Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Tripods, bags, lighting and other gear

Figured I'd get a chat started on tripods, flash units, gear bags, etc.

Namely, what are folks using, how they like them, is it worth the money, etc.

The intent is to learn, from real world experience, what has worked for folks to-date. This is not intended to become a "brag" post about the expensive gear folks own, nor is it intended to be for folks to solicit opinions on items they're considering buying.

The goal is for us to share real world feedback on what we own and use (current or past) to help others make informed purchase decisions.

I'll try to lay out a format for everyone to follow, too - add as you like to the list of actual accessories:

Tripod

Make:

Accessories:

Dislikes:

Cost New:

Flash Unit

Make:

Accessories:

Dislikes:

Cost New:

Gear Bag

Make:

Accessories:

Dislikes:

Cost New:

12-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Here's what I can add to the mix so far:

Gear Bag

Make: Lowepro, Apex 140 AW

Accessories: Came with an integrated belt loop, rain cover and lens cloth to protect the LCD screen

Likes: Love it - fits into my knapsack well for travel, long strap for around-the-body carry, holds the K10D w/18-55 lens on, the battery charger & cord, the lens flare thingie for the end of the lens, the case for my UV filter and the thick users guide for the camera. Comes with two Velcro/repositionable dividers.

Dislikes: If I want to carry another lens, some things clearly have to go...

Cost New: $79 CDN
12-14-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Support:

Manfrotto 190MF3/3437 Head--light enough to backpack, incredibly strong.
Bogen/Manfrotto 3001Pro/3275 Geared head or 3030 Pan-tilt-shift studio quality.
Mono pod-Manfrotto 3249/322r2 head-probably the most versatile support ever devised!

Cost New: Check B&H; $200.00US and up; these numbers will take your breath away! Photos taken from solid supports can have the same effect. If you want a gem of advise: get the mono pod and at least a good ball head. And then start thinking out of the box-it works at many different angles not just vertical! The squeeze grip head is expensive (even if it's incredibly handy).

Flash:

Make: Pentax 360 and 540, plus older units; several levels of studio lights from simple AC strobes to battery powered mono lights.

Accessories: Boxes, panels, snoots, gobos, blah, blah, blah.

Likes: Light is one thing that can be 'specialized'--do that and you will be happy. I prefer flash or strobe over continuous--mostly a time and portability thing, continuous lights get hot and need to cool before moving.
Dislikes: Always in the way...

Stowage:

Currently a Tamrac Expedition 5 backpack adorned with 6 or 8 MAS add-ons. Two large Pelican hard cases in the trunk with other 'possibles'.

Dislikes: Relatively compact.
12-14-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Tripod

Make: Velbon Carmagne 630 3-section thing

Accessories: A relatively cheap head: Manfrotto 486 RC2

Likes: The tripod was a great leap forward. I bought it about a year ago, finally ditching an old several kilograms heavy wooden thing I once got from my father. It was worn out, finally, the screw threads, Hurray! The Velbon is sturdy, easy to carry and it doesn't take long to have it stand up ready for work.
The head is a common ballhead. I like the Quick Release system. Maybe Manfrotto isn't the smartest on the market but it holds an ordinary camera with no problem. I have a Tele lens support, Manfrotto 3420, to go with it when using long lenses. Highly recommended. When at place it really helps with keeping things steady and it gives everything a nice balance.

Dislikes: The price of course. But that was one year ago and the tripod will last very long. The head is a little weak, it dips a few degrees when fastening it at an angle if the lens is heavy. The Tele support is tedious to setup.

Cost New: Houndreds. Check B+H.

Flash Unit: I have no flash.

Gear Bag:

General: Bags are nearly sensual things. They are not mentioned in singularis. You simply have several of them, collected by time, in different stages of more or less worn out. I'll mention just two here:

Make: Domke Satchel Junior

Accessories: An extra insert

Likes: Everything. This is a shoulder bag where the extra insert in practise makes for four departments within the main compartment. One smallish at one side. Then three bigger ones. The on in the middle of the bigger ones is for the camera (DS) with one lens mounted, the lens pointing downwards, then one or two lenses in the other ones. Two pockets make room for memory cards, batteries and so on. It doesn't look like an expensive thing, but like a... satchel.

Dislikes: It is a little too narrow for the K10D or bigger cameras.

Cost New: Maybe USD 90 ?

Make: LowePro Slingshot 200

Accessories: Nothing

Likes: Good when you are out for a long walk but still want to be able to get to your gear without totally having to stop and fiddle around. The inbuilt weather shield.

Dislikes: When "slingin" it around it gets a little high up on the chest. How long will those plastic zippers work?

Cost New: USD 80

I may get back and edit this. Feel free to ask questions.

12-14-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've probably got bag-buying addiction, instead of LBA. I'm the only person I know who has two bags for her camcorder (Lowepro Edit 110, 140).

Gear Bag

Make: Lowepro Slingshot AW 100

Accessories: n/a

Likes: I love this bag. I probably should have bought the 200 version, because it's a stretch for the K10+battery grip, but the upside is that I can't carry as much crap. The folks over at DPR say it's too small when using the grip, but it fits just fine. I like the built in micro-fiber cloth, and it's in a good spot to protect the LCD from scratches.
I've got room, barely, for a K10 +grip +small zoom attached, a 360 flash (540 is too big), and an additional short lens. There is plenty of room in the pockets for my extra batteries and cards, and a sandwich--essential photography equipment, and I can hang a tripod or lens case off the side if I need too. I've found that loosening the strap allows me to swing it around to the front more comfortably.

Dislikes: Might be a bit too small in the future if I acquire much more gear. The built-in memory card pocket butts right up against my LCD screen. If the microfiber cloth wasn't in the bag, I'd be worried that the pouch would scratch my LCD. I don't think I'd have enough room with the camera to actually put cards in it either, and I would have liked it better if the pouch was in an accessory pocket instead.
I wish there were more color options too. I liked the red accents of my PhotoRunner.

Cost New: $40 - but I got a deal. The bag retails for $80.

Gear Bag

Make: Lowepro PhotoRunner (in red!)

Likes: This was great for my ZX-10 +grip, +28-80 attached, the 100-300, and a flash. I stuffed batteries, filters, strap, etc. in the very generous accessory pocket, and there was room inside the bag for the rolls of film I was carrying. The waist belt was comfortable with the compression straps, and I don't have any complaints about the convertible shoulder strap, although I rarely used it.

Dislikes: I was hesitant to put the K10 in this bag because the interior of the top flap wasn't soft and fuzzy like the interior of the slingshot. I was afraid the zipper of the flap would also scratch my LCD. It was a disappointing realization because I loved this bag for my film camera stuff, but a scratch on the back of that camera wouldn't have affected the functionality of it. I would happily buy this bag again if they updated it for digital cameras. I looked for something similar (maybe deeper), but couldn't find it.

Cost New: No idea. Dad gave it to me before our Grand Canyon trip.

I really like Lowepro bags, although I'm considering a Crumpler backpack so I can carry my camera to campus next semester with my books. I'm pretty picky about what I carry my stuff in--I wouldn't be caught dead with a strictly photo-backpack (DORKY!), and don't really like carrying a shoulder bag (too much like a purse in the sizes that fit my sparse amount of gear), or a fitted SLR bag (don't really ever fit that well, and if I've got two lenses, I want to carry them).

Last edited by bdavis; 12-14-2006 at 05:04 PM.
12-16-2006, 05:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Tripod

Make: Velbon Victory 550

Likes: Very sturdy. Quick release plate that stays on the camera.

Dislikes: Heavy. I only use it at home. The quick release plate is a pain sometimes (camera isn't stable if I set it on a table) but I imagine all such set-ups are the same.

Cost New: No idea - it was a discounted floor model that I bought 20 years ago! Hm, maybe it's time for a nice new, light replacement...

Flash Unit

Make: Promaster 5750DX

Accessories: Digital and manual modules, cable, bracket (that I've used once), home-made diffusers of various sorts.

Likes: Digital modules allows full p-ttl with my DA lens, manual module allows it to work like an auto flash with my old manual lenses. It does all the twisy bendy things with the flash head.

Dislikes: Only 1/16 and full power - I had got so confused by the time I bought it I missed this point! The lack of high-speed synch has yet to be an issue.

Cost New: Flash and one module, around $200 US. Modules around $50 US. The cable about the same. Bracket? No idea, more than I should have paid, no doubt.

Gear Bag

Make: Lowepro Slingshot 200

Likes: Fits the camera and a few lenses with a little room left for other junk. I hike a good bit, and hate having the camera around my neck, so it's really handy to just swing the bag around and grab the camera.

Dislikes: Heavy on the one shoulder. The extra strap is totally useless, if anything it makes the pressure on my shoulder worse. Why doesn't it have a proper waist strap? I'm going to have to come up with a better solution for long hikes.

Cost New: I think it was $90 - $100 Canadian.
12-17-2006, 05:38 PM   #7

Tripod

Make: quantaray QSX

Dislikes:rotation features are very clunky

Cost New:$30, I think

Flash Unit

Make:Sunpack

Dislikes: very old, doesn't integrate well with my K100D

Cost New: no idea, it was purchased by my grandmother at least 25 years ago

Gear Bag

Make: Tamarac

Dislikes: the custom compartment divers are clumsy

Cost New: $30

03-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Just bumping, why not add your reply to the original one?!
03-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Tripod

Make: Hakuba S-6000

Accessories: None

Likes: It's a tripod and the only thing I have to keep my camera steady at the moment I bought it a few years ago primarily for my video camera. For the price and considering it's not intended for SLRs, it's not that bad for general photography.

Dislikes: Takes too long to adjust, it's difficult to get it to lock into a certain position (dips a little) and the panning handle stabs me in the chest when trying to look through the viewfinder

Cost New: $25

Flash Unit

None.

Gear Bag

Make: Roots Sling Backpack (RZ20BK)

Accessories: K100D with any lens attached fits nicely, 18-55mm, 50-200mm, 50mm, 2 close-up lenses, 3 filters, mini tripod, spare batteries, cable switch, small dust blower, spare SD cards, and one tiny space awaiting for my Zenitar FE.

Likes: Very compact, doesn't scream camera gear, comfortable to wear and it slings around to the front

Dislikes: Already getting too small for my LBA addiction I guess eventually I'll get tired of carrying the whole kit and caboodle and then it'll be perfect

Cost New:$49...I think?? on sale
03-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Photochop Quote
Tripod

Make: Hakuba S-6000

the panning handle stabs me in the chest when trying to look through the viewfinder
I mount the quick release plate so that the panning handle is to the side so that it doesn't poke me in the chest.
03-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Tripod

Make: unkown

Accessories: none

Dislikes: pretty much everything

Cost New: I think like 50 bucks

Flash Unit

Make: Pentax 540-FGZ

Dislikes: Consumption, size

Cost New: 350.00

Gear Bag

Make: Lowepro Compurover AW

Dislikes: size, only good for travels, hard to pull gear out when needed in a rush

Cost New: 199.99
03-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #12

Tripod

Make: Slik Pro 300 DX

Accessories: Manfrotto 484RC2 ballhead

Dislikes: a little short for me

Gear Bag #1

Make: Lowepro Slingshot 100

Accessories: Lowepro bottle bag, Tamrac filter belt pack

Likes: Great for short trips, holds everything I own (which isn't a lot).

Dislikes: Only one strap means a sore shoulder after a long day

Gear Bag #2

Make: Kata Focus N

Dislikes: accessory pockets are rounded
03-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
I mount the quick release plate so that the panning handle is to the side so that it doesn't poke me in the chest.
Thanks for the tip. I thought about doing that a while ago but I haven't tried it yet and I think I'll lose the portrait orientation setting wouldn't I? I'll have to give it a go later today.
03-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tripod: an old Velbon 5?

Accessories: 1 ball haed

Dislikes: It's heavy for aluminum

Cost New: In today's $'s?

Flash Unit: AF540FGZ

Accessories:

Dislikes: ditto

Cost New: 340

Gear Bag: Lowepro Reporter 400

Accessories: a couple side pouches

Likes: It holds tons, like 6 lenses, two bodies, flash, Sekonic, batteries, film, and on and on

Dislikes: Well, the one shoulder thing, but I use a Targus back pack if I'm going to be lugging too far.

Cost New: I don't recall numbers very well.
03-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Tripod: An old Vangaurd had it forever. Can't even think of where I got it.
Monopod: Dynatran At-1016
Likes: The tripod is old but it does the trick when I need it. The monopod I love it never had one but now even with the K10 and SR I still like it's flexibility. Great ball grip head.
Dislikes: Tripod - Don't like the adjustment knobs and is heavy. Monopod - it is a little heavy as well
Cost New: Monopod $45 ebay tribod - no clue

Flash Unit: Sigma 500 super
Accessories: Stofen
Dislikes: still not sure I know how to use all features and biggy NO wireless
Cost New: $239

Gear Bag: Tamarac Velocity 7
Likes: Small easy to carry around, fits K10 with 16-45 attached also the sigma 500 and a FA 80-200 and 50mm lens in the bottom. Great front pouch easy access. Also can hold if I leave the flash home and take it out of it's bag a Sigma 70-200 2.8.
Dislikes: None yet. but getting small if I want more then a few lenses
Cost New: can't remeber I think around $90.00.