Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2012 Beginners guide to digital photo post processing tools

2012 Beginners guide to digital photo post processing tools

Compare Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Lightroom vs Paint.NET vs Bible vs Sagelight

Note this is just a simple comparison for some of the popular digital photo post processing tools. It is created by beginner for beginners and it is not aimed at professional post processing users. The main criteria is value for money, because with all the listed tools below you can basic beginners tasks.

Also there is an assumption you are amateur beginner and you shoot in JPG. Than you use the post processing tool for basic crop/rotate, adjust color/exposure, do some sharpening, and finally apply some effects.

Somehow complex shooting workflow involving RAW and all the hassle with converting it and choosing what exactly noise reductions in your post processing does not fit in my definition of beginner :-)

The main reason I have chosen Pentax camera is it has state of the art high-performance PRIME II (PENTAX Real Image Engine) imaging engine. So I want to use it to do pre-processing and all the raw to jpeg conversion on the fly, this way saving me some RAW processing hassle and a lot of time.

It is not pretending to be complete or extensive article covering all the post processing tools. The rating below is my personal rating reflecting my personal computer hardware used, and the way I do and like the post processing.

Tool

Adobe Photoshop CS5 Full version
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3
Paint.Net 3.5.1
Bible 5.2.3 Pro
Sagelight 4
Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Ultimate

Price

699 USD
299 USD
Free
199 USD
39 USD
99 USD

=============================================

As you see my personal winner is Paint.net. Based on value for money and the fact it is full scale graphic editor. Note I am not advanced post processing user, which is ok because this is beginner comparison guide. Depending on your hardware, your OS platform, your post processing skills and what is your work flow you may choose something else.

Usually I do very basic post processing like levels and sharpening.
I use Pant.net because its free, source code is open, you can see what you get, has a histogram (better for single images editing then Lightroom IMHO), supports ready made photo effects like sharpening :-) and has very nice levels adjustments. Also supports free plug-ins if you want to go in depth of editing and effects.

Paint.net is full scale editor not cramped down version like Lightroom.

Here is some sample before post processing:

and the same image after adjusting levels (Paint.net menu Adjusting->Levels made output slide to 0.69 and apllying sharpening by Paint.net menu Effects->Photo->Sharpening 12)

Usually this is all the post processing I do. Here are some useful effects: http://users.telenet.be/krisvandermotten/Downloads/PaintDotNetEffects.html

Second place goes to Sagelight, based on its price, simplicity and easy of use, his advantage over Paint.net it is a tool created as photo post processing tool only. It has some dedicated photo processing features and presets. Basically the difference between Paint.NET and Sagelight is more or less the same as the difference between Photoshop CS and Lightroom. If you want more raw power go for paint, if you prefer more sophisticated photo processing only UI go for Sagelight.

Here is the same image with Sagelight Smart Fill Light applied:

By the way Sagelight is the fastest and probably the best if you do not need full scale graphic editor.

Third place goes to Lightroom 3.6 edition. The main reasons why the most popular tool Lightroom is so low in my rating is the price, and very complex and confisung for me image management features. For somebody that may be a plus, I just like it simple and easy to use.

Also the emphasis for me is on the shooting - I would like to spent more of my time on the field and less in the dark room. If you like to be more creative during post processing and even creating some photo art, fair enough I've seen some very nice pictures created this way, but than obviously my rating is completely not relevant to your case. Probably you already use Photoshop or Lightroom with Nik's advanced tools.

If the quality and the advanced filters and processing is more important for you then value for money, forget about the rating and juts get latest Adobe LR with complete set of Nik's advanced tools.

Lightroom has many handy functions like you can select your favorite processing options and to save them in uswer defined preset. Or there many already developed presets that you can use to add nice effects to your photo.

LR wins Number #1 place based on quality, advanced filters and processing and rich feature set.

I have tried the new LR 4 beta and it is very convenient with direct publishing services to Facebook, Flickr and mane more.

Compared to Thinkpad on my DELL Quad core laptop with dedicated video card it works very fast.

Note I still use it together with Paint.net, paint has better level adjustment tool it shows both input and output histograms, so what I do is quickly adjust levels in Paint.net and then do the rest in LR.

Adobe Photoshop CS is de facto standard for all professional post processing, however I am not a professional, do not need it and do not like it because its is very heavy on the hardware. For example my mere ultra low voltage Thinkpad with 1.6 GHz processor and 2 Gb of RAM takes exactly 160 seconds just to save the image in Nik's Color Efex Pro 4.

After sharpening, noise and liht fixing in Lightroom 3.6:

After revealing details Don Smith's preset effect:

I assure you the cat is not as mean as it looks like after the fix LOL

Obviously in the wrong hands Photoshop is fun: http://www.psdisasters.com/

There is huge LR comunity out there with a lot of tips, say how you can do pop eyes to your uncle in 3 steps: http://www.3dzin.com/archives/1027

Here is our sample cat like really bad boy:

Although no problem we can do the same in any tool say Paint.net.

Elements version 10 has many improvements, however it looks to me as cut down Photoshop without Lightroom advantages, but it is a good offer at 99 USD. As well as many more free tools like Picassa.

Pentax PDCU tool looks very promising, however I have tried to use it and the user interface is very confusing, bare in mind I am software programmer, so not for the faint of heart. Also crashing all the time with some C++ errors, after the last crash just had given up on it. Some guys say it has very good RAW engine, probably but I shoot in JPG.

Selection editing means layers support:
  1. Create a Layer - one for each group of adjustments you want to make
  2. Create one or more Regions - each region selects a part of the image to adjust. Use a paintbrush for small details and fine-tuned control, or polygons and freeform curves to select large areas quickly
  3. Apply image adjusments - which will automatically adjust only the portions of the image selected by the regions

Last edited by Wolfie665; 01-14-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added LR 4 beta test
01-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #2

The formatting makes this hard to read, but are you claiming there is no sharpening or histogram for LR3? That would be incorrect, and I believe there are also plug-ins for LR.
01-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
The formatting makes this hard to read, but are you claiming there is no sharpening or histogram for LR3? That would be incorrect, and I believe there are also plug-ins for LR.
Sorry about formatting WYSIWYG editor lost my table formatting.

Fixed the Histogram, there are no layers in LR3 and according to LR forum Sharpening In LightRoom

It lacks output sharpening out fo the box.
01-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You left out Paint Shop Pro X4 by Corel. Best bang for the buck. 95% of photoshops tools for a fraction of the price. Great program. Lightroom is not designed to be an editing program although it does contains some editing tools. It is meant as a raw processor and organizer. I use Lightroom to process raw images and PSP X4 for any further editing, if necessary.

01-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #5

The embedded table/document wasn't there before, that's much better.

You were quoting from LR 1.x or 2.x back in 2008 in the link you gave.
LR3 certainly has sharpening: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 * Sharpening, noise reduction, and process version
(out of the box)
And plug-ins: Adobe - Photoshop Lightroom 3: Plug-ins

You're right, there are no layers, but the above items are still incorrect in your doc for modern/current versions of LR.

The selection editing - want to explain more on this one? LR3 has this to some extent, but it may depend on your definition, via adjustment brushes, etc. ???
01-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
a beginner's guide should be written for beginners, not by a beginner. you're not helping anyone by posting false negative info about software you've obviously never used. did someone from adobe run over your dog or something?
01-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
The embedded table/document wasn't there before, that's much better.

You were quoting from LR 1.x or 2.x back in 2008 in the link you gave.
LR3 certainly has sharpening: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 * Sharpening, noise reduction, and process version
(out of the box)
And plug-ins: Adobe - Photoshop Lightroom 3: Plug-ins

You're right, there are no layers, but the above items are still incorrect in your doc for modern/current versions of LR.

The selection editing - want to explain more on this one? LR3 has this to some extent, but it may depend on your definition, via adjustment brushes, etc. ???
Added sharpening and plugins support to LR 3 as requested :-)

01-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
a beginner's guide should be written for beginners, not by a beginner. you're not helping anyone by posting false negative info about software you've obviously never used. did someone from adobe run over your dog or something?
As I have stated this is my rating based on my preferences, I do have used both CS and LR, do not think in my case they are good value for money.

If you point me what exactly is the false negative I will fix it.

Nothing to do with the dog although I do not like Adobe for the spyware reason I have stated :-)

And lack of Linux support. If you do not use Linux and do like Adobe fair enough use them both, you are not by any chance Adobe employee? LOL

Last edited by Wolfie665; 01-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.
01-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #9

Now that the table is showing up, you might want to get rid of the 'extra freeform data' - plugin support and sharpening are still showing as 'no' in the extra data, which I'm seeing at least on Safari.

Selection editing - need more info on your definition, you can do masks in LR and apply different exposure and other effects to that selection, this by my definition is 'selection editing,' no?

Paint.net is also for Windows only, but you list Windows/Linux. I wouldn't include running via WINE or vm in your platform listing.
Paint.NET - Download
01-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Now that the table is showing up, you might want to get rid of the 'extra freeform data' - plugin support and sharpening are still showing as 'no' in the extra data, which I'm seeing at least on Safari.

Selection editing - need more info on your definition, you can do masks in LR and apply different exposure and other effects to that selection, this by my definition is 'selection editing,' no?

Paint.net is also for Windows only, but you list Windows/Linux. I wouldn't include running via WINE or vm in your platform listing.
Paint.NET - Download

Done - removed vm use in Linux and added the selection Editing definition - you need Layers support for it.
01-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

As far as i know Photoshop CS comes with Adobe Bridge free of charge and that is a management tool

And you're missing one very important selection, Colour management should also be in the list and 16bit editing.
Most of th tools if not all in Photoshop work also on 16bit, is that true for the others also?

Your definition of selective editing is also very strange, it's the preciesly the same as layers in my book...
Or can you tell me the difference?
Also you discription of selective editing is preciesly how lightroom works though but instead of a layer it uses a mask but it has the same effect though.
01-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

that looks like a nice one
01-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
As far as i know Photoshop CS comes with Adobe Bridge free of charge and that is a management tool

And you're missing one very important selection, Colour management should also be in the list and 16bit editing.
Most of th tools if not all in Photoshop work also on 16bit, is that true for the others also?

Your definition of selective editing is also very strange, it's the preciesly the same as layers in my book...
Or can you tell me the difference?
Also you discription of selective editing is preciesly how lightroom works though but instead of a layer it uses a mask but it has the same effect though.
There are many free image management packages and yes I've missed many features, but it was supposed to be really short review.

All listed tools support 48 bit image editing, although sagelight claims to do more: A Great example of 48-Bit Editing vs. 24-Bit Editing

The definition is not mine its from bible and LR lacks full scale editor capabilities :-)

Do not get me wrong the CS and LR are excellent at what they do otherwise they should not have so big market share, it just happens in my review they are at the bottom based on the value for money and other things, like I am not a pro and do not need them :-))

IMHO if you are a beginner you can use paint.net or sagelight.

Last edited by Wolfie665; 01-02-2012 at 06:46 AM.
01-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

For Adobe , thé beginner software is Photo Element for $99 or less
01-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfie665 Quote
There are many free image management packages and yes I've missed many features, but it was supposed to be really short review.
Bridge is not free but it's part of photoshop, only it's a seperate program.
I beleive it's also in the package with for example illustrator.
Since adobe have several of these programs it's easier and better to have a seperate program instead of integrating it within each program.
So they are in a way correct you can't manage photos with photoshop but it does provide the tools in the package though so it's a bit unfair to give it a penalty

48bits editing of lower bits photos thing can be done with photoshop as well but you need to "force it" it doesn't do it automaticly but it's a pro software so you lot of feature need manually need to set.

I wonder how other programs fits in the list.

Last edited by Anvh; 01-02-2012 at 12:03 PM.