Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
DIY programmable remote for Kx

My soldering skills are pretty rank, but I have managed to create an unatural bond between a timer remote and an infrared remote. So it is possible to have some program control over the Kx shutter.

The only problem I have found so far is that it will not wake the camera if it has gone back to sleep. It also only sends a pulse when the button is pressed, so it does not hold the shutter open in bulb mode except in press for on, press for off mode. Anyone know of any infrared remotes on ebay that will keep the shutter open while the button is pressed?
You can see the 'full' instructions here: creating a programmable remote shutter release for Pentax Kx

01-29-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Kx remote

Hi Am,
First of all,your remote is very professionall in apperance,congrats!
I don't have a Kx, so I'm not familliar with that interface,with the K20
I have, it is a 3 wire interface, 1-common,2-wakeup,3-go baby go(shutter)
If Kx is much the same you should be able to grab that 3rd wire(#2),pulse
it (common source)and be good to go.However,if it is 2 wire, the plot thickens,
in that case, it is probably some kind of pulse duration scheme which could be sorted
out with something like a logic analyzer or maybe an ocilliscope,ie.
long pulse=function a, short pulse = function b.
I wish I could be more helpful. There are a few post in the DIY section of
this forum,in regards to 3 wire interface that might serve to clarify.
Keep me posted,I really like what you have goin there.Wanted to do this
for long time.
Also, dont know much about IR appoach,If your interested in RF scenario
checkout Microchip Tech.,RF product line
01-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hey Am.. you beat me to it... i'm glad someone had the gumption to try that out... now we can get going with timelapse on the kx. there is a setting in the custom menu that you can change to allow the camera to open the shutter as long as the button is pressed, when you release it, it will close... it's custom menu option#12 and if you choose option #2 you'll be good to go
01-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
Bill - no electrical interface at all on the Kx , which is why I had to use the program remote to drive the infrared one. You can set the camera to focus before shooting in infrared remote mode, if needed. If you could see it like I see it, you would not think it looks professional though! I call most of my DIY stuff Franken-whatever as was always cackhanded and getting worse with age.

Andrew, thanks for the tip, but my remote only holds the shutter open for about 1/2 a second so I have to use option #1. I have had a go with using it this evening with the moon. Worked fine, but I actually it is so bright I only need 30 seconds or less, so am making do with my mechanical remote. I need to fiddle with a way of holding all the wires and bits in place with the Frankenremote. It needs a few bits of blutack and an elastic band or two.

01-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

does kx work w/ remote control F?

If it does here is some interesting software.
Remote Control For Pentax freeware for Windows Mobile Pocket PC.
Remote Control For Pentax allows you to use your Pocket PC, Windows Mobile or Windows CE device to shoot pictures using your Pentax DSLR camera. Provides you with Bulb, continuous, and Single Shoot mode. You just need to have a device with IR. This program is works with any Pentax camera compatible with Control F, including K100, K10D, K20D, K200.
01-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Programmable remote

hey again Am,
I followed your link,like I should of in first place. I throw this up for some consideration,
a latching type relay,which would act like logical flip-flop,or for that matter,
ol D-type guy himself,duration provided by your program input. Wish I had seen
jeffs post yesterday, went pawn shop surfing, all kinds of palm things,cheap.
also,remote start kit for automobile...$25...hmmmm?
01-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice job and idea!

01-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Forum Member

Awesome job really. Great work!
01-31-2010, 02:21 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the tips. Jeff, I had seen that software for a pda already and I have a Pocket PC smartphone, but it is ancient (about 6 or 7 years old!!) and will not run that software. I have a copy of it stored on my computer for when I finally upgrade the phone. I will be getting a 10-20 before a new phone though. Bill, a simple 6v linear solenoid would do the job with the timer remote to control voltage to it. See here for a PIR using the same sort of actuation: Using a 6 vdc or 12 vdc Push Solenoid to Push the Camera Shutter Button - Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors (JHO) Because of the dark frame subtraction issue I have not been doing that many long exposures anyway, stacking sequential 30 second exposures seems to be work better for me at the moment. I nearly bought a nikon because of the lack of control over dfs and the lack of wired remote on the Kx (or the dfs on the K7). Sticking with the Kx has saved me about £800 in losses for the changeover with lenses etc and provided hours of enjoyment getting around the 'limitations' of the entry level pentax.
01-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Programmable remote

hi Am,
that linear drive is downright scarry lookin, yikes! careful with the deadband
If you have a chance, maybe you could search IEEE site,lot of good stuff,
maybe of use in your app.Also Parallax,No need to buy anything,check out
firmware downloads,maybe an abstraction for an ideal.