireless or other functions and always end up spending more time than should be necessary trying to figure out what the Pentax flash manuals are saying. I know I am not the only one, I've heard many others have the same problem.
I know these units can do some nice functions, are capable units, and can be very beneficial tools for even amateurs like myself.....but only if you can use them as needed.

I see that there are some flash familiar shooters here, most likely long time users, and whether they need the cash or not, I would love to see one of them write a comprehensive guide to the use of Pentax Flash units. I am certain there is a market and sales would be good over the long term for new Flash users coming along all the time, as well as guys like me that have the units but don't fully understand their functions.

Picture This:
A guy/girl gets a new Pentax DSLR, has it a while and becomes familiar with the basic operation. They decide to buy a 360/540 Flash unit, and have never owned a camera mount flash before. What do they need to know? Everything! And they need it in simple step by step procedures that explain what they are doing and why. Every knob and dial, every setting and what it might be used for, and every capability the units have/don't have. Plain simple terms, not assuming the reader knows a thing about flash.

Is there anyone here that might like to write such a booklet? If so, put me down as your first sale!

Last edited by Rupert; 04-05-2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Change heading
04-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd be right behind you!
04-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I hear you!

I think there are lots of others. We have many members here that speak many languages, but few if any that speak "Pentax Manual". They are some of the least well written guides I have seen for those that are not already well skilled in the process.

Would I pay $10 for a well written E-book? Like the Silkypix E-book that is a huge help in navigating Spix.....You bet I would!
04-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
And they need it in simple step by step procedures that explain what they are doing and why. Every knob and dial, every setting and what it might be used for, and every capability the units have/don't have. Plain simple terms, not assuming the reader knows a thing about flash.
This is some video help on setting up wireless, but doesn't go into why it is to be used.

04-09-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One of the nicest things about obsolete units like the AF200T is that all the controls are mechanical sliding switches, removing the hassle of monkeying about with settings accessed through buttons. Nothing could be easier.
04-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Jim,
it's great seeing you on the forum. I left you a reply in the other thread :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/52551-facing-reality-2.html

The lastest P-TTL flash tutorials are up again :
PENTAX AF360FGZ Flash - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

I also wish they would make an easy guidebook for the flash system

Regarding this site, then remember to use the "thread subscription mode". Makes it easy to see, if things are happening in threads that you've earlier participated in.
I was given an explanation, and repeated it, in the bottom of this thread :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-errors-help/314-explanat...eatures-2.html

Also the Quicklinks at the top menu, show what is currently being discussed in the forum.
04-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
Inactive Account

On the Pentax User website here (UK) there is a user that has done an ebook similar to what you are talking about. I have got it myself and find it very good.

http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/topic/Matt-Matics-Pentax-dSLR-Flash-Guide-...-4#comm_107719

Jason

04-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Murphy2004 Quote
On the Pentax User website here (UK) there is a user that has done an ebook similar to what you are talking about. I have got it myself and find it very good.

Matt Matic's Pentax dSLR Flash Guide
Thanks, will have a look at it.

Matt also made this Guide to Pentax P-TTL Flash Options :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/43215-pentax-p-...omparison.html