Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom Camera Profiles are not Showing Up

I'm working my way through Lightroom 2.6 trying to master the finer points, and I am confused about the camera calibration section of the develop modules. In reading many posts here on PF, I see many people refer to using profiles, like adobe standard and camera standard, but the only profile I can choose from is called ACR 4.4. I am shooting raw using PEF format files.

Now here is where things get cloudy for me. I have CS4 and ACR 5.6 installed in addition to Lightroom, so why is the profile called ACR 4.4? Is that some standard that has nothing to do with Adobe Camera Raw?

Also, I can see the standard and adobe camera profiles (I have a K20D) in the C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles directory, so I am expecting to see a camera and adobe standard choice in the dropdown of the camera calibration section, but they don't appear either there or in the camera calibration tab in the camera raw plug-in.

So there is either something I am completely missing in how to use camera profiles, or there is some configuration problem with my machine, although I suppose being stupid is also an option

Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

I am using Win7 64-bit if that makes a difference, although I am not sure why it would.

01-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ACR 4.4 is Adobe Camera Raw version 4.4.

I too am running LR2.6 64bit on Win7-64bit and have CS4 with all the recent updates.

When I shoot PEF under calibration my options are "ACR 4.4", "Adobe Standard" & "Camera Standard". When I shoot DNG I also get "Embedded" as a calibration option. Color space (sRGB vs Adobe98) has no effect, btw.

(I always use ACR4.4, but that's irrelevant to your quandry)

I don't know what your issue might be though I would suspect it either is with file permissions on those profiles or that LR did not properly register them when it installed. But again, I'm just pokin the dark with a pointy stick...
01-20-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
ACR 4.4 is Adobe Camera Raw version 4.4.
That's what I thought, but why do I have a 4.4 showing up when it is ACR 5.6 that I have installed.

QuoteQuote:
When I shoot PEF under calibration my options are "ACR 4.4", "Adobe Standard" & "Camera Standard". When I shoot DNG I also get "Embedded" as a calibration option. Color space (sRGB vs Adobe98) has no effect, btw.
This is exactly what I was expecting. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on why they don't show up for me.
01-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I install Lightroom on my laptop and I have three choices there. ACR 4.4, Camera Standard and Adobe Standard. This is very frustrating because the profiles are clearly visible in the profile directory. I suppose I should head over to Adobe.com and post a message there.

01-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #5

camera profiles:
Adobe Standard - profile based on Adobe testing.
Camera Standard - profile based on the camera manufacturer.
Embedded (DNG) - the Jpeg settings in the camera.
ACR 4.4 - a profile from CS3 of which I don't recommend

Buy yourself a Color checker and make your own profiles using the DNG profile editor available from Adobe Labs.
01-21-2010, 05:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ultimately that's what I want to do, or something like that, but Lightroom doesn't even see other profiles. So the problem is not that I want to use adobe or camera standard, it's that Lightroom can't see them (or any other). The only choice it gives is ACR 4.4 even though the others are present.
01-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yaayyy!!! SOLUTION FOUND

Thanks to the clues from a user on the Adobe Lightroom forum, I found a solution. I thought I'd post the solution I found for posterity if anyone else runs into the same issue.

Basically, I re-installed the camera profiles by extracting the profile installer from the ACR 5.6 update for Photoshop Elements. This ACR update includes the camera profiles I guess because Elements comes without them.

The download was available by going here Adobe - Latest Product Updates and then choose Photoshop Elements from the drop down list, then ACR 5.6 update which is a ZIP that contains the profiles installer executable along with the ACR plugin for Elements.

I ran this profile installer and all is well. Now I'll be able to install custom profiles and have them show up.