Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #1

Is there a program like/equivalent to PHOTOME for Mac OS X ?

I really like Photome, it provides a huge amount of information, is there an alternative to Photome for the Mac OS X ?, can I get the same information from Aperture 2 ?, thanks

10-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're at all comfortable with using the command line, in the Terminal, I highly recommend ExifTool. It can be simple to use, but it can be very powerful as well. An example of a simple use would be to type
Code:
exiftool _IGP5008.JPG
and exiftool would list all the metadata for the photo file... handy!

Edit: I believe you can demo Aperture and give it a try - I can't get all that info from Lightroom, but Aperture may provide it... I dunno...
10-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

ExifTool on it's own can be a little complex for those unsure to type in command line in Terminal. After downloading ExifTool, I recommend that you download and install the droplets created by Rob Lewis to extract the exif information [exiftool must be installed first). No typing needed and dead easy to use plus the info is easy to read.

Link: http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/List_Exif_Metadata.sit
10-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
I want to check the Shutter Count information, I cannot find it in "exiftool", do you know if it's possible to get the shutter count from exiftool ?, thanks

10-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
When I double click the "exif....metadata.sit" I get a bunch of characters, do I need a special decompressor to open this file ?, it's possible to get it in a different format ?, dmg ?, thanks
10-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #6

You would need to install Stuffit Lite, as the .sit is a compressed file from that application. Please do a search and you should be able to find it on the web. It used to be shareware/freeware for the expander, though I can't be sure as I have not used a Mac in a lot of years.

Hope this helps,

-thepusher
10-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
I want to check the Shutter Count information, I cannot find it in "exiftool", do you know if it's possible to get the shutter count from exiftool ?, thanks
exiftool should give you a very long list of attributes, one of which should be be Shuttter Count. Run exiftool on the file you're interested in and then use the Find tool from the edit menu to search for "Shutter Count". Alternatively you could use grep to filter for the term like this
Code:

exiftool _IGP5439.DNG | grep "Shutter Count"
which should return something like this...
Shutter Count : 5694

QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
When I double click the "exif....metadata.sit" I get a bunch of characters, do I need a special decompressor to open this file ?, it's possible to get it in a different format ?, dmg ?, thanks
Yeah, it wouldn't open on my mac either - I figure thepusher is right and it needs some sort of decompressor.

10-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #8

Original Poster
It's working, thanks a lot
10-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
exiftool _IGP5439.DNG | grep "Shutter Count" which should return something like this...

No need for grep, shutter count is a tag so simply use exiftool -tag filename.

exiftool -shuttercount /path/file_name

For jpegs only, there is Simple EXIF Viewer for Mac

Thank you
Russell
10-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't used PhotoME for quite a while, so my memory is spotty, but if you can get all the basic info with Command+I, other than shutter counts what would PhotoME offer?
Brian
11-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
SPB

None of this has helped so far my pictures taken with the smc Pentax-DA 1:3.2 21mm AL Limited show up in Aperture smc PENTAX-DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL. Using Exif Viewer 1/320s f/7.1 ISO100 21mm (35mm eq:31mm) - but the actual lens is not quoted in Exif Viewer.
11-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MacMetashow is another droplet which can show all info.
11-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
SPB

File Name : IMGP5454.jpg
Directory : /Users/Desktop
File Size : 496 kB
File Modification Date/Time : 2009:11:08 15:23:11
File Type : JPEG
MIME Type : image/jpeg
Image Width : 1936
Image Height : 1296
---- IPTC ----
Coded Character Set : ESC % G
Application Record Version : 2
Special Instructions : j04N5dcUTFOnd3D6NDizuw
---- IFD0 ----
Photometric Interpretation : Color Filter Array
Make : PENTAX Corporation
Camera Model Name : PENTAX K10D
Orientation : Horizontal (normal)
Software : K10D Ver 1.30
Modify Date : 2009:11:07 14:19:03
---- ExifIFD ----
Exposure Time : 1/320
F Number : 7.1
Exposure Program : Manual
ISO : 100
Date/Time Original : 2009:11:07 14:19:03
Create Date : 2009:11:07 14:19:03
Exposure Compensation : 0
Metering Mode : Center-weighted average
Flash : Off
Focal Length : 21.0mm
Exif Image Width : 1936
Exif Image Length : 1296
Sensing Method : One-chip color area
Custom Rendered : Normal
Exposure Mode : Manual
White Balance : Auto
Focal Length In 35mm Format : 31
Scene Capture Type : Standard
Contrast : High
Saturation : High
Sharpness : Hard
Subject Distance Range : Distant

Nothing about lens using MacMetaShow
11-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
EXIF Viewer

EXIF Viewer is a free program. I think I got it at macupdate.com. Put it in your dock. Drag the image onto it and you get all the EXIF data.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs
12-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #15
Forum Member

Shutter count software for Mac

I FINALLY found an accessory program that works with Exiftool for Mac (OS-X) without any command-line nonsense (why do I use Macs to begin with ? because I HATE command line, even more than Windows !!! >-) Do this:
1) download Exiftool for Mac from this site:
ExifTool by Phil Harvey
2) double click on it to install. 3) Scroll down on the same web page, under Related Utilities for Mac OS-X and click on: "Download three droplets to extract information [exiftool must be installed] (thanks to Rob Lewis)", then 4) double click on the archive to decompress it. Move the "List Exif Metadata" folder into the Applications folder (optional). 5) There are three "droplet" apps, and you can drag a JPEG image file taken with your camera onto the "List Exif Metadata (edit)" droplet and it will give you the shutter count along with a huge list of other data. The other two droplets also gave lots of data, but not the shutter count, for some odd reason.