Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

D-BG2 contact pins

I have had this D-BG2 for a while but barely used it. Just today I noticed that one of the pins on it either got pushed all the way in or is broken (doesn't look like it is designed that way though).

Before I try to figure out what may or may not work by attaching it to my K20D and attempting all the common functions, which I will do anyway, I also wanted to ask here to see if anyone knew specific function of each of the contact pins on this grip.

I couldn't locate any literature on D-BG2 from the PENTAX Digital Cameras and DSLRs - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site site.

Thanks!

08-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Damn Brit

There was a thread about this fairly recently (within a couple of weeks I think).
Try doing a search for that, it might help you.
08-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

They bend, and become stuck.
08-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just popped my K20D on the D-BG2 with a freshly charged battery and turned it on, with its pin still submerged, and the buttons and dials functioned okay with a few test shots I took.

May be its just decorative, or even submerged it still provides enough contact to perform whatever it is supposed to do!

08-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I just popped my K20D on the D-BG2 with a freshly charged battery and turned it on, with its pin still submerged, and the buttons and dials functioned okay with a few test shots I took.

May be its just decorative, or even submerged it still provides enough contact to perform whatever it is supposed to do!
It looks like all the pins are spring loaded to provide a solid contact( I just CAREFULLY tested that theory on mine).

As long as the grip stays firmly in place(as it should ), you may have no problems.
09-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tested it again and everything seems to work fine, the dials and buttons on the grip which sits firm.

However I just noticed that while the pin circled in Red is pushed all the way in, the pin circled in Yellow is pushed-in a little more than the others. Those who may have seen fixed it, how did you actually pop the stuck pin? I am afraid to actually push it in any further.

Thanks.

09-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I had one of the corner pins sick as well. A sharp utility knife to carve away a bit of the plastic on the corner to expose the pin worked. Not the most elegant solution, but effective.

09-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw this thread, and perhaps pins could be less prone to breaking if you use the locating pin on the grip to align things. That's how I put it on. I line up the locating pin and the grip, and then gently roll things into place before using the screw.
09-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I saw this thread, and perhaps pins could be less prone to breaking if you use the locating pin on the grip to align things. That's how I put it on. I line up the locating pin and the grip, and then gently roll things into place before using the screw.
I didn't exactly hammer the grip onto camera but I wasn't treating it like a feather, either. If these contact break apart with normal use, I just think its a screwed-up design. Surely they could've been made sturdier, such as a hard casing around the pins to ensure proper alignment.
09-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't exactly hammer the grip onto camera but I wasn't treating it like a feather, either. If these contact break apart with normal use, I just think its a screwed-up design. Surely they could've been made sturdier, such as a hard casing around the pins to ensure proper alignment.
Agreed. However, I have found that nothing is ever as good as I hope, and often not as good as I expect. I have been using electronic equipment for a very long time now, and never, ever, trust pins. I treat them very, very carefully on the grounds that they will bend, break or be pushed in too far to work. I remove the grip only when I need to charge the camera battery, and when I replace it, I use the guide pin to ensure that it is correctly lined up.
09-03-2009, 05:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I tested it again and everything seems to work fine, the dials and buttons on the grip which sits firm.

However I just noticed that while the pin circled in Red is pushed all the way in, the pin circled in Yellow is pushed-in a little more than the others. Those who may have seen fixed it, how did you actually pop the stuck pin? I am afraid to actually push it in any further.
Yellow pin sits a little pushed in by design.

Red one definitely stuck. Check if AE-L (exposure lock) button on your grip does work.

Fixing stuck pin is easy when you have new pin... Stuck pin is bent and needs to be replaced.
Pin replacement requires grip to be disassembled. It's not difficult to do it by yourself, it should take not more than an hour. The most difficult thing is to get new pin.
09-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stored my grip in the kit with other gear pushing on the pins and had 2 stuck like yours. Paralax used a small utility knife to remove some material and free up the pin to spring load again. I used a needle to do the same--simply round out the hole a bit and the pin springs back into place. Took maybe one minute to fix two pins on my grip. Then I went back to the original box for the grip and found the little plastic pin cover that ships with the grip. Now my stored grip has protected pins and hopefully won't get stuck again.

Note that the pins are so short that it would be very difficult to bend one--leverage just isn't there. I'm betting it's just stuck and will clear with a straight pin or needle...good luck!
09-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't tell which way my pinout chart is oriented as I don't have my camera with me, but the pin circled in red is associated with either voltage, or front e-dial. I suspect that it is voltage as you said that the e-dials seem to be working. Try removing the camera's battery and see if the grip will power it.
09-04-2009, 08:17 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, Edvinas, Ron and Parallax.

I don't think I tested AE-L but will test it with the grip over the weekend, and also try to get them pop out using techniques suggested here, but not before testing to see if the grip can provide power. I don't think the dials are affected because I remember testing but will do it again.

I hardly used the grip but did exactly what Ron did, which was to store the darn thing in a bin with a bunch of stuff (without the hard plastic pin cover) and somehow, something pushed that one pin in, I think.

I will provide an update as soon as I have any. Thanks again everyone!