Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Flash Diffuser

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

After reading many posts about the Demb Flip It! I got interested in this style of flash diffuser. I had made a couple of DIY bounce cards and they worked well, but they didn't last in my crowded bag. The foamie material would tear and get a little dirty.

Looking around ebay I saw this diffuser. The first time I saw it, it was more than the price of the Demb Flip it! Jr. so I wasn't interested. About a week ago I came across a vendor selling the diffuser for $14.56 and free shipping, so bit on the hook.

The flash diffuser arrived a couple of days ago and I've played with it a little, so I thought I would post a review. I don't know how long the $14.56 will last.

The diffuser is mounted on the flash with elastic. It can be mounted on the back or to the side of the flash head. The elastic strip has velcro on the ends to create a loop, large or small enough, for a number of flashes. It measures 7.5 by 3/4 inches in its relaxed position. The vendor lists compatibility with the following flashes:
  • Nikon SB-800, SB-600, SB-80DX, SB28, SB26, SB25, SB24
  • Canon 580EX, 550EX, 540EZ, 430EX, 420EX, 380EX, 430EZ
  • Metz 40MZ2, 54MZ3
  • Minolta 5600hs, 5400xi/hx, 5200i, 3600
  • Olympus FL-40, FL-50, G40
  • Sony HVL-F1000, HVL-F32X
  • Sigma EF-500DG Super, ST
  • Nissin 360TW, 360TXP, PZ400-C-N-M
  • Sunpak 2000DZ, 266D, MZ440AF
  • Tumax 988
  • Vivitar 2500, 273, 3500, 850AF
The issue with elastic is that over time it loses its elasticity. The elastic on this unit is user replaceable. Under the rubber grip pad of the mount are two small Philips head wood/metal screws that screw into a plastic plate that holds the elastic in place. As it is user replaceable, the elastic can be replaced at any length if it is found to be too long or too short.

The back plate that holds the elastic can be seen to the left in the following photo. The two protrusions are for the screws to screw into. This vendor is selling the unit for US $28.99 with free shipping

The unit I bought comes with the silver and gold stickers not stuck on the second white plastic plate. Getting the sticker's paper backing off was a pain. I'm not very good with stickering things. I ended up with bubbles and with the stickers not on the plate in exactly the right position. I think if I had of taken more time I could have done a little better, but once stuck that's it. Take your time and smooth out the bubbles as you go if this is going to bother you.

After finishing the stickers, you have three plates, white, translucent, and the gold/silver one. I suppose you could split the stickers, creating one white/gold and one white/silver, as well. This didn't occur to me when I was applying the stickers, however.

The unit, with the plate, weights about 2-3 oz. I would be surprised if a flash head could not support this. The bounce area when the plate is in the holder is about 4.5 inches by 4.5 inches.

The plates simply slide into the side of the holder and can be changed with the diffuser mounted on the flash and the flash mounted on the camera. The plates aren't square and have a rounder edge on two sides so you do have to pay attention when slipping them into the mount. The head is able to rotate 360 degrees, left to right, and 180 degrees, front to back.

As the unit has so much freedom of movement, it is possible to have half of the flash bouncing up, and half hitting the diffuser and going towards a wall, to the left or right, as well. I think this is at least one function of the Presslite Vertex.

It is possible to flip the diffuser mount so that it is in front of the flash head, and the flash is shooting through the diffuser. This gives me the idea for creating some mount plates for gels. I'm also planning some half translucent half silver/gold Mylar plates as well. The plates are the same thickness as flexible cutting boards, two for $3 at the kitchen store, so experimenting is going to easy and cheap.

My favorite plate right now is the translucent one. Most of the light goes up to be bounced off the ceiling/wall, but some is reflected forward for a bit of fill light. The others I'm going to need to practice with a bit.

The unit comes in a nice case that measures about 3/4 x 5.5 x 8.5 inches with the diffuser and plates in it. There are two pockets to store the plates, one in each pocket and one in the mount in the main compartment. There is also a smaller pocket to the side that can be used to store eight AA batteries. The main compartment for storing the head looks like it could hold two units if needed.

I bought an Omni-bounce for its size, but I think I can carry this one just as easily. Speaking of, I can use the Omni-bounce with this diffuser as well. I'm just not sure if there is any reason to.

For the price I'm happy enough to have bought a second one. I would have liked not to have to bother with the stickers, but I'll get over it.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 05-02-2009 at 12:02 AM.
04-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This one looks interesting. Easy to use and more importantly, easy to store and carry. I also like the fact that there are gold and silver reflectors. I'm definitely in for one of these....two if the build on the first one is decent.
05-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Russell,

Thanks for the pointer and the review. I'll probably buy one for myself.

But I'm confused by this:

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
The back plate that holds the elastic can be seen to the left in the following photo. The two protrusions are for the screws to screw into. This vendor is selling the unit for US $28.99 with free shipping
What unit is $28.99 with free shipping? This is not the one sold for $14.56 and free shipping? Do I need both?

About this:

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
It is possible to flip the diffuser mount so that it is in front of the flash head, and the flash is shooting through the diffuser. This gives me the idea for creating some mount plates for gels. I'm also planning some half translucent half silver/gold Mylar plates as well. The plates are the same thickness as flexible cutting boards, two for $3 at the kitchen store, so experimenting is going to easy and cheap.
You should visit a local plastic store. My favorite is TAP Plastics. The store should have a scrap bin containing small off-cuts of all kinds of plastic that you can have for cheap.

Thanks again.
05-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
What unit is $28.99 with free shipping? This is not the one sold for $14.56 and free shipping? Do I need both?
Stock photos from different ebay vendors. The second photo is from another ebay vendor, "DSLR Baby", who is selling the diffuser as well, just at a higher price. As you can see the "DSLR Baby" in the photo, I thought someone might see it on ebay at the higher price, and be confused.

The $14.56 diffuser is the complete unit. You only need to buy it.

Thank you
Russell

05-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thank you, Russell, for de-confusing me.

I bought the $14.56 unit.

Regards.
05-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
jem

Thanks for the in-depth review. I just bought one as well.
05-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got mine in the mail yesterday (I ordered two). The review posted above is spot on. These will be a nice addition to the photography tool box. I'm shooting a First Communion party tomorrow night and plan on using them along with a couple of remote fired strobes in the corners of the room.

BTW, the gold sticker would come in handy if you need some warmer light, like shooting portraits at sunset. I'm going to give that a try over the weekend to see if I can balance the colors.

05-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
I got mine in the mail yesterday (I ordered two).
Cut some black cardboard and you'll have barn doors.

There is a pdf manual if you are interested on the support page.

The web site has this to say about the panels:
  • Bounce - this panel is used most often for bouncing your light to create a neutral and diffused light. This panel is best suited for normal event photograph
  • Diffusion - this panel can be used flapped own across the flash head (For shoot-thru application), or as a soft bounce panel to cast the softest diffused light possible. The panel is useful in many ways - as additional outdoor fill flash or stronger but diffused straight-on flash shooting
  • Warm (Gold) sticker - this panel is used most often for portrait, wedding and fashion shoots when you want to introduce warmth and a more flattering color temperature to your subject
  • Intense (Silver) sticker - This panel is used when it is necessary to throw a stronger light towards a longer distance, or bounce a crispier light towards your subject
Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 05-07-2009 at 04:26 PM.
05-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the review, Russell. Just ordered one to play with.