Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

$0.45 flash diffuser

I just acquired a new flash diffuser:

A close-up photo:

The diffuser comes from half of a 11"X14" sheet of plastic canvas.

The plastic canvas is available at craft or fabric stores. Mine is from Micheals, $0.40 a sheet that can make 2 diffusers.

Notes:

1. The light loss is between 2/3 to 1 stop.

2. The plastic canvas also comes in solid white. But the light loss is too much, 2 1/3 stops.

3. With the flash in A mode and the diffuser attached, the head of the flash has to be tilted at least 30 degrees. Otherwise the light reflected from the diffuser hits the flash's light sensor, resulting in underexposure. There is no metering problem with p-TTL or TTL mode.

Last edited by SOldBear; 01-10-2010 at 03:25 PM.
11-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #2

wicked cool. I might try that out. Thanks!
11-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Big camera, Huge flash, tiny lens!

Seriously though, great idea.
11-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Variation of the same in a different media, flexible cutting board. I didn't want to have to put Velcro on the flash or use a rubber-band/silicon bracelet so cut tabs and used Velcro on them.

I made a number of these as well in the various size mesh offered at my local craft store. You can use these with the cutting board version as well.

The size I used is perfect for storing the diffusers in the LowePro AW 200 Sling in the compartment that houses the AW cover. I set up the Velcro in such a way as when the diffusers are laid on top of each other, one set of Velcro will attach to the other diffusers, top and bottom.

The size is also perfect for carrying the diffusers in the rear zip compartment of a Tamrac Messenger 4.

You can force more light out the front by using a reflective surface on the back. A little glue and mylar silver gift wrap works well.

Thank you
Russell

12-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #5

Props for SOldBear

SOldBear,

Thanks for this idea. I found the exact same product and have myself a new diffuser that works better than anything else I have.

Rather than a rubber band or Velcro, I secure mine to my Metz 48 with a couple of plastic electrical ties inserted into each other, then bent into a rectangle. Place that onto the unit first, then the bottom tongue of the diffuser and finally the top tongue. Hey Presto!

With the same purchase I splurged on a more expensive ($0.79 vs. $0.39) 14 count grid. It's smaller, and the holes not as large, so a bit more restrictive light-wise.

But I place both flat in a couple taped together manila folders, which I stick in my back pack. Quite impressive!
12-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I just used a cutout from a gallon milk jar which seems to work okay for my 360.
12-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Pictures with and without diffuser please

12-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
Count me in for this as well.
Very interested in this idea.
12-20-2009, 02:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wifey is not interested in working as model for diffuser test photos. So please pardon the "impersonal" test photos.

Photos are JPEG straight from camera, no post processing, only resized. Flash is Nikon SB-25 in A mode. Lens is Sigma 18-50mm EC DG F/2.8 at F/8. Camera is K10D at ISO 400, shutter speed 1/180, on tripod and with 2 sec timer delay.

Test A: The dining room has a lot of off-white wall surface for light reflection.
  1. No diffuser. Flash head tilts 0 degree.

2. No diffuser. Flash head tilts 45 degrees.

3. With diffuser. Flash head tilts 0 degree. Underexposed because light reflected from the diffuser hit flash's light sensor. This may not be a problem with p-TTL.

4. With diffuser. Flash head tilts 45 degree.

Test B: The stair well does not have much reflective surface. The ceiling is about 18 ft high
  1. No diffuser. Flash head tilts 0 degree.

2. No diffuser. Flash head tilts 45 degrees. Note the lower part of the photo is much darker than the upper part.

3. With diffuser. Flash head tilts 0 degree. Underexposed because light reflected from the diffuser hit flash's light sensor. This may not be a problem with p-TTL.

4. With diffuser. Flash head tilts 45 degree.

12-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks, SOldBear, for sharing this and providing the images!

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Variation of the same in a different media, flexible cutting board.
Looks very good too.

Have you tried to bend/form it in a way that yields a flatter surface at the front to create a bigger apparent light source for the subject?

Or is the idea for this kind of diffuser to be as omni-directional as possible?

Would a combination of beauty-dish (bigger apparent light source) and omni-directional diffuser make sense at all? I guess so as it should give some modelling plus some ambient light to lift the shadows that otherwise would be created by the main light. Or is fill-in light (directional light coming from the camera as opposed to ambient light) the only good way to lift shadows created by the main light?
12-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

to go completely off-topic... what the heck are you doing with a christmas kangaroo?

such blasphemy :P
12-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
to go completely off-topic... what the heck are you doing with a christmas kangaroo?

such blasphemy :P

What's wrong with a Christmas kangaroo?

When my son was in pre-school, the school had a Christmas show in which the nativity scene was the main feature. The teacher told me my son that he would play the mule in the nativity scene. He objected, "I want to be a kangaroo." Some of his classmates claimed, "But there were no kangaroos in the nativity scene." He asked back, "You were not there, how do you know the kangaroos didn't come and visit Baby Jesus?"

So in the show, when other kids walked to visit Jesus, my son bounced all the way from the end of the auditorium to the stage.

During winter, the kangaroos get round in a one-bear open sleigh:

Last edited by SOldBear; 12-22-2009 at 02:48 AM.
12-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
So in the show, when other kids walked to visit Jesus, my son bounced all the way from the end of the auditorium to the stage.
Too funny. I'm sure your wife told everyone he takes after your side of the family.

Thank you
Russell
12-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks for the Photos
12-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I just cut a strip out about 15 cm long, 6.5 cm wide (to fit a 360GZ) and rounded the corners; just attach to the flash with a thick rubber band and you have an easy to transport, zero-space diffuser that does the job in a pinch.

If those comments weren't directed to to me, please ignore.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Count me in for this as well.
Very interested in this idea.