Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Testing Focus Magic on a bad photo

Yesterday, 7 May 2010, at 6:42 pm Mountain Time, I attempted to photograph these geese. Of a dozen or so photos, this one was the best. The focus point is way in front of the geese, which I have not yet identified.

Here is the original. K10D, ISO 400, M 400/5.6, F 1.7X AF, RAW:PEF, 1/250", f/5.6 (Effective f/9.5). We don't remember ever seeing any geese other than Canada Geese stopping here on their migration. I will attempt to identify them and edit this post.

And here is the crop that I used

And here is where I got with Focus Magic after about 15 minutes on my first try.

I'm not overly happy with the results, but they do appear better than the original. I think I need a lot more practice.

05-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's no magic bullet, but does help is the focus is slightly off.

It appears it changed the colors, though?
05-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
FocusMagic doesn't change colours.
This must be the result of a different JPG conversion.
05-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Snow Goose?

05-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

How does it look full-size or less cropped?

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I said it in jest, I know it doesn't change colors and figured I'd point out that he used processed it in some way along with FM

Last edited by Eruditass; 05-07-2010 at 10:04 PM.
05-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's no magic bullet, but does help is the focus is slightly off.

Actually, I changed the colours. I should have noted that. I used Lightroom to change the white balance to correct. It was a very dark, cloudy day. It was starting to spit snow by the time I had taken the last shot, and it was quite late in the day (6:42) at altitude (3,800 ft). If you look at the first and second examples, the geese are blue.

Not the conversion. I did the white balance after Focus Magic.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Snow Goose?
As near as my have found so far, the closest matched photos on line are Lesser Snow Geese, but I am not overly confident with that. The flock is extremely small for those, and they have been there for three or four days. Yesterday was the first day that I could stand the weather and had the time to head out. At 3,800+ ft in the Rockies North of the 49th parallel, we see snow on the hills 12 months a year.

I'm hiking with a group tomorrow that includes a biologist and I'll ask her to have a look and/or recommend someone else who would have an idea.

Thanks for commenting, folks. My apologies for not doing the white balance first. I was not at all sure that Focus Magic could do anything with the 10 or 15 feet of front focus. This is my first real pass with it. I see possibilities, but this is a real hard test for any piece of software, even if someone did know what they were doing.
05-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
How does it look full-size or less cropped?

I said it in jest, I know it doesn't change colors
It looks more out of focus the bigger it is. The first image is what I got in camera, resized for the forum. The JPEG export has added the "grain"/"noise".
Here's a 100% from the unfixed original. If you want to have a shot at it, I can send you the PEF and let you have at it. The original PEF is only about half that bad for noise. I can even bring the copy back from the import backup to make sure I did nothing else before Focus Magic.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Focus Magic

The before and after should be apparent.

05-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The before and after should be apparent.
Nice work, Jim. It actually did quite a good job, considering what I gave it to work with. The image is actually fairly attractive, and a nice record for us of an unusual bird stopping over.
05-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

all I can say it doesn't do the chromatic aberrations present in your lenses any favours.
05-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
all I can say it doesn't do the chromatic aberrations present in your lenses any favours.
I have to continue testing with the 400 + 1.7X. I am getting the idea that they are just not compatible, exactly the opposite effect to what I get with the 1.7X and 50-135. There is a thread about that, and a second outing came up with some good images here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/92900-f-1-7x-a...-50-135-a.html

The CA came from causes completely unrelated to Focus Magic and fully related to the apparatus just behind the viewfinder. Me.
  1. CA is a definite problem with the M 400/5.6
  2. CA is at maximum wide open
  3. CA is there on every lens on out of focus highlight edges, and the geese were not in focus
  4. And then I multiplied it all by 1.7 with the converter.
05-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
  1. CA is there on every lens on out of focus highlight edges, and the geese were not in focus
That's right. Technically its not even CA since CA is defined for the focus plane only.
Even super expensive APO lenses will create colour abberrations outside the focus plane.
05-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's right. Technically its not even CA since CA is defined for the focus plane only.
Even super expensive APO lenses will create colour abberrations outside the focus plane.
I've never seen a term for the out of focus aberrations. I vaguely remember a thread that had a suggestion, but darned if I can remember what the topic was.
05-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I've never seen a term for the out of focus aberrations. I vaguely remember a thread that had a suggestion, but darned if I can remember what the topic was.
Falconeye proposed Color Fringe off the focus plane -- CFoF. Follow the link to see the respective post. The term is a translation of "Farbsäume außerhalb der Schärfeebene", coined by Wieland (Blende8).

Last edited by Class A; 05-08-2010 at 09:49 PM.
05-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Falconeye proposed Color Fringe off the focus plane -- CFoF. Follow the link to see the respective post. The term is a translation of "Farbsäume außerhalb der Schärfeebene", coined by Wieland (Blende8).
That's the thread. Good catch.