Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 06:45 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K7 lens profiles for DA* 16-50mm, DA* 50-135mm, and 18-55mm kit lenses

I created a few lens profiles for my K7 with the DA* 16-50mm, DA* 50-135mm, and the 18-55 kit lenses.

The profiles include focal lengths at both ends and near the middle. Hopefully that would give good estimates for anything in between (not sure how well Adobe does there).

Hopefully these will help. I would be very interested in hearing how well they work for you.
To install, you should be able to drop them into the lens profile folder.

On the Mac, UnZip them to:
~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/

On Windows 7, UnZip to:
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0

On Windows XP, Unzip to:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0

Find the files here:
DA* 16-50:
http://moringello.com/photo/pentax/lensprofiles/PENTAX_K-7_smc_PENTAX-DA_16-..._AL_IF_SDM.zip

DA* 50-135:
http://moringello.com/photo/pentax/lensprofiles/PENTAX_K-7_smc_PENTAX-DA_50-..._ED_IF_SDM.zip

18-55 kit:
http://moringello.com/photo/pentax/lensprofiles/PENTAX_K-7_smc_PENTAX-DA_18-55mm_kit_lens.zip

06-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #2

Which version of the 18-55 kit lens is this? Version I or one of the version II variants? Or wouldn't there be any difference?

Thanks
06-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pieter M Quote
Which version of the 18-55 kit lens is this? Version I or one of the version II variants? Or wouldn't there be any difference?

Thanks
The difference between the SMC PENTAX-DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL and AL II could affect the profile, as the optical formula is different (originally 12 elements in 9 groups, changed to 11 elements in 8 groups).

The WR version retains the same optical formula as the AL II.

The kit lens for the K-7 *should* be the WR version, but amoringello would likely need to confirm for sure that's the lens used. (I'm not familiar with the lcp format and whether we can confirm from the EXIF info used to create the profile...)
06-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Correct, the one that came with the K7, 18-55 WR.
Sorry, I thought I renamed the file with that in there, but apparently not. :-(

06-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Correct, the one that came with the K7, 18-55 WR.
Sorry, I thought I renamed the file with that in there, but apparently not. :-(
Thanks for the confirmation, and for taking the time to share your profiles!
06-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FYI, I did some quick comparison shots with and without the profile applied.
My DA*16-50 lens, K7 camera and remote flash transceivers all broke AGAIN today. ARGH!!! (all three have been in for repair at least once before... its enough to make me want to quite photography!!)

So sorry about the white balance. I could not find a good place to se up the tripod, so the images are a tad bit skewed. But it will give a decent idea how well the profiles work. No good examples for handling of chromatic aberration until I get the strobes working again.

Anyway, example images are here:
Again, I'd be interested in hearing how well these work for anyone else.

DA*16-50:
http://moringello.com/photo/pentax/lensprofiles/compare_16-50.jpg

DA* 50-135:
http://moringello.com/photo/pentax/lensprofiles/compare_50-135.jpg

DA 18-55 WR kit lens:
http://moringello.com/photo/pentax/lensprofiles/compare_18-55.jpg
06-18-2010, 02:27 AM   #7

Thank you SO MUCH amoringello !
And thank you to all you other contributors as well. Even though Pentax/Hoya can't/won't/forgot to send their lens profiles to Adobe, at least we have a GREAT community that takes care of its own.

06-18-2010, 03:21 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just a disclosure (I think I mentioned it but...)
The profiles can be made really complex and therefore probably of higher quality.
Its suggested you include something like the following list of images when creating profiles:
1. at least 3-4 focal lengths - e.g. 16, 29, 50 (this is what I did)
2. At least 3-4 apertures each - e.g. 2.8, f5.6, f8, f11
3. At least 3-4 focus distances each - e.g. 3ft, 6ft, 15ft, etc...

Thats a recommended 64 different sets of images analyzed into each lens profile.
With nine images for each set, that is 576 images required to complete a profile as recommended.
Yikes! I just simply do not do that much lens correction to make it that of much value.

I only did the three focal lengths. For me, this seems to work pretty darned well.
I am sure if I shot in many varied situations and wanted the absolute best chromatic aberration correction possible across whatever range the lens has, those other profile bits might help a little bit.

Anyway, hope they are still useful. I find it nice to automatically fix photos I would have normally left as-is. Who knows... maybe I'll start getting more critical and feel the need to update the profiles some day.

If I ever get that stuck into pixel peeping, please someone, just shoot me. :-) :-)
06-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I ever get that stuck into pixel peeping, please someone, just shoot me. :-) :-)
Well, thanks for pixel-peeping just long enough to get this done!
Everyone should give you a reputation point for your efforts (I just did).

BTW, when creating profiles with more focal lengths and apertures (576 shots!), you improve the vignette correction and CA correction. The "basics" that you've done here are enough to show the (rather dramatic) effect of distortion correction, which is what I think most people notice and appreciate.
06-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Just as a heads up, we have an "official" Adobe lens profile collection thread.
07-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #11

Work for K20D?

I created a few lens profiles for my K7 with the DA* 16-50mm, DA* 50-135mm, and the 18-55 kit lenses.

The profiles include focal lengths at both ends and near the middle. Hopefully that would give good estimates for anything in between (not sure how well Adobe does there).

Hopefully these will help. I would be very interested in hearing how well they work for you.
To install, you should be able to drop them into the lens profile folder.

On the Mac, UnZip them to:
~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/

On Windows 7, UnZip to:
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0

On Windows XP, Unzip to:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0

Find the files here:
DA* 16-50:
http://moringello.com/photo/pentax/lensprofiles/PENTAX_K-7_smc_PENTAX-DA_16-..._AL_IF_SDM.zip

DA* 50-135:
moringello.com

18-55 kit:
moringello.com
I have the K20D, will the DA* 16-50mm profile work for me?
07-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by det1rac Quote
I have the K20D, will the DA* 16-50mm profile work for me?
Yes, it should work. Although it's possible for profiles to be affected by the body (and hence best to get a profile shot with your own body if available, all other things being equal), the profiles aren't body-specific and should still provide an advantage for other bodies if shot properly.
07-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excuse me for asking, but why would anyone go to the trouble of creating profiles, when PTLens already has profiles for these and many other lenses that can be used on Pentax cameras for only $25 with free upgrades as new lenses are added? Is there something unique about these particular profiles that makes them preferable?

Honestly, I am not being critical. I just want to know if there is something that I am missing.

Rob
07-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Excuse me for asking, but why would anyone go to the trouble of creating profiles, when PTLens already has profiles for these and many other lenses that can be used on Pentax cameras for only $25 with free upgrades as new lenses are added? Is there something unique about these particular profiles that makes them preferable?

Honestly, I am not being critical. I just want to know if there is something that I am missing.

Rob
Don't you want a free lens correction for let's say... a super takumar 50 f1.4?
07-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote

Because you can use these profiles directly inside both Adobe Photoshop / Camera Raw, and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom -- two pieces of software many photographers already use -- with no need for plugins or external programs.

PTLens has a Photoshop plugin, but it's not as integrated as Adobe's own solution. In Lightroom it's even less so, since it can only function as an external editor.