Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D Battery Grip

Has anyone here bought or used one of the cheap no brand battery grips from ebay.
If so hoe do they fit? Do they work well? and, Are they good quality?
Thanks

10-31-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No experience with the ebay grips but I would say go for the Pentax grip, it really isn't that much more expensive and you get both edials green button weather sealing etc. Definitely worth it IMO
10-31-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote
No experience with the ebay grips but I would say go for the Pentax grip, it really isn't that much more expensive and you get both edials green button weather sealing etc. Definitely worth it IMO
Hi Kthung
The ebay add shows a picture of both edial buttons etc and the description say's it is an excact copy of the pentax model, comes with 2 battery's with free postage at on 78 ozzy dollars
10-31-2009, 01:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Battery grip and two battery"s

OH well just bought this

10-31-2009, 05:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
OH well just bought this
Do up a full review when you get it and use it for a bit.
10-31-2009, 05:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are two versions

There are two versions, I just purchased the "improved" version for $50 including shipping last week.

The changes over the version shown above is that it has the three metal pins that align with the holes in the bottom of the body. The feel is quite good, and the dials have the same "click" feel as the ones on the body. The only problem is that the shutter is much stiffer. Half press is similar, but to get to full press you have to use more force than I would like.

Also It doesn't have a good place to hold the rubber part from the bottom of the K10/20. So I have it sitting where the remote should be.

But it holds so much better in landscape mode, and I think I have gained about a stop of hand-holding ability. I can now rest it on my shoulder ala. Joe McNalley.

Sadly it doesn't have an AF button on the back. If it had had that it would have been better.

But all in all one of the better things I have blown $50 on.
10-31-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I shall do a review no probs at all whereswaldo

and, omega, thanks for the input, i am looking forward to recieving this, even if its not much cop i still get 2 battery win win i reckon

11-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you ever get the grip in? What do you think?
11-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The grip does look very much like the genuine grip on the picture.
I too would be interested to see what you think when you get it in...
11-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I now own both(imroved eBay grip which I got for 60'ish) and an original Pentax grip(Thanks to Nick!).
And so here are some quick and dirty observations of both.

1. the leather material on the original is much nicer. Conforming to the curves and detail of the K20 rather than the geometric contour or pattern as seen in the above image.

2. the finish material on the original Pentax grip feels and looks different from the alternate(sheen and speckle size), which doesn't really affect it, though they are different in that respect. If I had to guess, I'd say the differences are in the materials and application. Though it really does feel as though the Pentax has the better finish of the two as it matches the K20D perfectly whereas the substitute does not.

3. the buttons on the original have a much higher quality feel to them than the eBay version. This includes the wheels and green accent which match the original K20D controls. The alternate grip doesn't have any green around the button(not a big deal, though it does seem to matter ).

4. the battery tray and assembly seems better built(tad heavier) in the original than the substitute version.

That pretty much sums it up. Installed they both seem to fit the K20D the same(tightly and solid), however, the original does feel better in terms of form and finish when holding it. I suspect this has something to do with the leather trim and materials used in each one.

Don't know about weather proofing.
I beleive the substitute grip adheres to the K20D standards in terms of weather proofing, though I can't quite remember if it was my particular unit or another one(shrugs).

Last edited by JohnBee; 11-26-2009 at 07:11 PM.
11-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I now own both(imroved eBay grip which I got for 60'ish) and an original Pentax grip(Thanks to Nick!).
And so here are some quick and dirty observations of both.

1. the leather material on the original is much nicer. Conforming to the curves and detail of the K20 rather than the geometric contour or pattern as seen in the above image.

2. the finish material on the original Pentax grip feels and looks different from the alternate(sheen and speckle size), which doesn't really affect it, though they are different in that respect. If I had to guess, I'd say the differences are in the materials and application. Though it really does feel as though the Pentax has the better finish of the two as it matches the K20D perfectly whereas the substitute does not.

3. the buttons on the original have a much higher quality feel to them than the eBay version. This includes the wheels and green accent which match the original K20D controls. The alternate grip doesn't have any green around the button(not a big deal, though it does seem to matter ).

4. the battery tray and assembly seems better built(tad heavier) in the original than the substitute version.

That pretty much sums it up. Installed they both seem to fit the K20D the same(tightly and solid), however, the original does feel better in terms of form and finish when holding it. I suspect this has something to do with the leather trim and materials used in each one.

Don't know about weather proofing.
I beleive the substitute grip adheres to the K20D standards in terms of weather proofing, though I can't quite remember if it was my particular unit or another one(shrugs).
I figured as much - non-OEM add ons like this would be quite obvious to pick out especially when fitted, and the finish does make a difference.

I'd have also guessed the buttons on the non-OEM grip would 'feel' quite different on use, which does give me the opinion that with a relatively useful yet not too expensive add-on that should last a lifetime, it's worth going with genuine parts - but that's just me being subjective.