Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CA correction who wants to participate in a comparison of software

Ok I want to see the best way to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I have an image that I will upload shortly, and make available by e-mail in DNG format to those willing to participate in the comparison. The photo was shot with my K10d and a sigma Mini-wide 28mm Macro which has a reputation of serious CA. The photo is a good example.

I have done CA removal using the pentax photo software (V4) which came with my K7 and also with my usual editor PSP X3

I will also post those results as they are quite suprising and quite different due to the different way the two programs work.

The idea would be to collect a comprehensive collection of reviews on different programs and the CA removal under the one thread using the one image for all programs, makin a standard reference. Only CA removal and contrast/ hue/ saturation will be requested, not sharpening or noise reduction

Who's in?

Photos to follow

06-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not particularly skilled at using the CA controls in ACDSee, but if no one else takes that up, I've give it a shot.
06-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can also have a crack at it using ACR/PS CS3. I would have to have access to the file through a permitted hosting site (currently subjected to a firewalled network).
06-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Count me in.

06-04-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I can also have a crack at it using ACR/PS CS3. I would have to have access to the file through a permitted hosting site (currently subjected to a firewalled network).
Ash. I can look to set up an FTP site or look at somehow putting the file on the forum somewhere but even zipped the DNG file is 13 MB
06-04-2011, 05:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Count me in.
What software?
06-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I can look to set up an FTP site or look at somehow putting the file on the forum somewhere but even zipped the DNG file is 13 MB
Size is not an issue for me, it's more the permitted/prohibited list of sites that I would have access to over the next week or so. Just go ahead and upload it into your intended host and I'll see how I go with it.

06-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pentax Photo Utility 4 vs Corel PSP X3

Ok, so here are the first comparisons.

CA correction with Corel PSP X3 and Pentax Photo Utility 4, and the uncorrected image.

Corel takes color corrections where you select in a window, the range of CA you want corrected, and then also the pixel radius you want to correct over. If you don't have enough range in the selection it skips some corrections, making you go back and do it again with different selectionss, same for the radius. it does not correct if the radius you select is too small. as a result, you can some times have spotty correction

by using this technique, the image resolution is quite poor as well as can be seen in the shots post processing.

Pentax on the other hand seems to provide some form of correction and actual layer by color resizing, as you move out from the middle, which really addresses CA as it is produced by the lens, and as a result, the corrected image gains considerably in sharpness.

Here is the total scene, in reduced resolution, and clips out of 2 spots uncorrected, corrected usingt pentax and corrected using corel

draw your own conclusions.

Edit note, I am still looking at best way to uplink the DNG file, so at present the only way to get it is via E-Mail

Whole Scene

Uncorrected sections

Pentax Corrected

Corel Corrected

06-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For all those interested send a PM and I will send you the file
06-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
What software?
acdSEE pro 4
Photoimpact
Power Retouche (plug in)

I have others that can correct CA and fringing but I never use them for that purpose.
06-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like the Pentax software does a great job.
PM sent.
06-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Looks like the Pentax software does a great job.
PM sent.
Like I said in the initial post
What does the best job making a silk purse out of a sow's ear

Just a quick note, it seems that the pentax digital camera utility can't do editing on JPEGs, at least the one I re-named

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 06-04-2011 at 04:12 PM.
06-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If you find a way to upload the DNG to a place where I can download it from, I'd be happy to process it with Lightroom 3.
06-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If you find a way to upload the DNG to a place where I can download it from, I'd be happy to process it with Lightroom 3.
Working on it

Can lightroommprocess jpg?
06-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry Lowell.
Cannot get permission to transfer file to personal computer where PS is at the moment.
Will be ashore in a week and will be able to do it then.
In the meantime, perhaps someone else with PS can chime in...