Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 08:37 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
adapters for non-K-mount lenses to Pentax K-mount DSLRs: new dimensions for LBA

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

First before some moderater gives me an infraction, this is the predicament in choosing where to post: This will be about 3rd party lenses and Pentax lenses. The only common factor is that I want them mounted on a Pentax DSLR, so perhaps it should go under Pentax DSLR discussion. On the other hand, it is about lenses, but a great mixture of lenses. And the adapters themself are sort of camera accessories (and lens accessories, but that category don't even exist).
If my guess on where to post was wrong, sorry, I did my best, it was not because I didn't try, so please move without handing out any infraction.

So to the actual topic:

I'm currios about mounting different manual lenses on my Pentax DSLRs. Obviously their are some adapters around, not as many as for the EOS or 4/3rd mounts, but enough to get me confused. I've tried below to make a first attempt of a summary. Hopefully there will be some input from people who have tried these adapters on their Pentax DSLRs or if someone know of an adapter I have missed. Tips on where to buy them, different manufacturers advantages/dissadvantages are all welcome in the thread. And of course pictures of the adapter and lenses and by these lenses on Pentax DSLRs.

I have no affiliation with any of the sellers behind the links below. I just wanted to post examples with images, and ebay was the easiest way to find them. If anyone have photos / links to photos of these different adapter, so that we don't have to link to ebay, they are most welcome.

( )=not in production, only available second hand
[]=not in production, but modified

Category 1: adapter without lens elements that fit between Pentax DSLR and lens without modifications

1.1: with infinity focus

1.1a Pentax original m42-K mount adapter (example)
1.1b 3rd party m42-K mount adapter (example)
1.1c 3rd party m39-K mount adapter
1.1d 3rd party m39-m42 + any infinity of the m42-K mount adapters (example)
1.1e (Pentax original m37-m42 adapter) + any inifinity of the m42-K mount adapters
1.1f Pentax original Pentax 645-K mount adapter
1.1g 3rd party Pentax 645-K mount adapter (example)
1.1h Pentax original Pentax 67-K mount adapter
1.1i 3rd party Pentax 67-K mount adapter
1.1j 3rd party Mamiya 645 to K mount adapter (example)
1.1k 3rd party Hasselblad 6x6 to K mount adapter (example)
1.1l 3rd party Pentacon 6/Kiev 60 to K mount adapter (example)
1.1m 3rd party Pentacon 6/Kiev 60 to m42 adapter + any infinity m42-K mount adapter (example)
1.1n 3rd party Kiev 88/ Salyut-C to m42 adapter + any infinity m42-K mount adapter (example)
1.1o 3rd party Voigtlander Bessamatic/Retina Kodak DKL to K mount adapter (example) DKL is the same thing as Vogitlander/Retina, correct?
1.1p 3rd party Voigtlander Bessamatic/Retina Kodak DKL to m42 adapter + any m42-K mount adapter (example)

1.2: no infinity focus

1.2a 3rd party m42-K mount adapter
1.2b 3rd party m39-K mount adapter (example)
1.2c 3rd party Nikon F to K mount adapter (example)
1.2d 3rd party Nikon F to m42 adapter + any m42-K mount adapter (example)
[1.2e 3rd party (SCOPTIC, made in China) Canon FD to K mount adapter modified by removing the optical elements (simple), SCOPTIC makes a glass less version for FD to Nikon F, but not for Pentax, but you can easilly make the glass adapter a glass-less adapter yourself, see 3b]

Category 2: adapter without lens element that makes lens fit Pentax DSLR when adapter have replaced the original lens mount on the lens (reversible)

2a 3rd party Leica R (6 screw version) to K mount adapter (example)
2b 3rd party Leica R (10 screw version) to K mount adapter (example) what is this with 6 or 10 screws? important?
2c 3rd party Topcon RE to K mount adapter (example)

Category 3: adapter with optical elements that fit between Pentax DSLR and lens

3a 3rd party Nikon-F to K mount adapter (example) - crop factor 1.25x
3b 3rd party (SCOPTIC, made in China) Canon FD to K mount adapter (example) - crop factor 1.43x

Category 4: special purpose

4a 3rd party Pentacon 6/Kiev 60 to K mount shift adapter (example)
4b 3rd party Pentacon 6/Kiev 60 to K mount tilt adapter

Category 5: Universal mounts

5a Tamron Adaptall 2 to K mount adapter (example)
5b 3rd party adaptall 2 to K mount adapter
5c Tamron adaptall 2 to KA mount adapter
5d 3rd party adaptall 2 to KA mount adapter does this exist??
5e Tamron adaptall 2 to m42 adapter + any infinity m42-K mount adapter
5e 3rd party adaptall 2 to m42 adapter + any infinity m42-K mount adapter
5f Tamron adaptall (1) to K mount adapter does this exist??
5g Tamron adaptall (1) to m42 adapter
5h Tamron adaptamatic to K mount adapter does this exist??
5i Tamron adaptamatic to m42 adapter
5j T2 to K mount adapter
5k T2 to m42 adapter + any infinity m42-K mount adapter

What about TX, S/Y and other universal mounts???

Me myself are first of all curious about the Leica R, Topcon RE and Bessamatic/Retina adapters, but at the right price I will try anything. Maybe the Canon FD adapter.
The ordinary m42, m39 adaptors and a bunch of adaptall adapter I've already tried. Also have my own home made non-infinity Konica AR to K mount adapters that are mainly usefull for macro. But I don't think you can buy anything like that.

Last edited by Douglas_of_Sweden; 07-03-2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: new info
04-12-2010, 06:32 AM   #2

I don't think there is a third party Adaptall 2 to KA mount. It would require the electronic contacts of the KA-mount and the only adapter I know of that has A-contacts is the original KA Adaptall 2 adapter.
04-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the optically corrected nikon AI to PK adaptor . I measured the crop factor by using my adaptall
II 28 mm lens direct on my camera with k mount and then using a nikon adaptor plus the nikon to pk optically corrected adaptor. Works out to a 1.25X TC

I will report the. Canon fd adaptor when I get it. I will also post comparing issues between 50mm f1.8 nikon and canon lensas with adaptors
04-17-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EricR Quote
I don't think there is a third party Adaptall 2 to KA mount. It would require the electronic contacts of the KA-mount and the only adapter I know of that has A-contacts is the original KA Adaptall 2 adapter.
I suspect the same, but I'll keep it there for a while with the questionmark, to see if one shows up.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have the optically corrected nikon AI to PK adaptor . I measured the crop factor by using my adaptall
II 28 mm lens direct on my camera with k mount and then using a nikon adaptor plus the nikon to pk optically corrected adaptor. Works out to a 1.25X TC

I will report the. Canon fd adaptor when I get it. I will also post comparing issues between 50mm f1.8 nikon and canon lensas with adaptors
Thanks Lowell! I've edited and updated the list with your cropfactor estimate.

04-17-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

in re-reading the list, there are 2 tamron adaptall II to M42 amounts, one for Auto aperture and one for the Spotmatic ES II and Spotmatic F with aperture coupling and open aperture metering.

The Auto aperture version needs a modification to block the aperture open to the set point, otherwise it is stopped down all the time. This can be achieved by placing a 1/8 inch plastic tube around the aperture activating pin inside the adaptor, to block it in the depressed position
04-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
in re-reading the list, there are 2 tamron adaptall II to M42 amounts, one for Auto aperture and one for the Spotmatic ES II and Spotmatic F with aperture coupling and open aperture metering.

The Auto aperture version needs a modification to block the aperture open to the set point, otherwise it is stopped down all the time. This can be achieved by placing a 1/8 inch plastic tube around the aperture activating pin inside the adaptor, to block it in the depressed position
Does this make two or three versions? Can you help me out by suggesting how to define them in the list?

I think I have also seen 3rd party m42 adaptal 2 adapters that appears to be very simple, just the m42 threads without any auto apperture connection. But is there any 3rd party versions with auto apperture connection?
04-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are at least 2. Versions the m42 auto and the one for the ESII and F.

04-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, while it is not exact, I got my FD to PK adaptor today. I ordered from Jinfinance, and the adaptor is made by "success optics Co., LTD or scoptic as is marked on the box.,

I ran a really quick test, comparing the Nikon AI-PK adaptor using a 50mm F1.8 Nikkor AI lens, to the canon FD-PK adaptor using a canon FD 50mm F1.8 lens.

This is the best I can do as I don't have an adaptall II adaptor for canon to use the exact same 28mm lens to measure the focal length etc.

However, as I had already established the magnification of the Nikon to PK adaptor at 1.25, and assuming both lenses are really 50mm F1.8 (I think this is pretty safe), the canon adaptor is Magnification factor 1.43 and a full stop loss of light. This is confirmed by the shift in shutter speed between the two adaptors and primes, while both were wide open.

the two images below show the difference between the two pairs of lenses and adaptors, with the FD-PK adaptor plus lens seeming a little sharper (bottom image). both shot from as close to the same point as possible. Edit note, In hindsight, I shot them from different angles (you can tell from the background) and this may account for the canon appearing sharper, the subject is closer to perpendicular to the lens axis.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 04-21-2010 at 10:02 AM.
04-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great work Lowell. Hope you will post more when you get time to test them further. 1.43x was a bit more than I was hoping for. Currently my only FD mount is a vivitar 20mm, and such a crop factors sort of destroy the fun with that lens.

A stupid question, does these optical adapters cover full frame, or just APS-C? Try put them on a film body if you have one around.

I've got a tough deadline at work the 27th, but after that I will try to read up on the different m42 adaptall versions. About the T and YS mounts, I seam to remember a webpage on these called something like "T for two", but can't find it right now. Bookmark is on a dead laptop.

Whichever of the FD, Nikon F, Voigtlander/Retina, Leica R or Topcon RE adapters I will go for first will probably depend on what lenses I can pick up.
04-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Great work Lowell. Hope you will post more when you get time to test them further. 1.43x was a bit more than I was hoping for. Currently my only FD mount is a vivitar 20mm, and such a crop factors sort of destroy the fun with that lens.

A stupid question, does these optical adapters cover full frame, or just APS-C? Try put them on a film body if you have one around.

I've got a tough deadline at work the 27th, but after that I will try to read up on the different m42 adaptall versions. About the T and YS mounts, I seam to remember a webpage on these called something like "T for two", but can't find it right now. Bookmark is on a dead laptop.

Whichever of the FD, Nikon F, Voigtlander/Retina, Leica R or Topcon RE adapters I will go for first will probably depend on what lenses I can pick up.
Note, both cover apparently a full frame, based upon looking through my KX

I was also suprised about the difference in magnification, considering the canon adaptor is about 4.5mm thinner which would be consistent with the registry difference canon to nikon, but note that they are not the same manufacturer

Perhaps if you try the one from russia (FD to PK) which is what my Nikon AI to PK is you will find it is also 1.25x

regardless, it makes a 20mm useless, or at least a very slow normal lens.

My interest would be more portrait or telephoto.
04-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just received a FD to K adapter today. Unfortunately it is a terrible day for photography. I'll post a few pics tomorrow.
04-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I just received a FD to K adapter today. Unfortunately it is a terrible day for photography. I'll post a few pics tomorrow.
the question is, where did you buy it.

I got mine from jinfinance.

also, to measure focal length multiplier, what I did was to take a shot with a lens of known focal length, and measure the pixels between two points, and then compare the ratio of pixels with the FD mount lens
04-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the question is, where did you buy it.

I got mine from jinfinance.

also, to measure focal length multiplier, what I did was to take a shot with a lens of known focal length, and measure the pixels between two points, and then compare the ratio of pixels with the FD mount lens
I bought the one from jinfinance as well, probably a day or two after you.

Definitely has a large magnification effect. Not useful at all for wide angle but will be nice for telephotos.

Vivitar 28mm @ f/8

Canon 50mm f/1.8 @ f/16

04-24-2010, 05:59 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So is this what and adaptall 2 to m42 ES/ES2 adapter should look like?
Tamron Adaptall 2 II mount Pentax ES ESII m42 - eBay (item 370311087399 end time May-23-10 10:25:15 PDT)
04-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Douglas

That's it,

I have an Auto M42 adaptor, which lacks the gear and the auto manual switch, so I put a 1/8 inch diameter tube around the pin (inside the mount) to keep the aparture stopped down.