Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
Forum Member

High speed SDHC cards and K200D's continuous shooting.

Hi!

Has anyone used these high speed SDHC cards (class 6 or above) with a K200D? If so, did you noticed any improvement on the camera's continuous shooting mode? I do not mean faster shooting, but faster emptying of the buffer and faster 'recovery' after a series of 3, 5 shoots.

Thank you.

03-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't shoot with a k200, but on my k20, there is a remarkable difference in buffer time. I always bought relatively cheaper cards but upgraded when I started having to take multiple multi-bracketed shots for a regular gig of mine. I wish I had upgraded a long time ago.....
03-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Card speed does matter and I've got some standard (Blue) sandisk 4 GB cards that are reasonably fast but the buffer does clear quicker with my Extreme III's. The limiting factor is the buffer speed though. At a certain point, no matter how fast your card is, the buffer can only move data at a certain speed. I've heard wildly different numbers, so it's hard to know what that speed is. But since my class 6 Sandisks are around 60X and the Extreme III's are 133x (30MB/s) I think that exceeds the buffer speed. I also have some Sandisk Ultra II's at 15MB/s and see no difference against the Extreme III's that are rated faster. That's on a K10D, K20D and K-x.

Thread moved to camera accessories forum.
03-31-2010, 10:57 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I just got a couple Transcend 8GB Class 10 cards, and they're slower than the Sandisk Extreme III (Class 6) cards I'd been using with my K10D. Not much slower, 1 less RAW shot in burst mode, and roughly 15% slower transferring files to my computer. That doesn't really matter to me because of how I shoot, and the price was right. Wouldn't it be great if stores had demo SD cards so you could try them to see how fast they really are? Not likely to happen though.

04-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Speaking of cards, could someone direct me to a discussion source on sandisk cards. I've a k20d and plan to do a cross country trip in a month. I'm looking to pick up a card or two and would like to know a little more about speeds, class, buffer, etc. Currently I'm using a 4GB SanDisk Extreme III SDHC class 6 card. It works very nicely but I'm wondering if I should be upgrading to a larger card or a different card. I'd appreciate any advice you can provide.