Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
<snip>
A good CRT has colour accuracy that rivals an LCD panel 10X the (original) price.
<snip>
A good NEW one does, but an old one? CRTs degrade over time in a number of ways.

08-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
A good NEW one does, but an old one? CRTs degrade over time in a number of ways.
Yes they do absolutely -
but mine appears to my eyes to be fine -
as I can pass just about all the calibration (by eye) tests -
and apparently sometimes better than some LCD monitors -
so it might be olde - but apparently in good working condition.

I would have replaced it already, if it were really sub-par -
as it is the "window" to my photography and surfing -
and way too important to have sub-par performance.
However I will agree it cannot possibly be the "bestest" in the world -
but hopefully most of us live in reality.......

Thanks for putting things into perspective.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 08-11-2011 at 09:31 AM.
08-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Whoa! - before any of this gets out of hand that first part about "insulting" was supposed to be a joke - good grief! - perhaps I was being too articulate - like a lorry/truck?
Hi
No problems, perhaps smileys don't work always so well, it just looked to me as if you meant it with the exclamation mark and all. But all is well.

Again, you did ask for help on a new LCD, however if after all that was said here you decide not to go ahead with it, that's fine, I have no qualms with this. I for one most decidedly do not feel personally affronted when advise given is not followed. You are your own man.

A good LCD may not be as unaffordable as you think and I certainly understand that "high end monitors" are in a different league. I can also see though that you are lusting after an LCD and I bet you won't stop until you have one sitting on your desk one day.

My comment as to real estate on the desk, radiation and so forth (as picked up by another contributor here) was only meant as an add on observation to complete the picture because it ought to be considered. Nothing more.

Last but not least, I do not agree what with the "calibrate by eye" theory, at least not to the point where you can get reliable, repeatable results or anywhere near perfect results. Of course if you have no other means available to calibrate your monitor it is a legitimate process and must be included in a summary of possibilities. However by doing so you have to rely on your eyes and your perception of the picture in front of you and this will mean there are a lot of variables, hence this procedure should only be seen as the best you can do under the circumstances.

Believe me I have been through this, you get some sort of a result but not a good one. At best, in my opinion, you might stumble upon a setting that you can live with. If you want to get your monitor, graphics card and printer sing along in perfect harmony you need calibration gear. Without it you waste a lot of time and paper (if you want to convert your images to print one way or another) and the expensive paper and ink you waste will kill you. (Not to mention if you want to print on different stock, in which case you have to create new print profiles) But I am not sure whether this is important to you as I do not know what your priorities are.

All is well
Greetings
08-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
But all is well.
Last but not least, I do not agree what with the "calibrate by eye" theory, at least not to the point where you can get reliable, repeatable results or anywhere near perfect results. Of course if you have no other means available to calibrate your monitor it is a legitimate process and must be included in a summary of possibilities. However by doing so you have to rely on your eyes and your perception of the picture in front of you and this will mean there are a lot of variables, hence this procedure should only be seen as the best you can do under the circumstances.
I absolutely accept what you are saying -
however not disagreeing -
but photography is a visual media -
so it is the eyes and the beholder that are the ultimate judges.

I happen to trust my eyes and my photographic judgement - this is not being conceited - and I will be the first to accept that I make mistakes (all the time) but once I recognize the mistake I can and do correct them.

To keep this post short -
let's just say a "better" monitor is well calibrated with one of the acknowledged colorimeter systems -
but the print does not quite match....
so what was used be able to tell that?
- the eyes?

08-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
but photography is a visual media - so it is the eyes and the beholder that are the ultimate judges
Hi
Absolutely, can't argue with that as long as what you see satisfies you there is no need to take it any further. You'll be the ultimate judge, its your Photo.

But wait, what if you got it wrong. (Of course you wouldn't really know because you like what you are seeing) In this forum here there are many post of photos with colour casts (and some are pretty bad) and when I politely point this out and post colour corrected samples of their shot back to them, I often get to hear "but I like it that way". That's O.K with me, can't argue with that. (And I don't) Doesn't make it right though.

So it is not a problem if the visual media is for your eyes only, send it out into the big wide world and it's a different story.

If you take a shot of a big yellow flower and you print this flower on a calibrated system and then hold this picture up next to that flower and picture and real flower match (notwithstanding metamerissing light conditions) than you have succeeded in producing a true representation of the object. I maintain you can only do this meaningfully with a known value colour calibrated system. Try as you might, you will struggle to do this by eye only. Of course you could artistically distort colours in a picture, but we are not talking about this.

Thank heavens we are all different, have different ideas and different points of view, makes the world go around.

Greetings
08-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Try as you might, you will struggle to do this by eye only.
You know despite all of our posting - I don't think we actually disagree that much - I have said very early on that an accurate and objective way to calibrate the monitor is to use a colorimeter system - and I have never refuted that.

[Note: importantly I have not advocated against using a colorimeter system,
nor even encouraged anyone (other than myself) to do calibration by eye -

(but please note an acknowledge authority on the subject on color management Bruce Fraser - with several books to his credit - actually said that one can calibrate by eye.) ]

All I have said is that one could also calibrate by eye -
and this appears to be our sticking point.

I still maintain that one can calibrate by eye -
I will grant that it may not be as easy or "objective" as an automated system -
but it can be satisfactory - to the eye of the beholder -
and as we have already agreed that it is the eye of the beholder that is the ultimate criteria.

I also will grant that not everyone has the same standards -
so what might be "good"/"accurate" to one may not be so for another -
and it is impossible to get everyone to agree anyway.

So it may come down to whether one trusts one's own eyes -
if you don't then absolutely use a colorimeter system -
even if one does - a colorimeter system is still an objective way of calibration.

But if one trusts one's own eyes then calibration by eye is a possibility -
because in the end the judgement of whether a print matches or not, is by eye anyway..... so we come down to the typical last mile syndrome - one ultimately has to use one's own eyes to make the judgement call.

Even comprehensive reviews of colorimeter systems - make the final judgement by the eyes of the reviewer on how well the print matches -

When we acquire such a system and put it to (hopefully good) use -
how do we judge how happy we are in the end -
it's by print matching - which is done by?
Eye.

But like I said I am quite happy with the calibration of my monitor - as my prints do match - both from my Epson Photo printer and for the prints I send out - now the latter is at least in the realms of the whole wide world.

OK come back to the original problems I had - ah-ha! you would shout that's exactly what a standard would solve - not so fast Tonto......

No matter how I calibrate the monitor I still could not reveal what LCD monitor apparently could see in my drastic selective area processing - and it was only by accessing the video controller directly that I could set my monitor so that I could see those problems.

Now the operative terms here are I had to set my monitor way out of calibration to do that - so a calibrated monitor would not have seen the problem.

Of course now we come full cycle to I should buy an LCD monitor -
BUT to see the "problem" I really ought to buy the most common LCD monitor (to be able to see as the majority sees) - that seriously means probably one of the cheapest and possibly not very suited LCD monitors (exactly NOT the ones recommended here) - AND I probably have to adjust it so that the problem is more easily revealed - so very likely out of calibration -

So we now have two very serious flaws -
and I am sure this is not what you (or anyone else) were recommending.

But this is what I needed to be able to do - see any more drastic selective area processing that an LCD monitor that may be too bright could easily see -
I have now achieved this with the help of timh to be able to access the video controller directly which allows me to put my monitor seriously out of calibration, so now I can see the drastic selective area pp.

So there is it - not exactly a nutshell summary - but a summary nevertheless of why I posted in the first place.

Like I have said I really do appreciate all the input and advice - which I know were given with basic good intentions - I have learned a lot and every advice given has caused me to do more research - even the advice I did not follow or even disagree with, has helped and I am not just saying that.

I'm not too sure pursuing this thread any further will produce any worthwhile gains.

I will merely be having to justify myself to each person -
I don't think this is the intent of these forums,
and way off base from the original purpose of this thread.

So I thank you for your input/advice -
you can tell it very obviously has not been ignored,
and I have thought a lot about it.

Thanks

Last edited by UnknownVT; 08-12-2011 at 09:57 AM.
01-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FWIW - I have finally entered the 21th century, and succumbed to the purchase of a LCD monitor.

By procrastinating I think I was able to get the desired technology without having the to pay too much premium/penalty for newer technology.

I ended up getting an IPS monitor that claims to have 100% sRGB
(many of the monitors I looked at spec'd only 72% or 82% color gamut - but it was not clear to me which color space gamut these were - of course the real high-end monitors claim AdobeRGB which I believe is wider than sRGB)
anyway I'm still looking for value for money - but without sacrificing too much coming from the potential100% sRGB of a crt. My short list included HP 2311xi and Dell S2240M

I bought:

Viewsonic VX2270Smh-LED (for just under $160 shipped)

on their web page for the product they say:
QuoteQuote:
sRGB Color Correction Technology Delivers the Most Accurate Color Performance Available
ViewSonic LCD monitors embedded sRGB color correction technology reproduce 100% sRGB rich color for color performance matching original input sources without decreasing or leveraging color quality. sRGB ensures all displayed images/videos are as natural as the original sources, displaying real color for captured camera and camcorder content.
and their datasheet:
QuoteQuote:
sRGB Color Correction Defines the Truest Color
Accurate and consistent color performance is essential for professionals in
graphic design, video editing and other professional environments. With built-in sRGB color correction technology, the VX2270Smh-LED can reproduce
100% sRGB rich color performance and capture the original and true colors
from screen to print.
However this post isn't just to update and tell everyone I bought a LCD monitor -
but the observation:

The Viewsonic VX2270Smh-LED has OSD - controls and under Color Adjust it has -
QuoteQuote:
Color Adjust provides several color adjustment modes, including preset color
temperatures and a User Color mode which allows independent adjustment of
red (R), green (G), and blue (B). The factory setting for this product is Native.

sRGB-This is quickly becoming the industry standard for color management,
with support being included in many of the latest applications. Enabling this
setting allows the LCD display to more accurately display colors the way they
were originally intended. Enabling the sRGB setting will cause the Contrast and
Brightness adjustments to be disabled.

Bluish-Adds blue to the screen image for cooler white (used in most office
settings with fluorescent lighting).

Cool-Adds blue to the screen image for cooler white (used in most office
settings with fluorescent lighting).

Native-Adds red to the screen image for warmer white and richer red.

Warm-Adds red to the screen image for warmer white and richer red.

User Color-Individual adjustments for red (R), green (G),and blue (B).
1.To select color (R, G or B) press button [2].
2.To adjust selected color, press ^ and v.
Setting sRGB - the screen immediately was dimmer from the factory default setting of "Native"
and did not look as contrasty/bright - and to be honest not as immediately appealing.

BUT the reason I looked up this old thread of mine was the references to the various screen checking sites that I had found useful:

Photo Friday: Monitor Calibration Tool
useful for checking white and black point/levels

QuickGamma
very useful and easy free utility to adjust screen gamma almost to any level.

and this gamma check page
I found to be more comprehensive and more easy to check the screen gamma level.

and set on sRGB this new monitor had no problems with the Photo Friday: Monitor Calibration Tool I could see all the levels A,B,C easily
the gamma check page shows that the monitor had very good gamma set to 2.2 standard too.

Overall I seem to be well pleased with this new monitor - which is available from one of PentaxForums.com supporting vendors B&H (same shipped price)
- I think this is a very good price for such a good IPS monitor with a preset for a claimed 100% sRGB .

01-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently upgraded to an IPS monitor. They are pricy but getting better and as with everything in life, there are compromises to be made. I ended up with a 23 in LG with LED backlights. For whatever reason, there is a huge price jump from 23 inch to 24 inch monitors and this monitor is just fine for me. The LED backlight is very bright but I can turn down the brightness and what I am getting is very close to my printer output. I generally have the brightness turned up a little higher for editing and viewing. I picked this up on sale during the holiday shopping season at Best Buy for $186 so IPS screens are getting more affordable. It does make a difference. You can probably grab these cheaper online but I'm still a brick and mortar store shopper when I can. The biggest thing that stood out in the store was the quality of the display compared to the others. They had about 25 monitors all on display and on. There were only 2 IPS panels there, the LG and a Dell and both of them stood out prominently from the rest. I would look straight on and all the monitors looked good. Walk a few feet to either side and the IPS displays still look good and the others look washed out and terrible. After a half hour of looking, I really couldn't see any difference between the LG and Dell (which was $100 more).

If there has been any problem, it's that since looking at a lot of my photos, I have had to readjust a lot of them. My old monitor had the same resolution but there is a noticeable difference. Both are 1920 x 1080 but the LG is sharper and crisper. I see some stuff I missed before and noise is especially more noticeable. I didn't have a big issue with color being off but again, the new monitor is much more sensitive to different shades. I am seeing things I didn't before.
01-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I recently upgraded to an IPS monitor. They are pricy but getting better and as with everything in life, there are compromises to be made. I ended up with a 23 in LG with LED backlights.
Many thanks for your response and impressions.
Do you have a model # for your new monitor, please?

Perhaps I can outline briefly how I ended up with the Viewsonic VX2270Smh-LED

I obviously did a fair bit of research when this thread was first active over a year ago -
one of my first calls was to ConsumerSearch.com on LCD monitors -
this is where they review the reviews -
ie: find all the reviews and come to some consensus -
the sort of thing I would do if I had all the resources.

Anyway it was there where I got "educated" on IPS monitors - as that was the type selected as the most suitable for "professional" photo work.
There was also a lot of advice given in this thread as well.

Further searching about IPS panels also came with the warning then that cheap IPS monitors probably should be avoided.
eg: 3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Buy A Cheap IPS Monitor (from only just a year ago) -

However I continued to search for low priced IPS monitors -
the usual thing I'd do is to search on Newegg.com under LCD monitor and do a search within with IPS - then sort lowest price (also can click on Refurbished) - this gives an idea of the low end prices.
Then I'd read the reviews there, and on Amazon, and anywhere else I could find.

Granted not particularly rigorous or scientific - but I was only "looking".

One of the areas I noted, but didn't know too much about - and the manufacturers' specs were NOT so helpful on was color gamut -
yet this was probably the single most important aspect - and the whole point of going IPS is to get more and better colors -

Of the IPS monitors I had initially shortlisted were between 72% and 82% gamut - but withOUT any indication of what color space.

At about.com: LCD Monitors and Color Gamuts
There are 3 standard color spaces for monitors;
sRGB, Adobe RGB and NTSC -
the latter I was surprised to see, and I assumed it was a TV standard...
QuoteQuote:
NTSC was the color space developed for the widest range of colors that can be represented to the human eye. Many may think that this has to do with the television standard group that it is named after, but it is not. Most real world devices to date do not have the ability to actually reach this level of color in a display.
Then:
QuoteQuote:
An LCD monitor's backlight is the key factor in determining its overall color gamut. The most common backlight used in an LCD is a CCFL (Cold-Cathode Fluorescent Light). These can generally produce around the 75% NTSC color gamut. Improved CCFL lights can be used to generate roughly 100% NTSC. Newer white LED backlighting has been able to actually generate greater than 100% NTSC color gamuts.
So LED backlight - but there was still the problem if lower priced LEDs were used that it really may not show more colors
or worse - the ability to boast/claim more colors, but skewed so the important color space for photos sRGB was still not 100%

Even though I now knew a bit more, that did not help in choosing an IPS monitor.

What I really wanted was an IPS monitor that wasn't just capable of showing more colors - but 100% sRGB - since that is the standard for photos.

Some may argue for Adobe RGB -
I tend to agree with Ken Rockwell's take:
sRGB vs. Adobe RGB

Scanning down the Newegg.com listing
something caught my eye "100% sRGB"
Asus PB238Q
here's a lower priced IPS monitor that is claiming 100% sRGB
QuoteQuote:
The Asus PB238Q LCD monitor adopts cutting-edge IPS panel to achieve brilliant, 100% RGB picture and 178°(H) / 178°(V) ultra wide viewing that eliminates color shift on your screen no matter where and how you look at it.
This can be found for just about $200 shipped - now we're talking!!!

I downloaded the Asus PB238Q pdf manual
the specs said nothing about 100% sRGB but it did say:
QuoteQuote:
sRGB: This is the best choice for viewing photos and graphics from PCs.
In the sRGB, the Saturation, Color Temp., Skin Tone, Sharpness, and ASCR functions are not user-configurable.
By my inference this is a PreSet where it is supposed to show sRGB and from the advert - 100% sRGB.

Of course I followed up to do a google of ips 100% sRGB -
where various monitors came up including the Asus PB238Q

But I also found out that a lot of the lower priced IPS panels are actually made by LG and there were even posts about great IPS graphics/photo monitors using LG panels as direct imports from Korea that were less than $500 (but why - especially if I can get 100% sRGB at a much lower price)

So it looked like the Asus PB238Q was going to be my choice.

But in that google was also the ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED it also claimed 100%sRGB:

But these were both 23" screens -
because I had limited desk-space I just checked to see if there was a 22" model of the same specs -
that's how I eventually found the monitor I bought - ViewSonic VX2270Smh-LED
QuoteQuote:
sRGB Color Correction Technology Delivers the Most Accurate Color Performance Available

ViewSonic LCD monitors embedded sRGB color correction technology reproduce 100% sRGB rich color for color performance matching original input sources without decreasing or leveraging color quality. sRGB ensures all displayed images/videos are as natural as the original sources, displaying real color for captured camera and camcorder content.
This is a sRGB preset that at least claims/advertizes 100% sRGB:

DataSheet:
QuoteQuote:
sRGB Color Correction Defines the Truest Color
Accurate and consistent color performance is essential for professionals in
graphic design, video editing and other professional environments. With built-in sRGB color correction technology, the VX2270Smh-LED can reproduce
100% sRGB rich color performance and capture the original and true colors
from screen to print.
Manual:
QuoteQuote:
sRGB-This is quickly becoming the industry standard for color management,
with support being included in many of the latest applications. Enabling this
setting allows the LCD display to more accurately display colors the way they
were originally intended. Enabling the sRGB setting will cause the Contrast and
Brightness adjustments to be disabled.
So in the end I have for less than $160 shipped - an IPS monitor that at least claims/advertizes to display 100% sRGB
and what is even better there is a PreSet to set (100%) sRGB color space.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 01-11-2013 at 11:12 AM.
01-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I bought the LG IPS235V. Best Buy was selling them like hotcakes at their Saratoga Springs, NY store. It's a 23 inch wide screen with 1920 x 1080 resolution. It has a D-sub, DVI-D, and HDMI inputs. I'm very satisfied with it. It was on sale at the time, I think marked down to $186 from $249.
01-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bought the LG IPS235V. Best Buy was selling them like hotcakes at their Saratoga Springs, NY store. It's a 23 inch wide screen with 1920 x 1080 resolution. It has a D-sub, DVI-D, and HDMI inputs. I'm very satisfied with it. It was on sale at the time, I think marked down to $186 from $249.
That seems like a very nice unit - and a real good price too
as a lot of posts on the web say a lot of IPS panels are made by LG -
so it is a very good brand.

I looked at the pdf manual for the LG IPS235V - and page: 18 -
QuoteQuote:
sRGB - It is a mode that the screen is adjusted to the standard sRGB.
and the pdf spec sheet said:
QuoteQuote:
Factory Calibration •
sRGB •
Looks like the LG IPS235V has a preset for sRGB mode (although it didn't say 100% sRGB)
it probably the best setting one can get for sRGB working.

Have you tried that sRGB setting?

You may be surprised, like I was, how the screen will dim compared to the default setting
and actually look duller than the default -
but once I was used to it - it was actually better and less tiring to use -
especially for any photo post processing -
and that's my usage criteria.

It seems a trend of a lot of more modern lcd IPS monitors to have a sRGB preset setting -
this has to be a good thing for us photographers.
01-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #42
Pentaxian

It's advertised as factory calibrated. I have my system set for sRGB and LG recommends using the DVI port for best response and quality. Other than brightness, I have changed no settings yet. I also installed the driver and ICC profile from the CD that came with it and I had to download an update. The monitor brightness was set at 100% as default and I turned it down to around 50. I'm planning to get a Spyder or X Rite calibration setup very soon. I've just had a whole lot of other things going on. I think we can thank Apple and Google for the recent drop in IPS monitor prices. The geek forums really lit up on the subject when IPads and Android tablets started coming out with these awesome IPS displays. Linus Torvalds went on a rant that went viral laying into the industry, questioning why a tablet that sells at $199 had IPS panels with awesome resolution and laptops and PC's that sell for over $1000 have crappy TN monitors with 1224 x 768 resolution and can't be used in sunlight. I think now, everybody is asking that question and demanding a quality monitor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I accept the fact that my LG probably isn't up to the same quality level as a $1000 NEC and they may have cut a corner building it but if I get accurate color that I really have to strain my eyes to tell the difference, then it is more than good enough for my needs.
01-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's advertised as factory calibrated. I have my system set for sRGB and LG recommends using the DVI port for best response and quality. Other than brightness, I have changed no settings yet. I also installed the driver and ICC profile from the CD that came with it and I had to download an update. The monitor brightness was set at 100% as default and I turned it down to around 50.
I think now, everybody is asking that question and demanding a quality monitor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I accept the fact that my LG probably isn't up to the same quality level as a $1000 NEC and they may have cut a corner building it but if I get accurate color that I really have to strain my eyes to tell the difference, then it is more than good enough for my needs.
You and me both - I couldn't agree more -
having factory calibrated sRGB seems the right way to go -
could it possibly make calibration tools less vital?
Because from the various visual tests my monitor set on sRGB preset seems very well adjusted/calibrated.

Interesting that you can adjust brightness,
it seems my ViewSonic 100% SRGB ips monitor - on sRGB preset - Contrast and Brightness adjustments are disabled,
whereas the Asus 100% sRGB ips - Saturation, Color Temp., Skin Tone, Sharpness, and ASCR functions are not user-configurable.

I can understand the Asus restrictions since that affects the colors -
but can't quite understand my ViewSonic's restriction surely brightness and contrast doesn't affect color gamut -
or does it?
01-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few more thoughts -

There now does seem like a trend for ips lcd monitors to come with a factory calibration/preset for sRGB (eg: Asus)
However only a few seem to actually explicitly claim or advertize 100% sRGB.

For me I think this is a very important aspect to have 100% sRGB -
since I cannot personally inspect every monitor - I have to go by the specs and adverts -
and for me the rule is unless it explicitly says 100% sRGB
I cannot assume/hope/wish that it is, even if there is a factory calibration/preset for sRGB.

Having said that I think the trend for having a factory calibration/preset of sRGB has to be a good thing for us photographers.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 01-12-2013 at 07:08 PM.
01-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
more discoveries -
apparently the latest ips technology is AH-IPS introduced by LG -

google on AH-IPS there are a few pages about it - since it is new -
LG Showcases New AH-IPS Displays, Coming To Products Soon ...
LG Display to Demonstrate AH-IPS 4K Display at Consumer ...

I mean CES 2013 was only this week!

Since 100% sRGB is important to me -
google AH-IPS 100%sRGB actually ends up finding the monitor I bought -

VX2270Smh-LED 22" (21.5" Viewable) Frameless LED Display ...
as well as the 23" version:
VX2370S-LED 23" Frameless LED Display - LCD Display - Products ...

So it seems like these were brand new introductions.

Also finds
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" Monitor with LED Details
at $800 retail price that specs >99% sRGB.

LG's own monitors were only found via this article:
LG IPS234V-PN 23 AH-IPS Panel LED Monitor, More colourful and ...

using that model # finally finds:
LG IPS234V-PN | LG USA
and
LG IPS224V-PN | LG USA

Both of these are new introductions LG's IPS4 series -
but LG almost seem to be hiding the bushel about these being AH-IPS -

I was very surprised that they do not seem to have a factory calibration/preset for sRGB
and they do not claim/advertize 100% sRGB

although the manual does show a "Picture Mode" under which there is a setting "Photo" (preset?)
it just says:
QuoteQuote:
FUNC. setting
PICTURE MODE
1 Press FUNC. button on the bottom of the Monitor set
to display the FUNC.OSD.
2 Enter to PICTURE MODE by pressing the ▼ button.
3 Set the options by pressing the ◄ or ► buttons.
4 Select exit to leave the OSD menu.To return to the
upper menu or set other menu items, use the up
arrow( )button.
PHOTO - It is a mode that the screen is adjusted to the best to view pictures.
but again no indication if it is 100% sRGB or even sRGB.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 01-13-2013 at 08:59 AM.