Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Converting PEF to DNG

Ok, I tried a search and kept getting an invalid tag error (whatever that means, with a PEF DNG search string). My question is, What if anything, is lost when converting from PEF to DNG?

I ask because my current photoshop does not support the K5 PEF and I doubt it will. Adobe tends to not back support newer models in ACR and I'm not interested in upgrading at this point. I know there are some new flashy features of CS5 but I'd like to hang with the CS4 a little while longer.

Anyone?

11-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Jeff, you really shouldn't loose anything. The are both files that contain essentially unprocessed data (except for the embedded jpg), and EXIF.
11-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As far as the image goes you probably won't lose anything. I never have with my K10d.

However, I do lose some of the "maker notes" part of the EXIF data. Is it a problem? depends on how much you count on your metadata (that specific metadata). I do to an extent, but it is from a hobbyist standpoint as opposed to a need. It is also easy to copy that information over to the DNG if you need it (I've done it with a script that drives EXIFtools).
11-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
May lose stuff that only the Pentax software uses anyway, like lens corrections.

11-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
My question is, What if anything, is lost when converting from PEF to DNG?
for example so called "black masked-to-light" pixels which are part of the raw data read off the sensor and written by Pentax firmware in your in camera raw files, so if you sure that you will never venture outside of Adobe realm in raw converters, just use in camera .DNG... it is still a DNG file and it is guaranteed not to have anything lost by Adobe during PEF 2 DNG conversion... or use .PEF but do not delete them after PEF 2 DNG conversion...

in any case - read what Adobe's own employees who designing those things are saying :

Adobe Forums: RAW to DNG just some simple advice...

says Eric Chan of ACR team : "...for archival purposes I recommend (and practice) safely storing the original raw files in the form that they came off the camera, whether they be DNG or non-DNG..."

+

"...To be clear, Adobe did __not__ create DNG in the hopes that photographers shooting non-DNG raw files would suddenly convert them all to DNG files and then throw away their original non-DNG raw files..."

He knows better